Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
this can't be happening!

----------

you missed the ipod hifi?

could even include the mighty mouse, magic mouse and the trackpad. although not new the new imac and mac pro are not the greatest thing since sliced bread. and if you want to go beyond physical devices then iwork and ilife and perhaps even final cut deserve a mention.

but you base those 6 points on the pretty much one mobile device released in a few different sizes with an os that started to look and feel dated years ago.

love my Apple HiFi! Really good solid bass response - thing weighs over 20 pounds. Not sure why they cancelled this one.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Any chance, this could be the replacement for the Mac Pro, Apple has been talking about?

I want a new Mac Watch Pro!

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
this can't be happening!

----------

love my Apple HiFi! Really good solid bass response - thing weighs over 20 pounds. Not sure why they cancelled this one.

i actually wanted one and have no idea about its quality but not everything apple does is a huge success and you dont have to know everything about the company to know that

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I forgot how well headphones display text and graphics

A voice can read caller ID.
A voice can read text.

And if I really really need to look at an image. I have this phone in my pocket.

So the argument is that we should all get an iWatch with a 1" screen.
Because it will addresses that desperate need to see something when pulling out a phone is way too inconvenient.

This is a gimmick. There is zero actual usage need being expressed here.
Let Samsung have this one. It's a turkey.

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Intrigued, but not because of the mock-ups

If it's not waterproof, i'm not even considering it. Otherwise, I love the idea of one of these.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
To the people who own an iPhone and already wear a watch, this is an easy sell. To the people who keep complaining that this is a stupid idea- chances are they will buy one anyway.

I'm all for a smartwatch movement. I wear a watch daily as it is, and if a watch offers any kind of realistic link to my phone I'd consider that useful. Especially when I'm at a meeting, in the hood, on my bike, etc.

r4man

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
I wonder how long Apple has been considering a watch? Many years ago there was a vendor at MacWorld selling Apple watches. Basically they were just an inexpensive watches with brightly colored wristbands and an Apple logo. As I understood it, at some point Steve Jobs walked by the booth, saw the watch and flew into a rage, demanding that they stop selling it. They refused citing the fact that they had gotten (I assume paid for) permission from Apple. Of course everyone realized the writing was on the wall for them and their product. At the time it seemed so weird that Steve Jobs would take such umbrage for such a minor thing. Most seemed to shrug their shoulders with a "that's Steve" attitude. Is it possible that even then Apple had some sort of watch on their scratch boards?

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Air Play

Of course all this is speculation.We don't really know if Apple is even working on a watch. However, there is one blip in their product lineup that this could solve. Having an iPhone and a tablet is a duplication of effort and can require two data plans. Adding a screen in the car—and potentially a screen in the living room (let alone the laptop or iMac in the den) and suddenly you find yourself with a lot of screens. A computer system of the future might solve this with each user having their personal app data on a smaller device while they access the data on other screens. The challenge becomes "how does the smaller device work with the other screens?" Once the devices can communicate with each other, how do third party apps store data on small personal transports and access that data when a user launches the app on the larger screen?

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
If it can integrate the fitbit and nike plus fitness functionality (can't see why they couldn't) then it will be a very interesting product. Part of the whole quantified you, you can get your messages and check the state of your health at the same time. It would be a perfect device for health professionals to receive information about you and to deliver information to you based on those readings.

Things could get more interesting if they were compatible with heart rate monitors or had one built into it or compatible with blood pressure monitors.

As long at the screen is not huge like the Pebble, but more discrete like a wrist band I could see it working. Touch sensitive controls on the band part itself and touch the screen to select. If they keep it simple and stylish and not as an iPod/iPhone replacement I can see it working very well. Eg don't try to implement a keyboard on it, that's just stupid. Voice recognition however would be brilliant on it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This article says nothing about what is going on at Apple, but what idea some British newspaper has. As long as Apple doesn't replace Jony Ive with some journalist writing for the Observer, Apple will be doing just fine.

