Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Hey all,

ive been a long time reader, hardly post anything, decided to get some help on this.

I have been trying to force myself to keep the Note2 but am having a difficult time.

Firstly let me say, i am not biased towards any device, i want what works best for me !!.

I am not interested in rooting jailbreaking or installing roms, not for me, been there done that.

My 2 biggest problems are as follows.

1. my exchange mailbox is very heavily rule driven and subfolder based. I have about 50 subfolders with Exchange automatically putting messages in those folders, IOS (finally in its current state) does terrific job of sending me a notification of a message regardless of what subfolder it arrives. on Android it is a royal mess. I cant view ll my unread messages in the notification window, it shows me subjects of them, and also doesnt show the correct ones.

Maybe i missed a setting here?

2. this maybe Apple's fault of integrating imessage app so well. but i have a simple task. I want to take a video of my daughter and send a message to all my family members with that video. What's the point of the amazing screen or video camera on the note if this is useless?? I mean who cares about having a 150MB 30 second video on my phone if i cant share it with anyone. Yes i have dropbox and google +, but this is also i feel like an extra step.

those are the two biggest ones, I tried all the sms apps and they are very very laggy, i really like the look and feel of the stock android sms app, it just doesnt do any of these things. that and attaching pictures is mess too, again kudos to apple for getting this right.

i love some features of the note 2, but at the end of the day i feel like if a phone has a negative about it, it outweighs 5 positives in my book.

iphone5 just works, poor battery life is not an issue for me. in fact when used identically with same apps, skype, flipboard, email, sms, web, music both iphone5 and note 2 get same battery drainage. Note 2 naked without any apps sure does a get a great battery life.

thats about it, if anyone can help that would be great. I like the note but if i could get past these two things that would be great. for now i am back on the iphone, and contrary to what everyone says, the small screen is fine, its bright and beautiful, unlike the brightness of the note :0

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Sell your note and stick with your iphone.

I think thats what you want to be told looking at how you worded your post.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I don't know about 2. But I have exchange and have a bunch of folders and subfolders. I just click on show all folders and it shows all of them just as if I'm on the desktop client.

I guess if on 2, clicking an extra button is too much of an extra task, then just go back to iPhone. You don't need us to defend or convince what phone to use. Every platform is going to have a pro/con vs another platform.

powerwagon

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Just sold my Note 2 and bought an iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier. It has taken a few days to get used to the keyboard, but everything is just smoother on the iPhone (and the Note 2 was a smooth phone). I say sell the N2 and keep the i5.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know about 2. But I have exchange and have a bunch of folders and subfolders. I just click on show all folders and it shows all of them just as if I'm on the desktop client.

I guess if on 2, clicking an extra button is too much of an extra task, then just go back to iPhone. You don't need us to defend or convince what phone to use. Every platform is going to have a pro/con vs another platform.

Not what i was talking about..I'm talking about notifications..say i get 5 new emails in one subfolder and 3 in another...if i open up the notifications and click on it it takes me to the newest email..then i have no idea where to go for the next unread email as it doesn't show unread count

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Just sold my Note 2 and bought an iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier. It has taken a few days to get used to the keyboard, but everything is just smoother on the iPhone (and the Note 2 was a smooth phone). I say sell the N2 and keep the i5.
I'd like to see something along the lines of Note 2 from Apple this year. Perhaps call it the iPhone Pro.

I'm not sure how exactly it should go above and beyond the iPhone 5. I'd just like to wield something more expensive and rare than the 'basic' iPhone.

powerwagon

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
I'd like to see something along the lines of Note 2 from Apple this year. Perhaps call it the iPhone Pro.

I'm not sure how exactly it should go above and beyond the iPhone 5. I'd just like to wield something more expensive and rare than the 'basic' iPhone.

I really thought the screen size would bother me, but I'm actually starting to see the genius in it. I'm really liking typing with one hand and the portability of it. Yes, text is smaller, but that's almost a wash based on how crystal clear the screen is. I think a 4.5" screen with slightly wider form factor would absolutely crush windows phone and especially BB's chances of making a big push.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
An extreme solution, but it works for me is to keep em both !!!! I needed the smallest phone possible and that's pretty much the ip5, I use it as my main phone when working as I have a very active job and need something that doesn't physically get in the way. I also need a tablet sized device but got tired of having to carry my iPad around. I put a $30 t mobile unlimited 4g plan on it and use it as a data device.

What's nice is I use Google voice for my main number so I can choose to have my ip5 ring, my note 2 ring, or even have them both ring. I can voip on the note with gv and Talkatone.

Probably too extreme a solution for you, but for me it works until some foldable screens come out!

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
^^ This. I didn't view this thread as someone who actually wants to like the Note 2 but as someone who just wants a justification to return to the iPhone 5.

Not at all sorry for making it seem like that..i just want it to do at the minimum what the iphone does..as it is replacing the iphone..or trying to

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple has a more polished phone than the Android phones, no doubt about that. I've been in the same situation myself, considering a Note 2, but I know I will miss the iPhone if I do. I do value the more freedom given with Android devices though. It's a curse.

