Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
hey guys!

Just wanted to see all the projects people have come up with using their Raspberry pi.

I'll start, Using mine as a media centre. I tried Openelec but it used 100% cpu when idle so moved on to xbian and that is working great.

Attachments

• 12345678900.jpg
    12345678900.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 212

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I've been using raspBMC for airplay music streaming from my iphone in my room.

Did have it in the car which was cool but I don't think the power supply was consistent enough as it was a bit dodgy.
May get round to putting a proper PSU in sometime but they cost more than the pi itself so we'll have to see :p

EDIT: Oh and I'll post pics when I get home :)

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Got a case and wifi dongle for mine this weekend, installed Raspmc and connected it to a telly in our kitchen as haven't got round to putting an aerial socket there yet.
Works surprisingly well and can watch FreeView via TVcatchup and the terrestrial channel’s catchup services. Haven't got my head round how to tag my iTunes media for xbmc yet though.
Apart from the Pi I think I spent £5 on the case, £8 on the dongle and £7 on an SD card and use the free XBMC remote on my iPhone. I also needed an old USB keyboard for initial setup
If I'm honest though, I think I'd prefer an Apple TV there eventually but at the moment I have a perfectly usable and arguably more powerful device for around half the price.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Using mine currently just to trigger a row of LEDs via Python, got a pretty basic prototyping board set up with LEDs and 330r's on.

going to make a 3x3x3 LED Cube so make some cool light patterns on :)

SK360

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Beaver, PA
As soon as the raspberry pi/android builds of xbmc support HD audio bitstreaming/multichannel audio ill jump ship.

Looking at using one to build a DIY aquarium controller

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I plan on building a home automation system around a Raspberry Pi. I'll probably start out using Misterhouse and then write my own software in Python. It'll be INSTEON based using their USB interface adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.