Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The XBox 360 uses standard DVDs for its games. By comparison the :apple:TV has roughly twice the storage space of that DVD built in,
The Xbox 360 supports dual-layer discs. Meaning that each one can hold about eight gigabytes. And also keep in mind that a lot of newer 360 games come on multiple discs.

and has a standard USB micro port on the back which could (if Apple decided to enable it) be used to attach any standard USB drive for game storage.
I'm afraid that would not work. Most USB ports come in two varieties (not counting form factor): host and client. A host can plug into a client and obviously vice versa. However a host cannot plug directly into another host, nor can a client plug into another client. The port on the back of the AppleTV 2 and 3 is of the latter variety. Meaning that it cannot accept other client devices like hard drives.

Note: there is a standard called USB OTG (On The Go) which provides a single port that can alternate between the roles of host and client, but the AppleTV does not have the hardware to support this.

Last edited:

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
I was always a huge fan of Nintendo, but I don't think they deserve to make hardware anymore.
I have to disagree. I'd hate to see Nintendo go third party. If anything Nintendo should only make handhelds. They always make top notch handhelds, and the 3DS even though it had a rocky start, is on a steamroll now with it's 2013 lineup.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I have to disagree. I'd hate to see Nintendo go third party. If anything Nintendo should only make handhelds. They always make top notch handhelds, and the 3DS even though it had a rocky start, is on a steamroll now with it's 2013 lineup.

The 3DS is decent, but they need to realize that not everyone loves using a WiiMote with a Wii. Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are more enjoyable than the rest just because you can use a GameCube controller. So either scrap the Wii or let people use regular controllers if they want for most of the games.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Many of you people are clearly delusional about Apple's ability to kill Nintendo.

The Wii U is a dud of a system because nobody wants to play a video game on a big screen using a touchpad, as it makes the rest of the controller clunky. However, the Wii was a monumental success for the company.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The 3DS is decent, but they need to realize that not everyone loves using a WiiMote with a Wii. Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are more enjoyable than the rest just because you can use a GameCube controller. So either scrap the Wii or let people use regular controllers if they want for most of the games.

Umm, you're a bit behind. the Wii U doesn't use motion controllers as its primary control method.

(Which is unfortunate IMO... The motion control technology could have been improved tremendously with a whole new system. Skyward Sword could have been just the start of the conventional gamepad's complete obsolesces.)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
You do realize Grand Theft Auto is available as an iPad app? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-3/id479662730?mt=8

I've never played it on any platform so I can't compare the quality, nor do I know how much it cost to develop, but it does exist on iPads.

Yep. A PC games from 2003 finally comes for iPad on 2012.

R u for real? It's not even in the same exact graphic level with high end PC at the time.

Let alone GTA V, port GTA IV (yep, 5 years old game) into AppStore and see how well it handles with all the glory.

----------

Yes, I'm sure it's beyond Apple's capabilities to come up with a multi-button Bluetooth controller. That's space-age technology right there.

And still for such a stone age and dead simple technology, Apple is not capable of doing that so far.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Battlefield is available on iOS...if one is interested

J

True, but can you compare it to a AAA title like Battlefield 3? I don't think people will pick a ATV over a PlayStation or Xbox for games in their living room. Those games are too simple and repetitive to keep people interested, besides you can play them on your iPod, iPhone and iPad, no idea why you'd want to play them on your tv.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Yep. A PC games from 2003 finally comes for iPad on 2012.

R u for real? It's not even in the same exact graphic level with high end PC at the time.

Let alone GTA V, port GTA IV (yep, 5 years old game) into AppStore and see how well it handles with all the glory.

Not just that, but without a controller, the game is simply awful to control and handle.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Many of you people are clearly delusional about Apple's ability to kill Nintendo.

The Wii U is a dud of a system because nobody wants to play a video game on a big screen using a touchpad, as it makes the rest of the controller clunky. However, the Wii was a monumental success for the company.

Which I find funny, because if you believe some folks here while the Wii U is horrible with it's tablet screen as a controller an AppleTV with the same style input would crush home consoles as we know it...

:confused:

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Which I find funny, because if you believe some folks here while the Wii U is horrible with it's tablet screen as a controller an AppleTV with the same style input would crush home consoles as we know it...

:confused:

I'm with you. I don't understand the appeal of a touch-based home console, unless it's a complementary device in addition to a standard controller.

I've played GTA with an Xbox/PS3 controller, as well as GTA with an iPad. There is no competition in terms of quality of play which one is better.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
What about compared to the PS3?

