Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammertimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Hello,

I just upgraded from my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5 and discovered that Google are no longer allowing new devices to connect to their ActiveSync service :(

In the past I've had my mail, calendar and contacts all synced using the Exchange feature with push for each.

I'm just wondering that 'others' are doing with regards to have mail, calendar and contacts all working with push messages on their iPhones?

I'm currently testing out the Gmail app but so far I'm not loving it.

Maybe it's time to migrate my mail to an Exchange hosted service.

Thanks.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Hello,

I just upgraded from my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5 and discovered that Google are no longer allowing new devices to connect to their ActiveSync service :(

In the past I've had my mail, calendar and contacts all synced using the Exchange feature with push for each.

I'm just wondering that 'others' are doing with regards to have mail, calendar and contacts all working with push messages on their iPhones?

Thanks.

I love the stock mail app since I have about 4 emails (not all gmail) and now that it allows for different signatures for each there is no reason for me not to use it.

For calendar I use the stock calendar and fantastical (which is an amazing app, I have it on both my Mac and iPhone) which saves all of my schedules to iCloud. I do have a shared google calendar though but my exchange account still works.

I also use stock contacts (it's easy to transfer your contacts to iCloud, just google "transfer google contacts to iCloud" you should be able to find some easy directions)

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Since Apple and Google both use CalDav and CardDav, what desktop app would you use if you had a Windows computer to properly sync with either Gmail or iCloud?

hammertimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Thanks guys, I also love the default mail, calendar and contacts app that comes with the iPhone and have been using it successfully for the last 3.5 years. However, recently Google have blocked new phones from using their ActiveSync service which I've found limits my opinions for 'push' (particularly with Mail).

macMD - On both Windows and Mac I'd prefer to the use the Gmail web interface.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i have found that gmail, when set up as IMAP and not exchange through the built in mail app, still delivers mail within 2-3 minutes. sure it isnt immediate like push, but 2-3 minutes even when its on 15 min fetch isnt that bad.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
i have found that gmail, when set up as IMAP and not exchange through the built in mail app, still delivers mail within 2-3 minutes. sure it isnt immediate like push, but 2-3 minutes even when its on 15 min fetch isnt that bad.
Yeah, it does seem like that. My guess is that it connects whenever another function (system or app) needs wifi. I'm fairly certain that's one way iOS conserves battery power.

OP, I normally use the default apps and Exchange but ever since the 6.1 Exchange battery drain bug I've switched it off and been using IMAP for Mail, CALDAV for Calendars and CARDAV for Contacts. Works fine and my battery life is kick'n again.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Yeah, it does seem like that. My guess is that it connects whenever another function (system or app) needs wifi. I'm fairly certain that's one way iOS conserves battery power.

OP, I normally use the default apps and Exchange but ever since the 6.1 Exchange battery drain bug I've switched it off and been using IMAP for Mail, CALDAV for Calendars and CARDAV for Contacts. Works fine and my battery life is kick'n again.

i was unaware of this battery bug. ill have to check this out. i guess theres a thread here about it. i have noticed my battery tanking a little lately.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Since Apple and Google both use CalDav and CardDav, what desktop app would you use if you had a Windows computer to properly sync with either Gmail or iCloud?

When i had my Dell I mostly used Outlook for both mail and calendar. Now that i have my mac i find it much easier to use the stock mail app and the stock calendar app (with Fantastical just as a quicker way to check my schedule)

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn
I decided to use the Gmail app, and migrate contacts and calendar to iCloud. All push. Works flawlessly.

Hello,

Thanks.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I bought myself a domain and a Google Apps account. Exchange Sync still works (for new devices) from the paid Google Apps accounts and I now have control over my email address (i.e., I can switch away from Google to something else if I choose - or even host my own server - and keep the same email address). I set my "old" gmail address to forward everything to my new address so nothing is lost. And replies will appear to come from whatever address to which they were originally sent.

Costs a few bucks a year but its not unreasonable.

However, I use this just for email. Calendars, reminders & contacts are hosted for now on iCloud.

I use the stock cal/contacts/reminders app. I use the gmail app for my personal gmail (better label features) and the stock email app for business mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.