Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
im not affected by any battery bug.. i have a iPhone 5... but i did hear some 4S users have battery life problems, i read that Apple is going to fix this in iOS 6.1.2 next year along with the lockscreen hack and the Exchange problem

Thats because iPhone 5's battery life sucks naturally.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I think they know and don't care.

See Antennagate

As soon as I put it in my hand I noticed the issue.

Well that was just a design flaw so with that they had to know and just didn't care. I honestly think they are just getting lazy and arrogant that from how dominate and controlling of the market they used to be and how other options are out there that they need to reevaluate that mentality.

----------

Well when you add a larger screen and lte but only increase the battery slightly what else do you expect? hopefully apple will quit trying to make the phone paper thin and put a larger battery in so it lasts like the iphones of old that used to have great battery life.

----------

No way they'd burn them for a minor release, mostly saved for 6.2 if one is released or ios7

I think unless there are some more serious bugs with 6.1.1 any other updates would just be more minor 6.x.x updates or just wait until IOS 7.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

I actually have fantastic battery life, espcially on LTE, it lasts longer on LTE then my old Galaxy S3. I get about 8 hours on wifi straight usage brightness on 75%

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
iOS 6.1.2 to Address Exchange and Passcode Bugs Reportedly Coming Early Next Week

It's a good thing they're working on this, if there are bugs coming early next week... ;)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
iOS 6.1.2 to Address Exchange and Passcode Bugs Reportedly Coming Early Next Week

I wonder when Apple is going to release iOS 6.1.3 to address the problems they will introduce in iOS 6.1.2?

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Well when you add a larger screen and lte but only increase the battery slightly what else do you expect? hopefully apple will quit trying to make the phone paper thin and put a larger battery in so it lasts like the iphones of old that used to have great battery life.

----------

That BS explanation would be great if you live in the same vacuum Apple executives live in.

Unfortunately, we live out here. In the real world.

There are 4" phones that last much longer than an iphone 5 with Android. And 4 inches is still a very small screen.

Not to mention the bigger screens from Samsung that dwarf the iphone and the battery lasts more than twice as long.

Then you'll say the phones are bigger so the batteries are bigger. But even if apple came out with a 5" phone, we will be back right here with people complaining that the battery life sucks.

----------

Many people in this forum have very good battery life on their iPhone 5. What are you talking about?

My wife's sister just bought one. I think she charges it 3 times a day. All her and her friends talk about is ways to save battery. They had a theory that closing all the apps running all the time will significantly increase battery life, so you see all of them closing apps all day like maniacs, but they still have to charge it several times a day.

Maybe you're on WiFi all day or don't do much browsing and data intensive work, but iphone sucks on battery life.

There are guys with 4" Androids that go for days on 1 charge.

Last edited:

mallwitt

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Perhaps the bigger question about the Exchange bug, is what changed between versions? One way you get to a stable Application is by making good use of modular code, and having a robust API structure, internally and externally.

This exchange bug appears to be in the core calendar application, specifically when handling calendar meeting requests and updates (something that has never really worked well, but lets not get started on that with Apple and Exchange). What did they really need to change about this functionality between iOS 5 and 6? Communications should logically be handled by a different module, display as well. I can't think of a very good reason they would need to change anything about the handling of this if it was working from the prior release. That doesn't mean they didn't need to.

These bugs just make me question how Apple is actually designing this system. Most mature software is a fusion of very old code - stable and tested that has been there since the beginning of the Application (or even from something else!) - and new code and new modules that either completely replaced most interface and logic functions. If iOS is to be considered stable and mature (and at version 6 I should hope it's approaching that), then bugs like this make me wonder just what they are changing and how well they modularized various functions in the first place. I have a hard time thinking that their exchange calendaring code has changed that much since, what, iOS4?

Perhaps it's time for Apple to make all of if's "built in" apps, actual apps, or at least treat them as such. At the very least it would force them to creat a standard API interface - even if it wasn't exposed for other developers - as well as enable them to issue updates only for the apps in question.

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Microsoft will never allow it to work 100% right. They have their own phone where I'm sure it works perfectly.

Same reason why Office Mac isn't 100% compatible with MS Office.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
That BS explanation would be great if you live in the same vacuum Apple executives live in.

Unfortunately, we live out here. In the real world.

There are 4" phones that last much longer than an iphone 5 with Android. And 4 inches is still a very small screen.

Not to mention the bigger screens from Samsung that dwarf the iphone and the battery lasts more than twice as long.

Then you'll say the phones are bigger so the batteries are bigger. But even if apple came out with a 5" phone, we will be back right here with people complaining that the battery life sucks.

----------

My wife's sister just bought one. I think she charges it 3 times a day. All her and her friends talk about is ways to save battery. They had a theory that closing all the apps running all the time will significantly increase battery life, so you see all of them closing apps all day like maniacs, but they still have to charge it several times a day.

