Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outbackimage

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Why would anyone ever need a Mac Pro? An iMac does everything a Mac Pro does, but in a smaller, sleeker, more portable case.

PrePress pros need a real display that can darken down to ACCURATELY match a prepress sheet @ 5500K. Takes the guesswork out of proofing. Easy to replace 4 internal multiple hard drives is a godsend, saves space, power leads and things just work.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Don't teasing me like that MR

You gotta stop teasing me like that MR, I opened up a new tab, looked at my top sites and saw a picture of a Mac Pro and thought, "FINALLY!" Alas:p

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Why would anyone ever need a Mac Pro? An iMac does everything a Mac Pro does, but in a smaller, sleeker, more portable case.

Hmm,

I have 64GB Ram 12Core, 3 Displays - 6TB on board + 256 ssd drive. + 2gb 285GTX ( hacked PC custom boot rom thing )

It's kinda quick. And handle 24 thread rendering.

and as the other guy said... if you have to ask why, then you don't need to know :)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
is the mac pro sales so small that apple can afford to lose business.. it's a shame really.
Well, yes. The Mac is only about 10% of Apple's revenues. And about two-third of that is portable devices, and among the desktop machines, iMacs probably sell at a ratio of 10:1 compared to Mac Pros. And that is without account for Mac minis. In the end, the Mac Pro is unlikely to constitute much more than 1% of Apple's revenues.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Where can I buy a 12-core iMac?

For those who need the power... professionals... there is no substitute.

Apple may say the iMac is all you ever need... but plenty of other vendors still sell powerful workstations.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Where can I buy a 12-core iMac?

For those who need the power... professionals... there is no substitute.

Apple may say the iMac is all you ever need... but plenty of other vendors still sell powerful workstations.

You guys have actually convinced yourselves that you need 12 cores? :rolleyes:

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Well, yes. The Mac is only about 10% of Apple's revenues. And about two-third of that is portable devices, and among the desktop machines, iMacs probably sell at a ratio of 10:1 compared to Mac Pros. And that is without account for Mac minis. In the end, the Mac Pro is unlikely to constitute much more than 1% of Apple's revenues.

Well yes while that is true. Apple still requires this user base to actually create content for the mobiel devices... and also the power to design the next version... They are always going to need a High end machine to design the lower end versions. Do you really think they will ever allow PC's into the Apple campus? well in any numbers!

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Hmm,

I have 64GB Ram 12Core, 3 Displays - 6TB on board + 256 ssd drive. + 2gb 285GTX ( hacked PC custom boot rom thing )

and as the other guy said... if you have to ask why, then you don't need to know :)

64GB of RAM. How often do you max that out?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Just curious, is it still available in the UK? Last I checked they were part of Europe but not the EU.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You guys have actually convinced yourselves that you need 12 cores? :rolleyes:

Depending on the application... yes.

It's not just Apple who sells powerful workstations... and not just Apple users who use those workstations.

There is a market for workstations.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Hmm,

Omg! Awesome rig mate! What do you do with that much power? :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Since owning a Power Mac and Mac Pro I have updated the optical drive, graphics card and added three additional hard drives.

Can't do that to an iMac.

All over a fan you can easily stop with your finger....

It's not like the fans spin at 10000 RPM with 800 Nm of torque and have razor blades on the ends :rolleyes:

Not sure how it is in Europe, but here in the States that could leave to a lawsuit. Heck someone could inhale exhaust from a car's tail pipe, get sick and sue the car company because there wasn't a warning or something.

It's the new American Dream you know! Sue Sue Sue. :D:D:D

Xteec

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Australia
This may be just wishful thinking, but there is still a strong market for workstations and many people working in Cupertino would be part of that market.

So I'm still hopeful.

monkeymedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Real simple. Mac Pro will most likely be announced at NAB to get back in the good graces of pros.

As the other guy said, "if you have ask....." <----sums it up

Although you can use PCI cards with an iMac via thuderbolt expansion, most of the power users need more access for upgrades and prefer things to be easily swappable.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Hmm,

I thought Tim said the iPad could do 24 thread rendering. :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.