Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therationalist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
He is the definition for bloatware:

"Software whose usefulness is reduced because of the excessive disk-space and memory it requires."

The iPhone does not have any bloatware on it at all.

"The term bloatware is also applied to preinstalled software on a device, usually by the hardware manufacturer, that is unwanted"

Son, seems like apple maps, compass, newsstand fit the description perfectly. Do you always get this defensive when iphones are rightfully criticized?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
How about Carrier IQ, compass, and newsstand?

Not bloatware since they are part of the OS. The crap carriers put on androids is bloat. Also With carrier IQ it was no longer supported in ios 5 and completely removed in ios6. Compass I just throw into a folder with other apps I never use like apple maps (garmin is much better then apple maps and google maps). With Newsstand I actually use that for my magazines so its not useless for me.

----------

"The term bloatware is also applied to preinstalled software on a device, usually by the hardware manufacturer, that is unwanted"

Son, seems like apple maps, compass, newsstand fit the description perfectly. Do you always get this defensive when iphones are rightfully criticized?

If that was the case then android users wouldn't praise the nexus series devices as not having bloat ware because then by that definition you can say that everything on the phone is bloat ware.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The op guy is being twisted for twisted sake. Bloatware - get real! Just because you don't use it does not mean others don't....

Maps - turn by turn when I drive.
Compass - when I go orienteering in Ireland it's very handy.
Newsstand - Metro app, Magazines subscriptions, Newspapers
Passbook - Coffee shops, Oyster card, Flight boarding when I go to the USA, others

If you consider any of the above bloatware, you truly are a acting like a deluded troll. :eek:

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
The op guy is being twisted for twisted sake. Bloatware - get real! Just because you don't use it does not mean others don't....

Maps - turn by turn when I drive.
Compass - when I go orienteering in Ireland it's very handy.
Newsstand - Metro app, Magazines subscriptions, Newspapers
Passbook - Coffee shops, Oyster card, Flight boarding when I go to the USA, others

If you consider any of the above bloatware, you truly are a acting like a deluded troll. :eek:

# So true!

Maps = best looking maps app out (soon it will function the best

Compass - not useful for me but I can see how others can find it useful I remember switching from my 3G to my 3GS and I thought the compass was cool.

Newsstand - I have my MacLife, Mac Format, and Discover magazines, plus I have NYT.

Reminders (mentioned as bloat ware by the OP) is one of the best apps on the phone. My wife and I can write a grocery list on our macs and its automatically on bother of our phones. Shared reminder lists are the best.

All not bloat ware. OP is just trying to be a troll, I bet he doesn't even have an iPhone and is one of the android fanboys that like to come to this site and talk about stuff they have no idea about.

If you're upset about apple maps and reminders then go to android and you will see the true definition of bloat ware.

Last edited:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

I'm not being defensive. I'm pointing out that the applications you are talking about are not bloatware.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Seriously, man. The answer was already given above, post 4.

Hide them with SBSettings and move on. Newsstand is not really an app, but it can be hidden with NoNews or something like that, search Cydia. None of these apps take up very much space, so actually deleting them from storage shouldn't matter to you. In the world of bloatware, this one is pretty easy to get around. Since you are already a JBer.

Here's an annoyance for maps that is far greater: Google's own apps haven't been updated since 'Google Maps' came out. They still send you to the website instead of directly to the app, which website then tries to get you to download the app, even when you already have it. But I think that is also solved with a certain tweak, I still haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.