Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think there's any right or wrong way to do this, but since switching from MAMP Pro, I've started using .dev for my local sites (inventory.dev, clientname.dev, etc.) and using the default ports. MAMP Pro has a Tools Menu that will turn off the built in Apache if there's a port conflict.
MAMP Pro will update your /etc/hosts file to allow your computer to resolve them properly:
127.0.0.1 cms.dev
127.0.0.1 inventory.dev
I like this method. One thing I just realized when you mention this file /etc/hosts .. I think this is the same file I already modified to preview a domain on Media Temple. I wonder if MAMP would overwrite my changes or if I would just modify them using their GUI and config them that way. It would be simpler anyways because it was a bit tricky to edit that file through terminal, I wouldn't mind having another way.
Have you tried using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost with Sequel Pro, or changing to whatever port you are using (8889?) if you are not using the default?
I guess part of my problem was going through MAMP and not MAMP pro. I launched that and was able to set the mysql pw and it popped open phpmyadmin, so it looks like I am going to just go ahead and register it. I just looked at the price and its very reasonable considering the time I see this app saving me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.