Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddyarto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Dear All,
I have a mini ipad 32gb and have a problem with the USB connector cable, it seems I can not access my flash disc thru Ifile.
Please help !

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I assume you installed the jailbreak app that allows you to actually access any flash drive? iFile itself won't do it.

If so, it's likely that your drive requires more than the measly 20mA that Apple has limited the USB adapter to outputting

scubagal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
I'm getting ready to buy the ipad mini and it will be my first apple product.

I would like more info on jailbreaking it to be able to transfer files via usb or sd card

thanks

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You can transfer files via iTunes, no need for jailbreaking. That's just a way to buy the 16GB model and then walk around like this:
m-digitar-lightning-to-usb-sd-card-microsd-camera-combo-adapter-for-ipad-mini-ipad-4-4th-generation-iphone-5-with-lightning-connection-camera-connection-kit-picture-04.jpg

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I'm getting ready to buy the ipad mini and it will be my first apple product.

I would like more info on jailbreaking it to be able to transfer files via usb or sd card

thanks

Buy the USB camera adapter and then an unpowered USB hub (needed to circumvent a "too much power" restriction). You can then open iFile to access whatever you connected, even multiple USB drives at once

scubagal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Buy the USB camera adapter and then an unpowered USB hub (needed to circumvent a "too much power" restriction). You can then open iFile to access whatever you connected, even multiple USB drives at once

Does ifile come with the ipad mini or do I need to get it.

I ordered the camera adapter but also found and ordered a lightning cable to female USB adapter as well.

Guess I now need to see if I can find an old USB hub that from a few years ago.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Does ifile come with the ipad mini or do I need to get it.

I ordered the camera adapter but also found and ordered a lightning cable to female USB adapter as well.

Guess I now need to see if I can find an old USB hub that from a few years ago.

You need to jailbreak in order to use iFile, which is available in Cydia. There's some sort of free version that I forgot how works (trial/freeware/whatever), but it's not very expensive to just buy

usb-hub-ipad-608x382.png

scubagal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Is it difficult to jailbreak it? I know it voids the warranty but if something happens, can it be restored to factory presents?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Is it difficult to jailbreak it? I know it voids the warranty but if something happens, can it be restored to factory presents?

I don't think it's possible to **** it up beyond the restore capability. At least I've never seen anyone that have done that.

As for the jailbreaking process, it takes 5-10 minutes and involves you clicking two buttons

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

Jailbreaking will not void your warranty. If you need to take it to the Apple store for service just restore it from a backup from before the jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.