Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Put grand theft auto 4 on the ipad first before comparing to to a ps3. I bet the ipad cant run GTA 4.

I think you're right, since Grand Theft Auto 4 was never released on iOS, but would a port of GTA 4 run on an iPad 4 or iPhone 5? I think you'd be surprised. Real Racing 3 is on par with Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
We all know that the launch of iPad 5 is just round the corner. One of the areas where Apple should be emphasizing is the Graphics power. Do you think that the new iPad 5 will have enough juice to create PS 3 like graphics. We all know PS 4 is coming out and I am not comparing an ipad with it.

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!!!!!

I've some rubbish on this forum before, but that tops it!!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
10-20 gigs is no sign of quality at all. Look at Tetris, one of the greatest and most played games of all time and one of the simplest.

I cant believe you missed my point.

----------

Since when do amazing graphics = great game?

Games were small & limited? Utter crap.

i agree, the funny thing is they are the games that we play on the iPads and iPhones ^.^

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
iPad and console like PS3 are two different products. They don't compete against each other. For serious gaming you need a controller or a mouse/ keyboard combo. From gaming perspective PS3 is like your Ferrari while an iPad is your Toyota (it is the other way around for consumer goods like mobile phones and tablets, Apple is your premium product) That is totally understandable as iPad's main purpose is not gaming but it does provide a very good mobile gaming experience. I think that is all it ever it will be.

All your great games have been produced for your Xbox 360 and PS3 like. They have the exclusives like COD, Gears of War and God of War to name a few. These wont make it to iPad.

I can not see how they can offer a product which is going to beat consoles. Even if they build the hardware but how are they going to convince gaming studios like Ubisoft. EA Sports, Activision, Valve and others to make games for iPad for $4.95? PS3 and Xbox are established players. They have a huge advantage over Apple in gaming.

----------

I think home console days are numbered. We are already seeing it's replacement waiting in the wings and it's called the $99 Ouya. :cool:

It will be one of the worst product ever to come out. Great hardware does not make for a great gaming device. You need the big studios backing up the hardware. Why would big studios support it? It will be just end up as a clumsy media player at best.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've been gaming since the 90's and while I own every console minus the Wii U. I've come to enjoy mobile games more and for the first time i'm not sure i'll get the PS4 or the next Xbox.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
I've been gaming since the 90's and while I own every console minus the Wii U. I've come to enjoy mobile games more and for the first time i'm not sure i'll get the PS4 or the next Xbox.

You are just getting old, lol. Lets be serious, you can not compare Angry Birds with God of War.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You are just getting old, lol. Lets be serious, you can not compare Angry Birds with God of War.

Ah but I never said that did I? Which I do own btw. :p

It's not only about the game but the ecosystem. I can get a virtually cheap game on my iPad or Android tablet and the purchase is quick and painless. I can take my iPad with me to read the latest headlines, listen to internet radio and play a game all on the same device and tuck it under my arm. For me it's more about convenience and value than plunking down $60 for one game.

You are right though maybe I am getting older and have tired of the traditional home console ecosystem. :)

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Can iPad 5 Compete with Playstation 3 if not upcoming PS 4?

Ah but I never said that did I? Which I do own btw. :p

It's not only about the game but the ecosystem. I can get a virtually cheap game on my iPad or Android tablet and the purchase is quick and painless. I can take my iPad with me to read the latest headlines, listen to internet radio and play a game all on the same device and tuck it under my arm. For me it's more about convenience and value than plunking down $60 for one game.

You are right though maybe I am getting older and have tired of the traditional home console ecosystem. :)

It comes down to what games you enjoy. Majority of gamers prefer console as a gaming device. Only way the iPad can take on big boys is that make it as powerful as PS3 or PS4, add a wireless controller, Air Play on your big screen TVs and get big studios to develop games for it. Now it is a tough call. Apple is not stupid to take that path because they know the fact that they don't call the shots in the gaming industry.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I think it is finally getting to PS2 level graphics. Who knows, with technology getting better at such an exponential rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see PS3 level graphics on an iPad in say 3 - 4 generations from now

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
I think it is finally getting to PS2 level graphics. Who knows, with technology getting better at such an exponential rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see PS3 level graphics on an iPad in say 3 - 4 generations from now

It will never be possible because of the graphics card and CPU used in PS3. It requires a fan to cool.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
It will never be possible because of the graphics card and CPU used in PS3. It requires a fan to cool.

Never is a very long time...

