Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Yes you can. Zoning is controlled via the road you put down - so a high density area needs a bigger road.

That seems damn smart, always bugged me that after a while you would spend the a sizeable chunk of time just fixing old roads and expanding them out.

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
That seems damn smart, always bugged me that after a while you would spend the a sizeable chunk of time just fixing old roads and expanding them out.

I got in a few hours of playtime on the beta they just did this past weekend... let me just say that the roads are a delight. You can easily plop down straight roads, curvy roads, perfect circle roads, square roads. As mentioned previously the size of the road will affect the zoning density. Oh, also you can click to upgrade your roads... no more demolishing and putting down larger roads (the only exception to this is if you are going from a road to an avenue -- still need to demolish and place for this).

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I got in a few hours of playtime on the beta they just did this past weekend... let me just say that the roads are a delight. You can easily plop down straight roads, curvy roads, perfect circle roads, square roads. As mentioned previously the size of the road will affect the zoning density. Oh, also you can click to upgrade your roads... no more demolishing and putting down larger roads (the only exception to this is if you are going from a road to an avenue -- still need to demolish and place for this).

Sounds good, looking forward to getting this onto my system, I've been playing Cities XL in the mean time (SC4 was always too buggy on the mac for me), it's not the same.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Wait, you're asking if it's okay to buy if you're above the minimum? Surely any form of logic indicates yes? However why are you buying an old series card? Look at the current 600 series.

thanks for the advice! I decided to go ahead and buy the GTX 650 series card. Playing Crysis 2 on Extreme settings, looks great! Now to see what the SimCity can do with this card....gotta wait cuz the Beta is over and the real game isn't coming out for another 2 weeks.

This is killing me!!!

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Since there is no word on when SC2013 will be available for Mac. And since my machine is not bootcamp compatible. Does anyone know of a way to get the last Simcity installed on a new Mac? My DVD-ROM is from the PowerPC era, so it isn't even recognized by OS X. Is there somewhere that offers a download? All this anticipation has really given me the SimCity bug and I need to scratch...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Since there is no word on when SC2013 will be available for Mac. And since my machine is not bootcamp compatible. Does anyone know of a way to get the last Simcity installed on a new Mac? My DVD-ROM is from the PowerPC era, so it isn't even recognized by OS X. Is there somewhere that offers a download? All this anticipation has really given me the SimCity bug and I need to scratch...

There is an intel patch, but it's pretty awful and not even remotely optimised, it crashes a ton too.

Just curious, how is your machine not bootcamp compatible? As far as I was aware all Macs are bootcamp compatible, unless you have a RAID 0 setup?

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
There is an intel patch, but it's pretty awful and not even remotely optimised, it crashes a ton too.

Just curious, how is your machine not bootcamp compatible? As far as I was aware all Macs are bootcamp compatible, unless you have a RAID 0 setup?

Not the 3TB fusion drive iMac. Not yet, at least.

I knew about that patch, and that it is not very good, but I can't even get OSX to let me install the PowerPC version. Oh well, I wait (not so patiently) for the new one.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Do you guys think that the current generation MBP 13'' (late 2012) will be able to run this? I'd really like to buy it when it gets out but I don't know if my machine will be able to run it decently.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do you guys think that the current generation MBP 13'' (late 2012) will be able to run this? I'd really like to buy it when it gets out but I don't know if my machine will be able to run it decently.

Maybe this page will help: Ea.com. If your machine meets the requirements I assume it will run fine. It may even run it your machine does not quite meet the specs. My wife's 2010 Macbook plays Spore fine although it does not meet the official system requirements.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I've played the closed betas, seems like it'll be pretty fun. A few caveats I found:

-When going from the 1st Beta to the 2nd to 3rd, you had to do the tutorial every time. Kind of annoying as it was pretty much exactly the same every time.

-The first few betas were fine, although most items are not available (which sucked)

-The last beta (Wednesday, I want to say?), you got all the tools and choose which city in the region to build, but after a while, you couldn't edit any buildings or build new ones. Nothing would pop up. Very buggy. However, I was using an external cheat utility to get more money. Not sure if that's related or not.

I have a 2008 MBP w/ a Geforce 8600m card. It ran ok, but the graphics detail not that great. I don't have a 2012 MBP so I don't know how it compares. The integrated graphics shouldn't be too much worse than mine.

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Mid 2011 Macbook Air, any good?

Hi,

Can't wait for the 2013 Sim City to be released but I was wondering if my Mid 2011 Macbook Air would be able to handle it?

It has the following spec:

Processor: 1.7Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384Mb

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hi,

Can't wait for the 2013 Sim City to be released but I was wondering if my Mid 2011 Macbook Air would be able to handle it?

Should be fine on low settings.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Hi,

The Minimum requirements to run the game on Mac is Snow Leopard, Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel HD3000, and 4GB, so you should be able to run it just fine.

The only thing that upsets me is that you have to wait for the Mac version (and it's download only) :( Hopefully the release will at least be close to the March 5th release for the Windows version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The only thing that upsets me is that you have to wait for the Mac version (and it's download only) :( Hopefully the release will at least be close to the March 5th release for the Windows version.

If you have Bootcamp, you can buy the PC version and then you will get access to the Mac version when it arrives.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
If you have Bootcamp, you can buy the PC version and then you will get access to the Mac version when it arrives.

Absolutely sure buying the PC version gives you the Mac version for free? If so, I probably will....

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
February has come and gone...

Looks like it's supposed to be released Tuesday for PC and they're still saying "Spring" for the Mac.

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-03%20at%208.34.59%20AM.png

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
If this is true than I will suffer some bootcamp till MAc version comes then.
EA singapore facebook:
Electronic Arts (EA) Singapore Hi guys, please note that the Mac version will be sold separately.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
EA singapore facebook:
Electronic Arts (EA) Singapore Hi guys, please note that the Mac version will be sold separately.

I have logs and screencaps of reps saying the opposite, (and the opposite is how most of their games work now) so I'm not worried. Still somewhat of a risk, though.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
What would run this game better?

MBP mid 2010, 2.53 core i5 8GB 330M/256

or

MBA mid 2011 1.8 core i7 4GB Intel 3000/384

I'm guessing the MBP.

I'd have to install bootcamp on either one. I don't think it'd run in a VM well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.