Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Maybe OS 10.9 is going to have ZFS.
More metadata in the FS, yes. No ZFS in 10.9.

I saw a job opening for an engineer at Apple with experience in Sun's Solaris OS.

Here we go :
https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?#&ss=ZFS&t=0&so=&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=26370801
That is a standard description for a system administrator job. Has nothing to do with ZFS.

----------

When was the last time an OS X release had a "wow" factor? I can't even remember...Jaguar perhaps?
Panther (Mac OS X 10.3.x) was really impressive (and fast). Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.x) is still much better than Lion & Mountain Lion, especially the GUI.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I thought it was month before announcement normally?
It's at least from announcement to release sales gets free upgrade.

It depends which announcement you are referring to. Mountain Lion was unveiled in Feb last year, but was shown off again at WWDC in June, which was around the time the Upgrade Program began.

Here is a link to the ML upgrade eligibility. http://www.apple.com/au/osx/uptodate/

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
This...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 2.47.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 2.47.36 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 129

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I imagine the new Mac keyboards. Forget the Brightness, Volume, Media Keys. F1 to Like, F2 to Share, F3 to Tweet :mad:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Also, 10.9 development started a long time ago - way before Apple's stock tanked so at the time they basically had every reason to believe that 10.8 is what users want. (More similarities to iOS).

reading things into apple's stock price in this economy, is imho a little dubious.

In case you hadn't realised, the world economy is pretty screwed. Apple is one of the few big companies out there that is reliably turning a profit, and people are likely fleeing to it and exiting it based on global economic news just as much as due to any product announcement.

I very much doubt the average investor in apple is keeping tabs on OS X.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Don't expect anything until 10.8.3 is released. Apple is probably taking their time getting this minor update right since there won't be many developers left using Mountain Lion once they release the 10.9 Developer Preview.

Last edited:

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Incorrect.

Google Plus matters... but I've given up on it being integrated because Apple hates Google.

That matters not. These "social networks" are nothing more than a waste of one's time, and a way to avoid face-to-face contact with other people.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Don't see what that's got to do with it. Do they only have 1 person working on all of OS X?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Not really. More to do with giving developers a chance to fix their apps for 10.8.3 before moving on to 10.9.

That's how they did it last year. And since last year was a first for a surprise seed of a new version it came exactly one week after 10.7.3.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I am sick of these silly annual new versions of OSX. Last time, it messed up my VMWare file which wouldn't work on Mountain Lion. Out of all the 200+ or so features that Apple touted, less than a handful are relevant to me. The whole place has gone mad. Apple is sick with consumerism, wanting to bring out the latest toy every year. Stuff the stability of apps that have to be updated every year just to work with the latest OSX version. Some of us out here are trying to get some work done on OSX.

Ok, since stability is important to me, I do not upgrade oSX with everyone else. I wait till its more stable, e.g. 10.6.6 or 10.7.4. But it impacts me when I need to buy a new Mac, and it comes with a buggy early version of the latest and greatest OSX, and when I need to transfer my older software, e.g. my VMWare data file.

Money has gotten to Apple's brain, but the fact is, these Apple management people stare at the mirror and con themselves into believing they're still make great products. Why else is the cash pile growing, they justify themselves.

- Bring back a 2 year release cycle of OSX
- Each new OSX, get it up to around 10.x.9 to be totally rock stable
- Have wider beta testing so we consumers are not used as paid beta-testers.

If I didn't have to buy Macs every so often, I would not care. I just would not update until the OS was rock solid, and all of you can gnash your teeth as you help Apple discover bugs. But I do regularly buy new Macs, and I don't like them coming with buggy releases such as 10.7.0-3 and 10.8.0-2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.