The power an iPad already has would have required fans to cool it not that many years ago. If technology keeps progressing as it has done then it's pretty much a certainty that PS3 level power will fit into an iPad at some point.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
well, the PSVita which produces PS3 level graphics has ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore
processor which is shared by A5 and A5X. im sure with the A6 chip, producing a high quality game on par with PS3 is definitely possible. the issue would be would game developers be willing to invest money on the level of investment made on PS3 and Vita games to produce the games. think about it, most games on iOS are less than 5 bucks vs. 40-60 bucks on a dedicated console. also, not having dedicated controllers definitely hurts the gaming experience. the touch screen interface is definitely built more for casual gaming than hardcore gaming due to lack of precision controls.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Real Racing 3 is on par with Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3.

From what I've seen, this is untrue. I have GT5, and it's certainly better than any of the footage I've seen of RR3. Not that RR3's graphics aren't spectacular for mobile devices by any means. When it comes out on the US store, I'll have to see it with my own eyes.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Never is a very long time...

The power an iPad already has would have required fans to cool it not that many years ago. If technology keeps progressing as it has done then it's pretty much a certainty that PS3 level power will fit into an iPad at some point.

It won't be on priority list for Apple. They are not going that path. Their main priority is to keep the lead in the Tablet and Phone market, that is their turf. I see no reason why they would go a different path? They might catch up with PS3 but where would be in few years time with PS and Xbox?

----------

the issue would be would game developers be willing to invest money on the level of investment made on PS3 and Vita games to produce the games. think about it, most games on iOS are less than 5 bucks vs. 40-60 bucks on a dedicated console. also, not having dedicated controllers definitely hurts the gaming experience. the touch screen interface is definitely built more for casual gaming than hardcore gaming due to lack of precision controls.

That is exactly the point. The gaming market is already taken by Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and PC. The developers are not going to be interested in making gaming for an Apple device. iPad and iPhone is only for small developers.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
well, the PSVita which produces PS3 level graphics

Even Sony doesn't claim that the Vita does this. Where are you getting your information? The Vita graphics, while good, are certainly not the same. Look at Uncharted 3 for PS3 and Uncharted 3's Vita counterpart; there is a clear and decisive difference in graphics quality.

----------

That is exactly the point. The gaming market is already taken by Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and PC. The developers are not going to be interested in making gaming for an Apple device. iPad and iPhone is only for small developers.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? In terms of the number of games (both existing and purchase numbers), the iOS gaming market is bigger than any other gaming market, bar none. This means the potential is HUGE; there are many big studio productions making games for iOS.

People seem to think that Apple isn't interested in the gaming market when there is clear evidence to contradict this. Apple isn't looking to oust anyone from the console market, but gaming is not an insignificant part of their ecosystem.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Numbers do not alone tell the whole story. These are two different platforms. There are only 800 games on PS3 and 130,000 games on iOS Platform but these games are from small developers often selling for free or 99 cents. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 made $500 million in retail sales in 24 hours. Can you imagine any game making so much on iOS platform? The games on iOS devices are good but only for casual game play. They do not immerse the gamers in a movie like experience. The only threat to Xbox 720 or PS4 can come from Valve's Steam Box as they already have an established market on PC. If they can make a really great hardware then Sony and Microsoft will have a real fight on their hands. Exciting times for gaming Industry but Apple won't come into the equation unless they make their own gaming console. Their previous efforts have been disappointing.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I think a lot of console sales have dropped off because the titles have gotten worse. Look at halo. Halo ce was genre defining compare to goldeneye/ perfect dark (n64), a huge step. Halo 2 was another big step graphically as well as gameplay (although it was made to be easier and more social). Halo 3, reach, and 4 are just awful. Call of duty past modern warfare is similiar.

I sold my 360 because there were no longer titles that I enjoyed as much( maybe i got old or maybe they suck) but I didn't want 5 year old tech driving Netflix or wasting my time with minecraft. There just hasn't been a "halo ce" like title in a while. There are ones that sells loads of units but not that develop cult like following (except Starcraft), and recieve game of the year for 4 years running. Hell the only award h4 got was best 360 game of the year. The online services have become watered down with kids/ party chats etc. so it's difficult to even talk to players without party boosting.

That an while a 360/ps3-4 does one thing (gaming) better than an iPad. An iPad does 860,000 other things impossible on that platform. Though the comparison is mute.

calilove

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I think a lot of console sales have dropped off because the titles have gotten worse. Look at halo. Halo ce was genre defining compare to goldeneye/ perfect dark (n64), a huge step. Halo 2 was another big step graphically as well as gameplay (although it was made to be easier and more social). Halo 3, reach, and 4 are just awful. Call of duty past modern warfare is similiar.

