Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Hi all, I've just bought an iBook on ebay, the battery it's almost dead and i want to buy a good battery for replace, not the rubbish cheap ones from ebay..

I'm in Spain, how i can buy a good one?

thanks in advance

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
^^^^
This, top notch quality.

Worth the extra money?

I've read that the original battery lasts for 6 hours. Is this correct? How much i can expect from the nupower in terms of battery life? What about Oncore batteries? My iBook specs are G4 1.20Ghz, 1.25Gb RAM and Leopard 10.5.8..

Carrot Time

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
boston
Worth the extra money?

I've read that the original battery lasts for 6 hours. Is this correct? How much i can expect from the nupower in terms of battery life? What about Oncore batteries? My iBook specs are G4 1.20Ghz, 1.25Gb RAM and Leopard 10.5.8..

It's totally worth it, and yeah I remember when I owned an iBook G3 (Earlier too) it got 4 hours, on "Maximum Battery Life". So I would pay the extra and but the one that's top notch.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Worth the extra money?

That's up to you whether or not it's worth it. Six hours seems a bit high for an iBook.

The battery I got from TechOrbits gave ~3 hours, 15 minutes with relatively heavy use, and has remained "healthy." If you need extended battery power and are willing to take the bet that the expensive one will give you this over time, then the decision is made for you. However, if after spending $86 on the battery you come to learn that you'd be fine with 3+ hours for twenty five bucks, then it likely isn't a good deal.

The thing is, for $86 you can get three quality batteries from TechOrbits (if that's what you decide to do with your money), without worrying about them burning out all at once. If you need the extended battery power, then you're going to be stuck spending ~$86 each time your battery dies.

Bear in mind that these are generally older items that are likely to wear out more quickly than those that are fresh off the assembly line.

Personally, there's no way in hell I'd spend more than $40 for a battery. But then, I rarely need more than an hour or two on battery power.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Worth the extra money?

I has the same G4 as you and even when it was brand new, I was lucky if I could get four hours with just light web surfing. I think six is very very optimistic.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I has the same G4 as you and even when it was brand new, I was lucky if I could get four hours with just light web surfing. I think six is very very optimistic.

I'm guessing that 6 was the Apple specified life, which, until recently, was optimistic.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Thank you all for your support, i've just bought two Techorbits batteries. I took the 6h battery life info from everymac.com.

Greetings

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I've just received the batteries, i'm a little disappointed cause they don't have the same finish than the iBook body, i suppose that is normal for all replacements, so i'm happy.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Yeah I got one about three days ago and mine is solid white with no gloss and the 'rubber' foot is really plastic and it has what looks like a metal ring but is really plastic,but either way I'm happy I only paid $18 and the other battery held NO charge it would shut off if the charger came out.I really like the Ibook though its lighter than my powerbook and I dont worry as much about scratches etc. etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.