Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
The ads seem effective at demonstrating there are a multitude of aps for fun or education, but don't we already know this?

I don't particularly like the ads, as there is no overriding cute or clever hook.

But perhaps the ads are not for me but for those that need to still get a clue about what the iPad can do.

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Add me to the list who didn't like these adds either.. I think Apple should start showing us the new adds before posting them on TV.. ;)

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Nice ads I guess. I'll still just stick with my Macbook (Air) and a phone - not buying more extra consumer crap...

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
The ads are decent but lacks the magic for me. Kinda like Apple's recent hardware releases and software updates, it's iconically Apple and does the job but more or less the same and predictable.

viperdriver5150

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Awful

I don't like these ads.

All these random people are screaming words at me.

Sounds like WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more. The people yelling out the words is really annoying. Apple usually get's their point across in a classy smart way and this is none of that.

I would like to buy an A Pat.......I would like to solve.

AWFUL

I do love my iPad and iPad mini though.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Right. The guy who envisioned the products and drove his design team to meet his vision and turned the company into a juggernaut should be left in the past because Tim `Mr. Logistics' is better at understanding consumers.

Um, I have a feeling it wasn't just Steve Jobs that envisioned all these products. Leander Kahney, who is writing a book on Jony Ive, interviewed a number of current and former employees. Pretty much everyone he interviewed said the idea that Steve dreamed up all this stuff and then told them to go build it is BS. Some said some of the stories around how a product came to life weren't true and were basically made up for marketing purposes.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
First apple itself stopped innovating, and now their advertising agency is headed down the same path.

The ad was "meh" ....

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I guess it all a matter of taste. To me, a minimal, straightforward ad that showcases the product itself, stands above one which has a bunch of people making faces at the camera, or a couple half-naked big-breasted women running in slow motion.
Big breasted women work for me every time.

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I like the concept, but I just don't like the 'yelling'. It's certainly 'loud', but I think that's the problem. Apple's ads usually engaging by being so simple and enjoyable to watch, but these deviate from that. The genius ads also deviated from that. The whole words changing quickly thing works really well, it's just the sound that bugs me. It jumps out at you and makes you want to mute it. Not what you want when you're trying to advertise something classy.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Annoying, childish, Microsoftish, irritating. . .

I am uncomfortable watching those videos. Makes me feel like I am watching Sesame Street.

Put these two commercials in the bad idea folder.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This is kinda like the original iPad ads but those were better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfbIVGES1I

My favorite is the iPad 2 one though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjqSsScRCwQ

I agree. These new ads are the same take on the original ads but not as effective. I think it would've been better if they focused on different settings and applications: living room, doctor's office, classroom, airport, gaming, music, etc. to show off the best iPad apps that aren't available for the other tablets.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Um, I have a feeling it wasn't just Steve Jobs that envisioned all these products. Leander Kahney, who is writing a book on Jony Ive, interviewed a number of current and former employees. Pretty much everyone he interviewed said the idea that Steve dreamed up all this stuff and then told them to go build it is BS. Some said some of the stories around how a product came to life weren't true and were basically made up for marketing purposes.

Yup, though Steve clearly brought his own style of running the company which I am sure Tim Cook doesn't entirely follow. That kind of thing really won't change the kind of products Apple makes, but it will change small things like how they market or release them.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Over one hundred posts about Apple advertising. Even the majority iHater crowd on MR post as they have nowhere to go to gush about Samsung ads. Only Apple, people, only Apple has this kind of draw. :apple:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
These commercials really highlight the need to redesign the full size iPad and cut the bezels off the sides.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Couldn't agree more. The people yelling out the words is really annoying. Apple usually get's their point across in a classy smart way and this is none of that.

I would like to buy an A Pat.......I would like to solve.

AWFUL

I do love my iPad and iPad mini though.

You already have an iPad/iPad mini. These ads aren't aimed at the Macrumors crowd, but the average user who is looking to get a tablet.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I'm mad at apple for not advertising as much as they should, or actually, as aggressively as they should. People loved the "I'm a Mac" commercials. They need that for iOS. Almost everyone know the features android has that iOS doesn't, but nobody has a clue about the extensive list of features iOS has that android does not. Plus Samsung definitely advertising way more than apple right now, it's like they own the subways now.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
There aren't the greatest of Apple's ads but i see what they are trying to accomplish with them.

These ads are very similar to the ones Microsoft is using for Windows 8, instead of the focus on a single task, like in other Apple commercials, these show a multitude of different tasks that can be accomplished on an iPad, like in the Windows 8 commercials.

And - they are imho much better than the ones from Microsoft in this regard, because they give each app a small bit more time on screen and are showing iconic stuff, so that it's more easy for the viewer to understand what he's seeing at any moment of the ad.

So maybe not the best ads we have seen from Apple, but imho still better than the ones from Microsoft, which are trying to convey the same message.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I don't like these ads.

All these random people are screaming words at me.

Sounds like WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!!!!!!!

Reminds me more of Sesame Street. Like when they have a certain word or number is showcased in a video, showing visual examples of that word/number and flashing the word on the screen every few seconds with a myriad of voices calling it out. I feel Apple should do better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.