I sold my 360 because there were no longer titles that I enjoyed as much( maybe i got old or maybe they suck) but I didn't want 5 year old tech driving Netflix or wasting my time with minecraft. There just hasn't been a "halo ce" like title in a while. There are ones that sells loads of units but not that develop cult like following (except Starcraft), and recieve game of the year for 4 years running. Hell the only award h4 got was best 360 game of the year. The online services have become watered down with kids/ party chats etc. so it's difficult to even talk to players without party boosting.

That an while a 360/ps3-4 does one thing (gaming) better than an iPad. An iPad does 860,000 other things impossible on that platform. Though the comparison is mute.

This happens every single console generation. Devs do not release new IP on dying hardware, they launch new IP usually in year two of the generation and then release sequels until the next platform comes out.

When the consoles come out, pc gaming will decline, then people will say pc gaming is dead. Around year 3.5-4 of the generation, pc games will come back because the hardware is so much better than the consoles.

These things happen literally every single generation.

And the only people being snobs in this thread are the people that are claiming the ipad has ps3 graphics. Get over it, your ipad pails in comparison to a ps3, it pails in comparison to a ps2, people need to look up hd screens of ps2 games run on an emulator.

The only reason people think the ipad has good graphics is the retina display. This display makes people believe graphics are good. Example: when the retina came out people thought the internet looked bad. All the devs did to fix this problem was introduce higher res graphics. They did not improve the graphics, or come up with new tech, they just increased resolution.

This is not good enough anymore for serious or hardcore gamers, when I pick up an ipad game I see all the tricks the devs use to hide problems. You have static backgrounds, 2d backgrounds, no AA, no HDR or Bloom, controlled field of view, linear progression, movement restrictions.

This does not mean the ipad is bad at gaming, it just means it cannot compete with consoles or a pc.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Can someone tell me a game on iOS which is movie like and great story telling like God of War, Killzone and Uncharted series? The only use I find for the games on Apple devices is when I am out and about trying to kill some time like waiting for a train.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
iPads good for casual gamers but not hardcore gamers. It's not powerful enough and it's not ideal as a console. Hardcore gamers prefer big screens and even if Apple TV is used to connect to a TV, it's not the right weight, size or shape to be a good controller.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Get over it, your ipad pails in comparison to a ps3, it pails in comparison to a ps2, people need to look up hd screens of ps2 games run on an emulator.

While you're correct on the first count, the second is a bit unfair. Using an emulator to boost graphics to HD resolutions is beyond the scope of what the PS2 could reproduce. IF we're making this comparison (and it's really a poor comparison to make), then we need to stick to what the actual hardware is capable of. InfinityBlade II looks better than anything I've seen out of a PS2. Or how about Real Racing 3? Let's do a test. Gran Turismo 4 is by far the best-looking racing game for the PS2. Real Racing 3 is almost certainly the best-looking racing game for iPad. Let us compare screenshots of the two.

GT4 for PS2:
ps2_gt4_292.jpg

RR3 for iPad:
original.jpg

Do you honestly want to tell me that the graphics from an iPad pale in comparison to the PS2? PS2 level graphics are certainly achievable, as you can see. I dare you to claim that PS2 graphics are better than anything the iPad can put out.

I think we can all agree the iPad isn't catching up the the PS4 graphics any time soon. The current gen iPad is woefully, pitifully, incredibly outclassed by the specs Sony revealed yesterday, vague as they were.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I think the big thing to realise here is that we're at the point now where graphical improvements are no longer as important as they were.

PS1 to PS2 was a massive leap in graphical quality. PS2 to PS3 was a big leap as well, but not to the extent that PS2 looks unbearably bad. Cars in GT4 still look pretty accurate and true to life. PS1, they had blocky textures and grainy shading, etc.

Prior to the PS1 and 3d acceleration on PCs, 3d games were considered pretty advanced if they ran at more than say 10 fps and had any texture mapping at all. Full texture mapping at 30fps was another massive leap - the difference between flat shading and textured polygons was extremely visible, as was the difference between 10 fps and 30 fps.

I guess what I'm saying is that to compete in the gaming market, so long as your graphics are "good enough" these days (hard to determine, but i'd suggest "ps2 standard or better"), being on the bleeding edge is no longer quite as important. Even on 5 year old hardware, cars still look like cars, 3d can still run at 30-60fps, etc.

Sure, the level of detail may not be exactly the same in still frame captures, but in a game that has fast paced movement, this may not be as important. So long as the hardware can convey a sense of speed and fluidity of movement with an acceptable level of detail, it is "good enough" and other things start to become more important.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
PS4 has 1840 FLOPS of processing power that can be freely applied to graphics. What does an ipad have 40???

End of thread.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.