Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Missmouse3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I downloaded puffin & after the free flash trial was over I uninstalled it. however, now when I reinstall it, it seems to remember I have used the 14 day free trial! How can this be? Have cleared my cookies!

Missmouse3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
If you like it, buy it. They use APIs within the app to identify your device/reinstalls.

" API"? I'd like to try it abroad first before I buy it hence:apple:the desire to keep it enabled for a few more days! is this API thing like a cookie on a normal computer? must be a way of erasing it?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
They seem to be doing something with sharable codes, check out the comments for the app; there are tons of codes there. They claim if you use it both you and they get 4 more weeks for free.

It's $2.99 to buy, if you've used it that long, sounds like you should buy it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
" API"? I'd like to try it abroad first before I buy it hence:apple:the desire to keep it enabled for a few more days! is this API thing like a cookie on a normal computer? must be a way of erasing it?

I think you would have to log into the App Store with another account and download it again.

API meaning that the app has an identification on file for your device and it probably checks if it's valid via its servers. Kinda like what Adobe does with its software.

Missmouse3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I think you would have to log into the App Store with another account and download it again.

API meaning that the app has an identification on file for your device and it probably checks if it's valid via its servers. Kinda like what Adobe does with its software.

Is there some way in which I can hide this identifier then? I don't like the idea of this quite apart from the app we are discussing here!

Missmouse3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Apple doesn't allow developers to use UDIDs anymore, but developers still have right to use DRM measures. So no.

Hmmm, so say I sold my ipad, the new owner trying to download puFfin would find they couldn't have a free flash trial? & etc?
This seems bizarre! There is no way a PC would behave in such a way!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Hmmm, so say I sold my ipad, the new owner trying to download puFfin would find they couldn't have a free flash trial? & etc?
This seems bizarre! There is no way a PC would behave in such a way!

Depends on what the author did to protect themselves. But at this point I recommend you stop your conversation here. Asking people on how to bypass the DRM of something is against the TOS of the forums.

BTW, you've obviously never used any Adobe product on a PC before, because it does basically this. It ties itself hard to the machine, yes is a way to "untie it" but it's not so easy. And Microsoft just announced that the new version of office ties itself to the machine and ONLY that machine forever. Thus you buy it, you install it, and that is the computer that can use that license. No more upgrading your computer and reinstalling, nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.