Good luck with your decision.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
This is the hardest decision for me atm and I don't know which way to go however I will probably just go for the iPhone. It'll have the most up to date os for more years than the Note, has a more stable OS and seems faster. I just love the massive screen on the note.... I want a 5 inch iPhone pls!!! haha :)

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
This is the hardest decision for me atm and I don't know which way to go however I will probably just go for the iPhone. It'll have the most up to date os for more years than the Note, has a more stable OS and seems faster. I just love the massive screen on the note.... I want a 5 inch iPhone pls!!! haha :)

Another fairly affordable option would be to get the Note and a 5g iPod Touch. That's what I did in addition to my Nexus 4 Android experiment. Got the Touch for $249, which seemed pretty reasonable. The touch adds almost very little in inconvenience for carrying around with a larger device:
2013-02-16121753_zpsf21a788a.jpg
[/IMG]
2013-02-16121658_zpse212c7b0.jpg
[/IMG]

The Touch adds so much to the N7, it's not even funny - for starters, a screen that you can actually see if you're outside in the sunlight... I get to keep all the advantages of Apples apps, and the workflow I have in it's ecosystem, plus the advantages of a larger device and whatever else I mint get from Android.

VXXTRADER

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I flipped flopped as well. Went from iphone 5 to Note 2 and back to iphone 5.
Everything on the iphone just works as its supposed to. You can do the same on the note 2 but it takes several additional steps. I guess I'll just wait for the 5" iphone 6.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
OP, I totally agree with you. I am not happy with exchange support on any Android I have handled, Touchdown or native mail app. However, I absolutely love my Note 2.
I reconciled my Exchange and messaging problems (And book reader :) ) by buying a 64 gig ipod touch in product red as a digital assistant.
I absolutely love this combination. Not only does the ipod touch fill the void, and is very light, my little boy uses it to watch Thomas, et al on Netflix. That way I always have my hands on one of my mobile devices :D

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Maybe it's me, but if you have a phone where you need help from others to convince you to keep it....then you should probably ditch it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
After more time trying both the note and iPhone side by side, I think I will go back to the iPhone 5. The major reason being text and one handed use. I guess I never really realized how important this was to me until I started using a phone that forced two handed use on me. Even just pulling my phone out of my pocket to quickly check something is difficult with the note.

I will say the screen size and stylus is nice and very easy on the eyes. For me personally it has nothing to do with the os's anymore b.c I can accomplish everything I need to using either one. Oddly enough it has come down to which one is easier to use as a phone, and for me that is the iPhone. 4" - 4.3" is probably a good phone size to me.

I will definitely be getting the galaxy 8.0. As a phone and every day device the iPhone is easier for me to use. Also, the battery on the note is out of this world. I usually am at around 50% perfect after a full day of average usuage.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Not at all sorry for making it seem like that..i just want it to do at the minimum what the iphone does..as it is replacing the iphone..or trying to

It'd be hard to do that since it's not an iPhone. I'd never go to the iPhone forum and ask how I can have two apps open at the same time on an iP5, or how I can get the notepad to pop open when I remove the stylus.

Last edited by a moderator:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I got a Nexus 7 and enjoy it, but had to do research just to figure out which would be the best Mail app to connect to an Exchange server. "Email" seems to have trouble connecting to the 2010 Exchange server I'm using. iOS Mail got everything right the first try. I used iOS Mail's Exchange settings to manually configure Android Email. People praise the Gmail app on Android but I want one Mail app that's great with multiple mail servers. The iOS Mail app connected very easily to my Exchange server & Gmail. I can view/search all my inboxes as one inbox & the layout is quite similar to me as the venerated Gmail app on Android, plus iOS Mail's UI is quite nice.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
ADMIN NOTE:

I deleted quite a few posts as being off-topic to the OP's questions, which were fairly specific. The deleted posts contained subjects that would be fine in their own threads, so feel free to start new threads if you'd like to discuss the deleted issues (maps, etc).

TAKES ADMIN HAT OFF:

OP, I have a Note I, am planning to upgrade to Note II in a couple months, and use an iPhone 4 for my Outlook work mail and calendar. In my case it's because the carrier I use for my personal phone isn't one my work has approved, and I'm not willing to switch carriers in order to be able to access my work stuff on my personal phone.

The iPod/Note solution would be perfect for me (I've got a new iPod Touch), but my work also requires that access happen over mobile networks, not wifi. :rolleyes:

So if you can deal with the bother of two devices, can afford it, and you're really interested in trying out the Note, a combination of the two (which at least one person has already suggested) would be one way to go. If you only want to have to deal with one phone, it sounds to me from your post that you're leaning toward the iPhone.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
OP, I have a Note I, am planning to upgrade to Note II in a couple months, and use an iPhone 4 for my Outlook work mail and calendar. In my case it's because the carrier I use for my personal phone isn't one my work has approved, and I'm not willing to switch carriers in order to be able to access my work stuff on my personal phone.

The iPod/Note solution would be perfect for me (I've got a new iPod Touch), but my work also requires that access happen over mobile networks, not wifi. :rolleyes:

So if you can deal with the bother of two devices, can afford it, and you're really interested in trying out the Note, a combination of the two (which at least one person has already suggested) would be one way to go. If you only want to have to deal with one phone, it sounds to me from your post that you're leaning toward the iPhone.

Yep, I use the opposite combination, an ios device as my "phone" and the note 2 as my "tablet", ie used for 2 handed things like web browsing, taking notes, playing games, things I do not enjoy doing on the smaller iPhone. I have pretty good eyes, but I cannot fathom how anyone can browse the internet on an iPhone except for an emergency, and of course notes are not possible.

I use the $30 t mobile plan for my note 2, 100minutes, unlimited text and 5gb data is pretty sick for that price, some months I pay the extra $15 and can tether that data. $45 on straight talk ATT and for a total of $75 I have 2 unlimited phones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.