Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hello,

Can I get some advice here? ;)

My current 13" MBP just doesn't cut it. Mainly of 1280 x 800 resolution (if I'm right). I can't do two tasks at once etc.

I'm currently studying at college and as I see it only includes two things - working with Microsoft Office 2011 and reading / revising from .pdf's. I don't think I will do something more (for college) until September 2013, then my needs could change.
For those needs Macbook Air is enough (lol) but as I said, I want to have resolution for just browsing the web and watching a movie at the same time.

I'm thinking about two things - base 15" rMBP or 2012 27" iMac.
For the same price of 15" rMBP it seems that I could get i7 quad and 2GB GPU inside there (we can't see prices, but I assume it will be something like that).

Any suggestions? I will consider everyone of them!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Is your current 13 too slow? You could buy a monitor for your 13 if you need more real estate. Otherwise I would choose the imac since you already have a laptop

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Is your current 13 too slow? You could buy a monitor for your 13 if you need more real estate. Otherwise I would choose the imac since you already have a laptop

It isn't too slow but I want to get rid of dual core. It is time for quad core already. ;) I don't want to put SSD in it because I don't think it is worth it as it is 2011 machine. I want to invest in something fresh. And also monitor is considerable, but only Thunderbolt. And I want to wait for new ones to come out. But anyway, your suggestion doesn't really fit me. ;)

Btw I have to sell my Macbook to get ether of those, so again, monitor doesn't suit me.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
So you basically want something new eh? Well they are both powerful machines but the new imac will be better for gaming with that 680mx. That's a toughie since you're almost done with school. Is portability a must have for you? If not, I'd go for the imac :)

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
So you basically want something new eh? Well they are both powerful machines but the new imac will be better for gaming with that 680mx. That's a toughie since you're almost done with school. Is portability a must have for you? If not, I'd go for the imac :)

Yeah, basically yeah. :D
I do not game. :rolleyes:

The thing is which fissss me off is that new iMacs goes out just in December. :mad: I think now is great time to sell my 13" just because in December everyone will spent money on Christmas etc. and no one buys used machine like a gift. ;)
That means ether I have to go to Apple each 13 days and return machine and get new one and return until it or I have to borrow an iPad from my friend and use it like daily driver for minimum 4weeks which I can't imagine at all.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
You are in quite the dilemma then haha. Yeah I couldn't imagine working on an ipad ever. Who knows when you'll get the 27 with the BTO options either. Guess you're stuck with one choice then if you can't wait ;)

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
You are in quite the dilemma then haha. Yeah I couldn't imagine working on an ipad ever. Who knows when you'll get the 27 with the BTO options either. Guess you're stuck with one choice then if you can't wait ;)
I'm alright with getting new machine until I get my iMac. :D

Btw I think I will then get base 27". I could then add some money towards maybe 13" Air? :eek:

Btw I'm still waiting for suggestions! ;)

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
rMBP!

It keeps your options open for portability if you evetually need it or want it for school, and it is the best of all the Mac displays. If you decide you want a larger screen later, you can always add an external display later. rMBP has also been out long enough that you know what to expect as far as potential issues.

With the iMac, you are paying $2K to be a field tester and who knows when a BTO computer would deliver? I would definitely let someone else buy that ticket.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
rMBP!

It keeps your options open for portability if you evetually need it or want it for school, and it is the best of all the Mac displays. If you decide you want a larger screen later, you can always add an external display later. rMBP has also been out long enough that you know what to expect as far as potential issues.

With the iMac, you are paying $2K to be a field tester and who knows when a BTO computer would deliver? I would definitely let someone else buy that ticket.

What about 8GB ram in base? Does it slows rMBP down? Because I have trouble with my 8GB here, safari in 4-5hours browsing takes 4.5GB ram itself. Yes, just safari.

I don't want to pay additional £160 (here in the UK, so it is basically $255) for additional 8GB. And then it is £1850 ($3K of Green) if I will get the discount.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
What about 8GB ram in base? Does it slows rMBP down? Because I have trouble with my 8GB here, safari in 4-5hours browsing takes 4.5GB ram itself. Yes, just safari.

I don't want to pay additional £160 (here in the UK, so it is basically $255) for additional 8GB. And then it is £1850 ($3K of Green) if I will get the discount.

I have a base rMBP and it isn't slow at all, even with 8GB RAM. I'd suggest an rMBP and then add a Thunderbolt display when they get refreshed.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

Can I get some advice here? ;)

My current 13" MBP just doesn't cut it. Mainly of 1280 x 800 resolution (if I'm right). I can't do two tasks at once etc.

I'm currently studying at college and as I see it only includes two things - working with Microsoft Office 2011 and reading / revising from .pdf's. I don't think I will do something more (for college) until September 2013, then my needs could change.
For those needs Macbook Air is enough (lol) but as I said, I want to have resolution for just browsing the web and watching a movie at the same time.

I'm thinking about two things - base 15" rMBP or 2012 27" iMac.
For the same price of 15" rMBP it seems that I could get i7 quad and 2GB GPU inside there (we can't see prices, but I assume it will be something like that).

Any suggestions? I will consider everyone of them!

Thanks!