Well, compared to the PS3, which uses Blu-Ray discs for it's games, the :apple:TV has significantly less storage on board. But, that could still be worked around with a USB drive, if Apple enabled that use for the on-board port. (Assuming it has the proper class of USB controller. If not, one could be added, but that would restrict the new storage capabilities to a new hardware revision.)

Then again, if the games are stored in your iTunes library, a reasonably fast network connection would still allow games to load as fast as (or faster than) most optical media can manage.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Well, compared to the PS3, which uses Blu-Ray discs for it's games, the :apple:TV has significantly less storage on board. But, that could still be worked around with a USB drive, if Apple enabled that use for the on-board port. (Assuming it has the proper class of USB controller. If not, one could be added, but that would restrict the new storage capabilities to a new hardware revision.)

Then again, if the games are stored in your iTunes library, a reasonably fast network connection would still allow games to load as fast as (or faster than) most optical media can manage.

You still have problems of games being multigigs in size with little to no FMV (or CGI) in it. For example, Darksiders is free through PS+ as a digital download. It is ~10GB in size. Super Street Fighter 4 Turbo plus online edition (meh) is a 18GB download (though it does have lots of CGI/FMV in it). iNfamous was around 10GB or so.
I am a little bit skeptical about streaming games off the cloud. OnLive tried and pretty much failed.

And if Apple allows external storage to be used with these games, how are they going to prevent the rampant piracy that will happen if the system uses iOS for it's base OS? Are they going to ban you from online play or connecting to their storefront like MS/Sony does (if they detect you have a modded system)?

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
with ION2 uses a D525 atom processor at 1.8 ghz. This is slower than the atom z2760 in the samsung. And its much clearly better than the z2760 indicating the cpu is not the bottleneck (its more than 3 times as fast so the cpu is nowhere near bottlenecking the gpu). I will note that those are different (Cataclysm vs MOP) but I doubt that fps would drop by 70%. Toms also takes the benchmarks at the same spot.
The GMA 4500 netbook uses the core 2 duo SU3700 which is faster than the atom. The first netbook is the same notebook running integrated graphics vs the ION 2, clearly a large increase there.
Congratulations. You posted benchmarks where all external players are disabled, and tests are strictly done using a point A to point B flightpath test. Yes, that is not CPU intensive.

The fact that you don't realize this displays alarmingly poor understanding of what demands what.

You also posted Toms Hardware, which WoW fansites long ago made an explicit point of not using because they've repeatedly proven themselves completely inept at making proper benchmarks for it.

I suggest you read up on MMO-Champion. They've got far more comprehensive and useful hardware evaluations for WoW than Tom's Hardware does.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Congratulations. You posted benchmarks where all external players are disabled, and tests are strictly done using a point A to point B flightpath test. Yes, that is not CPU intensive.

The fact that you don't realize this displays alarmingly poor understanding of what demands what.

You also posted Toms Hardware, which WoW fansites long ago made an explicit point of not using because they've repeatedly proven themselves completely inept at making proper benchmarks for it.

I suggest you read up on MMO-Champion. They've got far more comprehensive and useful hardware evaluations for WoW than Tom's Hardware does.

I mentioned the benchmarks are different but did forget to say that they were not cpu intensive. I'm sorry for not mentioning this.

You don't seem to be realizing what I'm saying. The atom 2760 is about 1/4 the power of a ULV i5. In a situation where the game is cpu limited you would expect the atom to get roughly 1/4 the fps. However in this situation when you so strongly pointed out is not cpu limited the atom is getting about 1/10 the fps that the ulv i5 is getting. This large difference can be attributed to the gpu which is weaker proportionally to the cpu of the atom than the hd4000 is to the i5 ulv cpu performance. If both those tests were cpu bound then the atom would be doing much better. It is not. For the atom to show signs of cpu bottlenecking, it would need a gpu that was more than twice as fast. This means that situations have to be very very cpu heavy for the emphasis to shift from a gpu bottleneck to a cpu bottleneck. The ULV I would guess is rarely if ever bottlenecked by the cpu in wow (and probably never in any other game) meaning that since the atom needs roughly 2.5 times more gpu power to be bottlenecked by the cpu it probably is never.