Maybe you're on WiFi all day or don't do much browsing and data intensive work, but iphone sucks on battery life.

There are guys with 4" Androids that go for days on 1 charge.

You completely missed my point. Go back and read my comment again. You're not going to have great battery life when you only uped the battery by a few mah compared to your other phones that did not include lte connectivity and a larger screen. I never said 4" was a large screen. And the only android device I had that lasted longer than the iphone was the razr maxx which had a huge battery in it. People aren't lasting all day with any phone other than maybe the maxx or note android devices because they have a huge battery in it. And I am a pretty heavy user and my battery lasts all day on my iphone 5. It never did that with my s3, so either 1. your sister really doesn't have an iphone or 2. you are just over exxagerating about needing to charge it multiple times.

Last edited:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
im not affected by any battery bug.. i have a iPhone 5... but i did hear some 4S users have battery life problems, i read that Apple is going to fix this in iOS 6.1.2 next year along with the lockscreen hack and the Exchange problem

they should already be fixing these problems....but instead it's all talk because they didn't really fix many long term problems.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
From an engineering perspective, I am astounded that the lock screen user space application does not panic the kernel if it terminates with an exception.

Had they designed it architecturally correctly, with the presence of this very bug, it would have been a curious "my phone resets when i do this" issue and not one with the obvious security implications of the phone unlocking itself...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
From an engineering perspective, I am astounded that the lock screen user space application does not panic the kernel if it terminates with an exception.

Had they designed it architecturally correctly, with the presence of this very bug, it would have been a curious "my phone resets when i do this" issue and not one with the obvious security implications of the phone unlocking itself...

So is this a good thing for iOS? The fact that the kernel was fine?

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
So is this a good thing for iOS? The fact that the kernel was fine?

Yes, definitely. You make sure that you have the concept of critical user space processes implemented and then consider the abnormal termination of one as being an unforeseen and unexpected critical compromise of the environment and force a reboot.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
That was a quick turnaround!

Not quick enough. I spent HOURS troubleshooting a mailbox that was FULL of duplicated meetings last week. Turns out he had actually hit the 30GB quota on his dumpster. Microsoft had to step in and bump the quota and complete the removal of the remaining 60,000 meetings. (We're on Office 365 so some things we don't have the ability to do a lot of actions in the managed environment).

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
It remembers the last volume level you had for headphones and speaker. Still does for me.

I'm really glad they're fixing the exchange bug this quickly. When Exchange is on I get about 8 hours of standby/light usage and I'll be down to 20%. It'll drain even faster if you're in a weak cell reception area. About half the time (4-5 hours of standby).

With Exchange off the battery life skyrockets at 10 hours of standby/light usage down to 75%. Big, big difference.

Mine does not. It shoots up to max volume- the opposite behavior it use have before iOS 6.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I see people complaining over and over (which is perfectly ok) yet they are the very same people here in the product launch days.. If you guys hate iOS and the battery life and the issues related to iDevices that much, why do you keep buying them? :confused:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I think I just figured out Apple's new strategy for fighting jailbreaks

1) Find out that iOS has a jailbreak hole, with a jailbreak likely to come out when you release the next version of iOS.
2) Introduce some annoying, but not show-stopper bugs on purpose.
3) Release bugged version of iOS (6.1)
4) Jailbreak comes out. Analyze jailbreak, find the holes.
5) Patch the holes and fix the annoying bugs (6.1.2)

Make the jailbroken OS version suck so people won't want to stay on it. Clever!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think I just figured out Apple's new strategy for fighting jailbreaks

1) Find out that iOS has a jailbreak hole, with a jailbreak likely to come out when you release the next version of iOS.
2) Introduce some annoying, but not show-stopper bugs on purpose.
3) Release bugged version of iOS (6.1)
4) Jailbreak comes out. Analyze jailbreak, find the holes.
5) Patch the holes and fix the annoying bugs (6.1.2)

Make the jailbroken OS version suck so people won't want to stay on it. Clever!
Except it doesn't seem like they've been doing that at all. 6.1.1 and now 6.1.2 that has just been released both appear to leave the jailbreak exploits (as well as even some other publicized and acknowledged ones) alone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Except it doesn't seem like they've been doing that at all. 6.1.1 and now 6.1.2 that has just been released both appear to leave the jailbreak exploits (as well as even some other publicized and acknowledged ones) alone.

I guess I was wrong! I'm glad, too; it's nice to see Apple isn't playing these games.

I think having to touch or update any OS component is a HUGE DEAL in the development process, requiring tons of unit testing and painful checking for regressions. Since the jailbreak hole is not remotely exploitable and doesn't really pose a threat unless you want to jailbreak your own device, it might not be high on Apple's priority list.

I do expect it to go away soon, though, either because they fix the hole, or the OS architecture changes enough to break it. This JB depends on a lot of things going wrong (right?) together in order to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.