When I was in college; I had an iMac that, at the time, was the larger of the two sizes, and I had a white MacBook (back when those were on the market) and really, the iMac did my heavy lifting while my MacBook served all of my portability needs. I have since strayed away from that Mac-ownership model, but for you, it might make sense given that you already have a 13" MacBook Pro that otherwise works fine. You don't need more than the power of one of those for portability's sake, while the 27" iMac will be perfect for your screen real-estate needs as well as anything you would want a quad-core CPU (over the dual-core in your 13" MBP) or discrete graphics (over the integrated graphics in your 13" MBP) for. Given that, I'd do the 3TB Fusion drive (as you can't upgrade it later), and if you are at all caring about gaming performance over the long haul, I'd get the 2GB GTX 680MX (if gaming is not your thing, then the 1GB GTX 675MX will be plenty sufficient).

Really, the 15" rMBP, on paper seems like the better call, but given that (a) you already own a perfectly good 13" MacBook Pro and (b) you have the same viewing area as a non-retina 15" MacBook Pro without either hi-res screen option, only sharper, your physical real-estate concerns might still stand with that machine. Whereas it's hard to complain with a 27" display unless you are in a field that demands more than that on the regular.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
I'm back here!

So, since Apple upgraded retinas today, I decided that I need to make a decision.

There is two opinions -
27" iMac base with 1TB fusion
or
15" retina with 2.7GHz, 16GB ram and 512GB SSD.

Also, I got 21.5" 1080p screen for free and my current machine is 13" 2.7GHz, 8GB ram as I said before.

If I get iMac - I keep my current MBP. If I get retina - I have to sell my current 13" but I keep the screen.

I will need to do programming in college eventually.

What should I do?

Thanks!

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
I'm back here!

So, since Apple upgraded retinas today, I decided that I need to make a decision.

There is two opinions -
27" iMac base with 1TB fusion
or
15" retina with 2.7GHz, 16GB ram and 512GB SSD.

Also, I got 21.5" 1080p screen for free and my current machine is 13" 2.7GHz, 8GB ram as I said before.

If I get iMac - I keep my current MBP. If I get retina - I have to sell my current 13" but I keep the screen.

I will need to do programming in college eventually.

What should I do?

Thanks!

first, can you use college software/programs on a mac?

2nd, since your in college, you definitely want something that you can carry around also.

so i would say get the imac and have the laptop at the same time

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
It will run anyways, I have no problem with putting a bootcamp...

I still can't decide... ://

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
The rMBP seems best for both you guys. I am in grad school and have the rMBP and Thunderbolt Display. Couldn't be happier (or more productive).

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
The rMBP seems best for both you guys. I am in grad school and have the rMBP and Thunderbolt Display. Couldn't be happier (or more productive).

I could save money by going with the 8GB. Do u have 8 or 16gB ram? If 8 how is it going? Do you wish you could've upgraded to 16? Also have you seen the new iMacs? They are gorgeous!

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I have the 8 GB and it's very fast. I've used my friend's 16 GB and didn't notice a difference. By the way, I used to have an Air and an iMac, and found the syncing between computers to be too much of a hassle, I think a laptop+ display combo is much more convenient.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't see how the RMBP will serve you in terms of real screen estate. The resolution is higher, but you are still getting 1440x900 worth of actual screen space, so in practice, you aren't really better off compared to say, a 13" macbook air in terms of what apps you can have side-by-side. The price is also overkill for what you want.

You clearly will benefit from having something mobile, so an imac is less than choice. My advice is to keep your macbook pro, and get an ipad (or ipad mini) to complement it. If you are concerned about the weight, maybe trade your macbook pro for a 13" macbook air?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
The 15" Retina will be a beast, however, as people are saying, you don't actually get much more screen real-estate unless you're doing a ton of image manipulation.

I believe you can have it up to 1920x1200 scaled res, however.

And again, unless you're doing some intensive work, like video editing, running multiple virtual machines or gaming, then 16GB will be overkill.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
A lot of people, including myself, are in this boat
27" iMac or 15" rMBP?
For the 27" iMac, take the high end model and add a Fusion Drive, it makes it pretty much the same price as the rMBP.

I have a 2008 iMac right now which is really starting to slow down, so the machine I get will replace it. I would definitely go for the rMBP if I would have been able to get the Sony Playstation 24" 1080p LED monitor for $99 on Boxing Day since 24" is more than enough, but since I wasn't able to get that now I'm debating.

Oh also you might want to wait until both machines are updated with Intel Haswell chips later in the year.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
A lot of people, including myself, are in this boat
27" iMac or 15" rMBP?
For the 27" iMac, take the high end model and add a Fusion Drive, it makes it pretty much the same price as the rMBP.

I have a 2008 iMac right now which is really starting to slow down, so the machine I get will replace it. I would definitely go for the rMBP if I would have been able to get the Sony Playstation 24" 1080p LED monitor for $99 on Boxing Day since 24" is more than enough, but since I wasn't able to get that now I'm debating.

Oh also you might want to wait until both machines are updated with Intel Haswell chips later in the year.

with fusion would be same price but then the retina mac has the I7 while imac has i5

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
with fusion would be same price but then the retina mac has the I7 while imac has i5

To make them the same price you could either upgrade to 3.4 i7 or get the Fusion Drive. Anyways the i5 is 3.2 GHz on the iMac where the i7 on the rMBP is 2.4 GHz, and there's barely a speed difference between i5 and i7s (there's one extra thing you can do to an i7, its either hyper threading or overclocking or something of the nature, I'm nor 100% sure right now) so still I'm pretty sure the i5 in the $1999 iMac is more powerful in the i7 in the rMBP.

That being said, if I were to get the iMac, I would get the i7 and a 1TB Fusion drive - if you're spendin $1999 you're already trying to get the top of the line, might as well throw those on for long term endurance and resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.