Also taking the i5 ULV at 768p, it gets around 80 fps. Say we are in the middle of a heavy fight and are cpu bottlenecked down to 30 fps (around 40% of normal fps). Would the atom notice any drop in performance? No, because the atom is still gpu bottlenecked (1/4 the power of the i5 ULV =0.25 x 30 = 7.5 fps) when the atom gets gets 7.3 fps under ideal conditions the gpu is holding it back. It should be getting 7.5 fps in the raid (cpu wise) when it will be getting less (probably around 5 fps because the gpu will also be stressed more in the raid from spell effects, etc). The problem with the atom 2760 is not its cpu performance, its its lackluster gpu. Many reviews have said this. The imagination gpu packaged with the atom is a single core design. If it was a dual or quad you might see some cpu bottlenecking.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You still have problems of games being multigigs in size with little to no FMV (or CGI) in it. For example, Darksiders is free through PS+ as a digital download. It is ~10GB in size. Super Street Fighter 4 Turbo plus online edition (meh) is a 18GB download (though it does have lots of CGI/FMV in it). iNfamous was around 10GB or so.
I am a little bit skeptical about streaming games off the cloud. OnLive tried and pretty much failed.

And if Apple allows external storage to be used with these games, how are they going to prevent the rampant piracy that will happen if the system uses iOS for it's base OS? Are they going to ban you from online play or connecting to their storefront like MS/Sony does (if they detect you have a modded system)?
8 years later, game streaming is more of a thing, so I got that wrong. Game sizes have increased and Apple has removed the usb port from the AppleTV nixing the expandable storage idea.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
8 years later, game streaming is more of a thing, so I got that wrong. Game sizes have increased and Apple has removed the usb port from the AppleTV nixing the expandable storage idea.
I have it, its crap.

They dont meet mine for real gaming, no access to a real control, small worlds, and a limited play experience.

Despite that, XBOX 360 games blow iOS games out of the water, in world size, graphics, sound, features, experience, and control. And this is on hardware that started being developed over 10 years ago, just wait till the new monsters come out.

crysis2_screen2_03042010.jpg

halo-4-screenshot-2.jpg

Let me know when ARM SOCs that perform like a mid range desktop PC from 2002 can do that.

Crysis-3-Explosions-Beneath-the-Liberty-Dome.jpg

High end PCs have a party piece as well, love to see an ATV handle that.

yay! Yet the gameplay, still inferior.

Yes, Sound is important, 360 games also do great here.

Yes there are, and I think that place is iOS/Android/Nintendo products. Not on a real console.

Nintendo won't do that, they are hardly on their last legs, yes the WiiU was not a huge sucess, but the next console will be, console sales are down because everyone knows new ones are right around the corner. Nintendo is anything but on its last legs, why should they throw away 80% of their profits to come to apple?

I wish they would, touch control is crap for games

Of course, but the " hardcore " gaming market is still a massive multi billion dollar industry, those gamers won't move to an ATV system.

Im not arguing with its sucess, of course it is. But for the gamers that buy PS3s and 360s, they mostly consider iOS to be time killer games, not real games. You would be hard pressed to make them move to simple games, I would never get up HALO 4 for ANY iOS game.

Of course there is a market for iOS gaming. HOWEVER what you seem to be failing to realize, is that the more hardcore gamers, who want good graphics, good controllers, good online services, and powerful hardware, the PS3/360/High End PC gamers are not interested in iOS games at all, nor are they interested in cheap games, they've already put time and money into their PCs/libarys of console/PC games, they're willing to pay the 60 bucks a game. Developers wont leave them.

Its just like people saying PC gaming is " dead ", its still almost the largest gaming market in the world, and its been " dead " for 20 years.

Dont get me wrong, I have an iPhone 4S as a work phone, a Microsoft Surface RT( free from a promo for our company, win! ), and an S3, I play mobile games all the time, they're fun for awhile, and sure for 3 bucks why not? But they just cant compete with real consoles and real computers.
Its too funny reading these (old in tech years now, 8 years ago lol) posts and what’s actually happened with Nintendo, controllers, Apple TV and - iOS/iPadOS/tvOS gaming in comparison with the two big boys and the lates PS5 and XbX, the size of today’s titles in comparison (@ least 10 times the size) and the abilities of the ‘A’ series 14 chips on iPad/iPhones and the introduction of the M1 SoC - its speed (try browsing and turning ‘on’ or waking a MacBook Air or Pro w/the M1 …and to thin that that’s the least powerful pair of chips both in terms of C/GPU & (unified) RAM we’ll ever see!

I’m not picking on you G51989, just thought both our responses were funny… from almost a decades ago and in the very beginning of the Retina display entering the world of the Mac

times change, quick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.