Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So soon everywhere you go people will not only be playing with their phones they will also be talking to their watches? Or maybe the iWatch will have cell connectivity leading to the demise of the iPhone? Film at 11.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
... that you have to pull out and use like a pocket watch. the wrist watch killed the pocket watch for a reason, it doesn't take a genius to see that there is a market if this is done right. It's just history repeating itself. It is inevitable. I think it would be cooer if it was small like jawbone up, but beamed a holographic display onto your retina.

----------

Real life is so limited by geography, such a tiny bubble, the internet gives you access to people around the world. I think most people use facebook poorly, but the power of the tool is amazing. Enhanced life > real life.

tiny bubble = face to face human to human communication
i think when people prefer access to people around the world more than interacting within their bubble, there are problems! ie. when people go on facebook on the dinner table with a group of people who are all in conversation with each other. I'm certainly guilty. And i dont wish for this to worsen!
we actually have a rule in my group of friends whereby we all place our phones in one stack on the table. and if one person reaches for the phone (ie. to reply to a text...phone calls are exempted) or to reply to a facebook/twitter/instagram notification, they foot the bill for the whole table.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I'm curious as to if there is even a market for this. I know many people who don't even wear a watch anymore because they rely on their phone. I can't recall the last time I asked someone for the time and they looked at their watch instead of their phone.

Yes, there are people who rely on their phone to tell them the time, but I wear a watch all the time, I love wearing a watch I hate being without one, and I'll tell you that from my experience, those same people who use their phones as clocks would rather ask me sometimes what time it is than pull their phone out of their pockets (for any number of reasons). Wear a watch for awhile and if people notice you've got one, you'll get asked a lot too (at least that's my experience).

For people who already wear watches on their wrists, and there are lots of us, having that device we already wear suddenly become able to do lots more stuff is a no-brainer (assuming the functions and features are useful of course) - there is a market for this, I'm a potential target and so are millions and millions of other people who already wear watches, and then the follow on market of people who might actually realise some utility from wearing a device on their wrists when previously they didn't.

ad2435

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
that is the most hideous, ugly and disgusting looking watch i have ever seen in my 61 years of living on plant earth.

omg

dynafrom

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
It doesn't even look close to what a true watch at that price range should look like.

929786d1357751900-looking-everyday-watch-~500e-max-700-ubermax-800-tissot_visodate.jpg

These flat screen designs are for hipsters.

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
they already had it right with the iPod Nano 6th Generation.

They could possibly improve on it by:

- slightly larger curved glass touchscreen
- interchangeable bands
- bluetooth (usable as a "key" for macs, and idevices)
- lightning connector (obviously)
- use the iPod "faux ios" system (ios is probably too much for this thing to handle, and would help on battery life)
- allow notifications to show up and be managed by iwatch (if I click "dismiss" i want that notification gone from my lock screen too)
- water resistant (most people I know don't bother removing their watches, apple would have to make it water proof especially if they market it for fitness)
----
the headphone jack is awkwardly placed, on top or the bottom would work better.

full screen maps? wow that's a big no-no, can barely make out, what's on my 3gs without zooming in a lot, this would be murder on my eyes.

speakers - yeah, no. big battery drain, and they would sound extremely awful (more awful than the 2nd generation ipod touch speaker)

I can kind of see the camera and facetime working if the device had cellular connectivity, but then it wouldn't make sense to drain the battery so much for a feature not many would use.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Hmm, No one clearly. Oh hold on it's a 12 Billion Euro a year industry.

True..maybe I'm just in the minority..when I do wear a watch it is usually as a designer accessory...not for checking the time:..:apple:

Sorry but i don't see myself buying one...I'll probably buy a iPad mini before an iWatch

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Not sure if I want an iWatch…

"People don't know what they want until you show it to them."

:apple: Steve Jobs

riverpoet

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
Never underestimate laziness. My iPhone is a meter away on a desk, but the iWatch is on my hand. $149 or below, iBuy.

wimdows

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Funny you should say that...

I'm not a fan of this idea. I just don't see the point to it. I'm also not a watch type of guy, so that may explain it...

As it happens, I am a watch type of guy, and I'm not a fan of this idea either.

Who the hell would buy this?

I call BS on this Apple watch thing.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Come on. It's OBVIOUSLY very poor mock-up. Somebody got iPhone model and just deformed it in shape of watches. I don't believe Macrumors are writing about such a retarded picture.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
One of the main advantages of the current wrist watch is the longevity of the current battery life. I don't have to change a battery for 5 - 10 years.

I would hate to be charging this new iWatch every single night just to be able to see it's main function, the time :eek:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
they already had it right with the iPod Nano 6th Generation.

They could possibly improve on it by:

- slightly larger curved glass touchscreen
- interchangeable bands
- bluetooth (usable as a "key" for macs, and idevices)
- lightning connector (obviously)
- use the iPod "faux ios" system (ios is probably too much for this thing to handle, and would help on battery life)
- allow notifications to show up and be managed by iwatch (if I click "dismiss" i want that notification gone from my lock screen too)
- water resistant (most people I know don't bother removing their watches, apple would have to make it water proof especially if they market it for fitness)
----
the headphone jack is awkwardly placed, on top or the bottom would work better.

full screen maps? wow that's a big no-no, can barely make out, what's on my 3gs without zooming in a lot, this would be murder on my eyes.

speakers - yeah, no. big battery drain, and they would sound extremely awful (more awful than the 2nd generation ipod touch speaker)

I can kind of see the camera and facetime working if the device had cellular connectivity, but then it wouldn't make sense to drain the battery so much for a feature not many would use.

