Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Smart?! Do you really think it would be 'smart' of a Brazilian court to base a decision on the need to keep Apple happy rather that the need to uphold the laws of their country? I think it would be shameful, and I'm pretty sure Brazil isn't that desperate.

Some people on here have a really screwed up world view.

I actually don't. Brazil just pissed off Apple. I think it would, actually, because Brazil could have just risked 1000s of good jobs for their people, instead of a bogus trademark on an irrelevant, bankrupt, company.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I actually don't. Brazil just pissed off Apple. I think it would, actually, because Brazil could have just risked 1000s of good jobs for their people, instead of a bogus trademark on an irrelevant, bankrupt, company.

Wow. And you don't think that's a screwed up world view?! Words can't adequately express my contempt.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Nope. It's screwed up but that's the way it is buddy.

Sometimes you have to make the choice between "right" and what's good for people.

Ok. That's crazy talk. What's good for people is the recognition that an action is in fact right. A right action can make a greater impact than an improper action performed simply under the presumption that is in the best interest of the people. In this case, what is right and what is good for the people is that the Brazilian government is upholding the law that their citizens rely on.

Which "people" were you referring to?

Undermining their own laws would also challenge their own authority and could also result in questions of national identity and security.

If Apple wants the trademark that badly(even though this company is definitely taking advantage of the popularity of the iDevice line) then they will end up paying for it. If not, there are other ways to get their products into Brazilian hands(just include one with every purchase of an Apple iFootball(soccer ball for Americans). :)

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
was Apple the one to set the trend for small letter capital letter? eg. eMac iMac. I remember playing online games and everyone was always iSomething. even the movie I, Robot kind of seems like it got the idea from there. Whoever set this trend should have right to use the term since it reflects upon themselves/company

LOL - I, Robot is based on the book I, Robot that was published in 1950

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
LOL - I, Robot is based on the book I, Robot that was published in 1950

k well I don't know this. If I asked you what 1+1 was when you were first born and you did a poop instead i wouldn't say LOL. It's not like I am backing anyone here either. I am just saying whoever set the trend should have the right to use it whether it was Apple or someone else.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
k well I don't know this. If I asked you what 1+1 was when you were first born and you did a poop instead i wouldn't say LOL. It's not like I am backing anyone here either. I am just saying whoever set the trend should have the right to use it whether it was Apple or someone else.

A basic grasp of grammar would indicate that "I, Robot" means something very different to "iRobot"

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If I were in charge of Apple, I would just simply not sell the phone in Brazil. Sure, make it available for sale online, but have the shipment of the phone come from some other country like: Colombia, Argentina..even Ecuador. Then that creates jobs in those other countries for shipment(not too many though) and then each government gets nice little tax incentives for the product all while Apple still makes money on the phone, keeps manufacturing facilities in Brazil, and doesn't infringe on the trademark. Done and done.

Spite would be a silly basis for business decisions.

That's a bad policy. As for Apple you guys are are silly. There is no way to tell if this one factor makes business in Brazil less profitable to a point where they would alter manufacturing plans.

A basic grasp of grammar would indicate that "I, Robot" means something very different to "iRobot"

It's still important to consider that this looks different from a 2013 paradigm. Look at the size of Apple in 2000 when this trademark was filed compared to today. I'm not sure how many people would have believed that the lower case i would be carried on to so many products or that Apple would become this large. As far as trademarks are concerned, Apple had a short dispute with Cisco who also owned a trademark on "iphone" (and a working product) carried over from Linksys in however many countries.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Spite would be a silly basis for business decisions.

It's not spite. It's simply a business plan that actually doesn't drastically alter the present situation. It simply utilizes existing avenues for sale of the iPhone in a country where it is not officially available; like China.

It's also similar in the way that iPads "magically" found their way into the hands of Chinese buyers before Apple even purchased the trademark. Yes, purchasing the TM made it more profitable to manufacture and sell the devices in the same country, but the type of approach before the TM was owned by Apple does not make the policy or actually lack of policy a spiteful one.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's not spite. It's simply a business plan that actually doesn't drastically alter the present situation. It simply utilizes existing avenues for sale of the iPhone in a country where it is not officially available; like China.

It's also similar in the way that iPads "magically" found their way into the hands of Chinese buyers before Apple even purchased the trademark. Yes, purchasing the TM made it more profitable to manufacture and sell the devices in the same country, but the type of approach before the TM was owned by Apple does not make the policy or actually lack of policy a spiteful one.

It may or may not change the fundamentals to a level where it makes sense to alter plans to sell the iphone directly in Brazil. It doesn't mean they won't still find a way to sell directly in Brazil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.