Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassée shares his perspective on Apple's rumored "iWatch", noting that the company likely has very ambitious plans for the device given its focus on continually pushing forward the concept of a "personal computer".
[W]hat really floats their [boats], what hardens Apple's resolve is designing, making, and selling large numbers of personal computers, from the traditional desktop/laptop Mac, to the genre-validating iPad, and on to the iPhone -- the Very Personal Computer. Everything else is an ingredient, a booster, a means to the noblest end.
After walking through how Apple's iTunes Store, retail effort, software, and Apple TV all serve as ancillary offerings to support this positioning of the company's primary products as increasingly personal computers, Gassée argues that the iWatch is the next step in this progression and thus Apple will do much more than simply slap a previous-generation iPod nano into a wristband.
Is Apple working on an iWatch that can be experienced as an Even More Personal personal computer -- an "intimate computer"? If so, many questions arise: user interface, sensors, iOS version, new types of apps, connection with other iDevices... And, of course price.

This would be much more interesting than the perennially in-the-future Apple TV set. Of course, iWatch and Apple TV aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Gassée's piece comes just as British newspaper The Observer has produced its own mockup of what an iWatch might look like given claims of Apple using Corning's bendable Willow Glass for the device.

iWatch-graphic-001-800x469.jpg
There is no reason to believe that The Observer has any more insight into the strongly rumored Apple research project than anyone else, but the graphics which accompany the article reproduced on the sister-paper Guardian website do give an interesting feel for the difference a curved glass display could make to a smart watch and the article offers an overview of how Apple might fit into the smart watch market still in its infancy.

Article Link: Apple's Rumored iWatch as an 'Even More Personal Personal Computer'

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I'll be honest. At the moment I have zero interest in something like this. They are going to have to really wow me to get me interested.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
I think Apple has taken this "thinner" and "lighter" and "smaller" design making as far as they can.....any thinner and lighter and smaller and you won't be able to read anything on the watch...

michealwillard

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
I'd be interested in seeing the watch "strap" as being a transparent glass with a usable touch surface on it. This has the potential to be something straight out of sci-fi movies' visions of the future, visually.

I think the cost is the key to success of the product though. As long as the cost matches the value of use, then I could see this taking off as quite an accessory. I just wonder if they may try to turn it into a replacement device for other iOS products, as opposed to a companion.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I'm not a fan of this idea. I just don't see the point to it. I'm also not a watch type of guy, so that may explain it...

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Wow so much hate ITT.

It may not be the device for me, but personally I always get a little excited inside when Apple release a new line of products.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm curious to see if this actually becomes reality as it is an interesting concept. It reminds of KITT from Knight Rider where Michael could call and talk to KITT from his watch among other things.

I could even see benefits to the health sector as well. If they could build in sensors that measure temperature and heart rate and then have an app record it all, alert you and/or your doctor if something changes.

Many possibilities here I think.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Those renderings are probably as accurate as this one was of predicting the iPhone:
315634949_78b24fe152_o.jpg

Marol

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Sweden
Horrible mockup!
Hopefully they will get my "must-have" desire on this one. Pebble with apple design thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.