Camera, wifi, cellular, BT and a lighning connector oh and a few gigs of memory??? Do you know how HUGE that watch would have to be or the battery would last less than an hour!

I say it should be sports focused with sensons to measure things similar to the Nike Fuel band and integrate to apps on your idevice or Mac. It only needs BT IMHO for music playback and synching to iDevices or Macs. Apple could do a lot further than the fuel band however. So integrate your music, maybe audio books and a host of body function measurements, workout measurements and tightly integrate it to an iDevice/OSX apps and you have something interesting.

Give me some workout app on the phone that measures how many steps I ran or walked and heart rate monitoring, with voice prompts to speed up or slow down. Let me tell it to start measuring my reps and sets for a given workout, for example, I preload my workout routine on my iPhone or Mac, load it to the watch, then I press Chest and bench on the watch and enter the weight, it counts the sets and reps I do, synching back to my log on my Mac. It could also report on heart rate, body temperature, etc. Voice could be used to also count down my rest period and tell me when I have X seconds left, prepare to being next set, etc. It could even tell me, based on last weeks workout and my routine, what exercises are to be done today, with how much weight, reps and sets based on previous weeks routines, I could then update it on the fly. For example, if I benched 200 pounds for 4 sets of 10 reps, and the last set I did 210 pounds, I could update it on the watch, it syncs back when in range to the app and my next workout reflects the new goal.

For exercising I can see this as a huge deal. But also day to day, each night your schedule is loaded into the watch from your Mac or iDevice, then the watch can alert you of appointments and give basic information. yes your phone can do this, but I think the watch can be far more useful.

Yeah things like wifi would be nice, but battery life would be a concern, I do not want to have to charge my watch during the day. Watches are different than other devices, people expect them to be always on and always available, so we would need a few days of battery life IMHO; wifi would kill this.

Depending on just what it does and cost, I can see this being pretty cool.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
This looks fascinating. Can't wait for the finished product.

As with all Apple products, you should wait for the 3rd generation of the product before you get what you should have gotten in the first place. Just be prepared for the usual money milking and incremental updates, all to make your iWatch obsolete as soon as possible.

We've seen how it all works already.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
IF this ever truly come to fruition, it will prove once again that apple really have nobody in their team who can honestly say iphone needs work.

This comes out this year and iphone 5s come out, wow, watch out apple. Be ready to lose another 20% of your value.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Big Data companies will be thrilled. Tracking you everywhere you go.

Keeping tabs on your vital signs & other health data, to determine your insurance premiums, oh yes, it just gets better.

This _is_ the Golden Cash Cow for Apple.

Strap it on iLovers... :)

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
As with all Apple products, you should wait for the 3rd generation of the product before you get what you should have gotten in the first place. Just be prepared for the usual money milking and incremental updates, all to make your iWatch obsolete as soon as possible.

We've seen how it all works already.

I'd go one further and say they will design it to only work with the iPhone 5s and late 2012 MBP and iMacs running ML 10.8.3 only.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
So others are working on 5+ inch phone w/ 1080 display and this is what apple is working on? Performance won't lie... public will show their displeasure by not buying them as much.(iphone 5s I am talking about)

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
those mockups must be some kind of a joke. It's just an iphone shrunken onto a watch. Just, wow...
These should win some sort of an award for worst photoshopping skills of all time.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I get emails all the time trying to sell me fake Rolexes and such. The hands don't move, but the dazzle of a hundred fake diamonds set in fake gold is supposed to attract women I think.

In time there will be fake iWatches that do nothing magical at all and they won't attract women either.

Hmmm, maybe a fake Ferrari....

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Zero interest for me too, initially ... BUT ...

The thing is, I still have fond memories of reading the comic strips (like Dick Tracy) as a kid, where the hero wore some kind of wrist communicator watch, and thinking how cool that would be.

When I think of the present, I realize the technology is certainly here to do all of that, and more.

It's been a long time since I wore a watch, primarily because I reached the point where I felt like it was a device that did too little to justify keeping it. (If all it does is tell me the time, chances are REALLY good that's just redundant info, if my cellphone tells me the time too, as does a clock in my car or truck, or on the wall wherever I'm at.)

If Apple designs a watch to be little more than a "remote display/control" for the iPhone or another iOS device? It will still be redundant and of no interest to me today. However, if they're talking about making it do everything you do with an iPhone right now? They could be onto something. I'd like to have my cellphone in a wristwatch form-factor. It'd be pretty nice to do a video conference on demand with a device that's already right there on your wrist.... And paired up with a set of stereo bluetooth headphones, it'd be a convenient music player too. Essentially, I could see this replacing the iPhone and the iPod.

I'll be honest. At the moment I have zero interest in something like this. They are going to have to really wow me to get me interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.