No, the articles quotes are by Former Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassée, the only thing in the entire article from the newspaper are the mock ups.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This iWatch stuff is really getting out of hand...for a product that will probably never even exist. I guess it's a slow week for analysts and the press and they need to fill the time wi something. :rolleyes:

Now watch as massive media disappointment causes AAPL stock dive again when no iWatch is introduced at WWDC.

scho52386

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
How is Samsung copying Apple on this watch? I don't know my tech watch history...but wasn't it Pebble that made this idea popular? So doesn't that mean both Apple and Samsung are copying Pebble?

Also...am I one of the maybe 20 people on this site that will buy something regardless of what company makes it as long as it is suited for my needs? I really don't care if Samsung, Apple, or Company X makes the product or copies it or whatever, as long as I am the one who wins by purchasing the product at a price that reflects competition. Unless you own stock in these companies, their success in a market should not be this big of an issue...

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Wall Clock -> Pocket Watch -> Wrist Watch

Desktop/laptop -> handheld computer -> Wrist Computer

During Wall clock and Pocket watch times, I am sure there are people who were skeptical of wrist watches. "Ugly", "Too small", "why would I want THAT on my wrist", "I can always pull out my watch from my pocket if I want to see the time" .etc.

stevedun

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
Awful mockup aside, that image of the map app on a watch has me intrigued. I spent the weekend in D.C. and, not knowing my way around, found myself holding on to my iPhone a lot more than usual. Lightyears beyond unfolding a map and juggling a compass, but still not perfect. Being able to glance at my wrist every few blocks to make sure I'm still on track would have been much better than 1) stop pushing stroller, 2) remove glove, 3) pull iPhone from pocket, 4) unlock phone, 5) lock and put away. I would find this to be a very handy companion to my iPhone.

No headphone jack - that's just stupid. Siri would be nice, so a mic makes sense. A speaker for relaying phone calls would be very James Bond-esk. No need for a camera. Bluetooth connectivity to the phone. RFID could really open up some possibilities.

DasBoot33

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Not sure if serious?

Must be nice to have a job where you don't actually work. Any job where you do actual work doesn't allow cellphone use on the job, if you're even allowed to have it on your person.

Dude... GO BUCKS btw. I don't know where you work but I'm a programmer for a large bank and I use my cellphone at work all the time. :D

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
To the people who own an iPhone and already wear a watch, this is an easy sell. To the people who keep complaining that this is a stupid idea- chances are they will buy one anyway.

I'm all for a smartwatch movement. I wear a watch daily as it is, and if a watch offers any kind of realistic link to my phone I'd consider that useful. Especially when I'm at a meeting, in the hood, on my bike, etc.

Well we as Apple customers can't buy everything the company makes, especially when it's not really something they specialize in. Surely, the "iWatch" can be nothing short of a mini computer and that IS something Apple specializes in but you shouldn't own everything one company makes.

I just bought a Vitamix blender. Should my next blender purchase be one from Apple if they made one? Should I buy my car from Apple if they made one? I'm not even in favor of buying this rumored TV from Apple.

For some things the ecosystem makes perfect sense and I would prefer it that way but a watch? Really? NO. Apple doesn't need my money that badly and I don't need their watch that badly.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Maybe Apple can do something different here, although I seriously doubt it will be some sort of super exercise tool, considering Cook sits on the board of Nike as well as Apple...

But it has got to get the battery right and I don't think it can.

Last edited:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I don't understand why hearing would be a huge problem, even without an ear piece. As for the car, there is a very simple solution available-- just integrate with your car's sound system.

The in-watch speaker is just too small, I think, to be audible in a noisyish place. And if there was some tech to make a teeny tiny speaker loud enough to hear, then everyone else would be hearing it too.

The listening system may be the key to the whole deal.

Like I said, it could work in a car more easily, through the speakers.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
If this doesn't come with gold or diamonds, then no one's going to buy it.

Watches = jewelry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.