Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Yep, however, I kind of wished I bought a bigger iPad. 16Gb doesn't cut it for HD movies (only 3 movies if 3.8GB) and Photos. I might buy an iPad 1 64GB for traveling and leave my iPad 3 for school.

I really hope Apple doesn't mess up iPad 3 like what they did to iPad 1 with iOS 5. I don't mind if the iPad 1 is slow, as long as it can display video its good. EDIT: I found a 64GB for $315 preowned. Also, if I buy a 3G or LTE iPad from anywhere (except Apple), does it need to be activated on my Verizon data plan? I really only want the GPS feature, I could care less about surfing the web anywhere.

A high capacity 1st or 2nd gen wouldn't be a bad choice if it's just for video. And no, you don't have to activate it. We bought a Verizon LTE iPad 3 the other day and didn't have to activate it. You pay for it if/when you ever want to use it.

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Yep, however, I kind of wished I bought a bigger iPad. 16Gb doesn't cut it for HD movies (only 3 movies if 3.8GB) and Photos. I might buy an iPad 1 64GB for traveling and leave my iPad 3 for school.

I really hope Apple doesn't mess up iPad 3 like what they did to iPad 1 with iOS 5. I don't mind if the iPad 1 is slow, as long as it can display video its good. EDIT: I found a 64GB for $315 preowned. Also, if I buy a 3G or LTE iPad from anywhere (except Apple), does it need to be activated on my Verizon data plan? I really only want the GPS feature, I could care less about surfing the web anywhere.

A 64GB iPad 1 for any price is too much. Seriously. This makes no sense to me at all (sorry iPad 1 folks). I know. I know. There is nothing wrong with the device (if I still had mine, I'd maybe use it for Airplay or something). But, I wouldn't buy one now. That's just thinking I can't wrap my head around.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
A 64GB iPad 1 for any price is too much. Seriously. This makes no sense to me at all (sorry iPad 1 folks). I know. I know. There is nothing wrong with the device (if I still had mine, I'd maybe use it for Airplay or something). But, I wouldn't buy one now. That's just thinking I can't wrap my head around.

Is the iPad 1 to slow for you?

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Mine's already lasted me a year, I don't have a doubt in it lasting 3 more. The issue with the original iPad was the fact that it had very little RAM, but that's been solved. The iPhone 3GS still gets updates and its 4 years old. Even if the 3rd gen doesn't receive updates in 3 years from now (which it most likely will) it will still last.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Is the iPad 1 to slow for you?

Frankly, the iPad 1 is simply impossible for me to use. I believe it has something to do with the RAM (something suggested to me on this forum many moons ago), but with certain PDFs (usually ones containing images) it is unable to open them and crashes.

It is easily reproducible, quite common, and forced me to optimize a lot of my files so that they could be read, though not very easily. It was quite unpleasant, and all of the issues I was having were solved with the iPad 2. The iPad 3 gave me the awesome screen, and now I am pretty pleased with the device.

I am in graduate school and it is simply critical that everything opens up for me, so I had to retire the iPad 1. I actually liked some things about it better than the iPad 2 or 3 (in terms of body shape), but i don't miss it a bit, and I would hate to go back to it.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
A tablet with a dual core 1ghz CPU in 4years? IDK but the CPU aspect of the ipad3 is already about 2yrs old, I'd hate to be using it in 4yrs. Tech is changing way too much in the mobile space to even know what things will be like.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A 64GB iPad 1 for any price is too much. Seriously. This makes no sense to me at all (sorry iPad 1 folks).

I completely agree.

The problem with the iPad 1 is it's 256mb of internal memory. (The iPad 2 has 512mb, and the iPad 3 and 4 both have 1024mb)

The issue is with applications written by developers using the latest iPad 3 or 4. They don't keep the memory requirements of their apps below 256mb (because those machines don't have to), and constant crashing with iPad 1s.

I still have my original iPad 1. I use it daily, all day long. Usually Pandora, iTunes, surfing the web, YouTube (company blocks it on our firewalls). It works good for those applications, with some webpages that crash it. But once you get used to what webpages crash Safari, avoid those pages. It's like going to Disneyland with my friends or my grandma. My grandma slows me down like my iPad 1 does, and I can't go on Space Mountain with my grandma like I can't go to certain webpages with my iPad 1.

I will be upgrading to the iPad 5 when it comes out. But, I like to keep my devices for a long time to save money. Heck, I just upgraded an original iPhone 1 to an iPhone 5 last year!

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
My oldest son plays racing games on the iPad 2
It will easily last 2-3 years. Most apps will work on the original iPad

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
You will be good, heck I still use the second gen 3g iphone as my daily, and at it's worst the home button doesn't half work, and its super slow. However it never drops a call, voice service is clear, texting works flawlessly, screen looks like the day I bought it, the back plastic doesn't have a single crack or chip.
Apple makes good stuff as I never had a single phone prior last this long evar!!
Currently I have no reason under the sun to upgrade my Ipad3 it works perfectly, and based on my current iphone experience I have full faith in my ipads longevity.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Depends on what Apple does.

Still using my iPad 1 in 2013.

But the thing is being able to use it and actually use it.

iOS 5 has made the iPad 1 laggy as hell, I bet whenever iOS 8 or 9 comes out, something similar will happen to the iPad 3, it happens to all Apple products eventually.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Depends on what Apple does.

Still using my iPad 1 in 2013.

But the thing is being able to use it and actually use it.

iOS 5 has made the iPad 1 laggy as hell, I bet whenever iOS 8 or 9 comes out, something similar will happen to the iPad 3, it happens to all Apple products eventually.

Does it lag to the point where it makes it unusable or just a big pain? Also, when you type on the keyboard, does each keystroke lag?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Does it lag to the point where it makes it unusable or just a big pain? Also, when you type on the keyboard, does each keystroke lag?

After I restored it and turned off iCloud features it was more more usable. The App Store and Safari crashing was pretty frequent.

Yes, the keyboard will lag. I type pretty quick so yea, it lags mostly on just the first couple characters.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I would hope the product would still be useable after 4 years, and Im sure the battery life will diminish but that is replaceable.

I guess it also depends on how complex the Web becomes and if my iPad 3 can handle it. I guess if it gets slow, I will buy an iPad mini. I am already thinking about saving up for one. And, judging from the responses on another iPad thread I made about iPad 1, it appears to crash on Safari and have massive slowdowns.

I'm still using my April of 2010, original iPad 1...

I kept it, just for fun, despite upgrading at each release cycle.

It operates just as well as it did when new without slowdowns or crashes. Replaced one battery two months ago, everything else is original.

Oh sure, my iPad 4 smokes it, speed wise. And of course it's not retina, but its a good testament to durability. Yet by the same token I've taken care of it as I do all my Mac stuff, which does help.

Another quick example. I'm using my 2002 G4 PowerBook for writing & email. I buy all my stuff new, maintain it, protect it in proper cases when being transported and in turn I get great service life. It's only had three batteries, and no failures or repairs.

I am thrilled with my BTO 15" MBP retina, but the old PowerBook still makes me smile :)

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
I'm not sure how anyone could call the iPad thick. Unless you're an insect maybe.

The current iPad vs whatever iPad comes out 4-5 years from now? Yeah, I'm going to bet it will be considered "thick". Example: iPhone vs iPhone 5.

If you don't think so, just wait til the thinner iPad gets unveiled later this year and watch the comments, and then imagine how thin the iPad in 2017 could get.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
My 6 year old daughter is rocking an iPad 1, it works fine and she abuses the thing to no end. It has gotten slower from the final OS update IMHO and the battery only lasts a few hours, but for her use which is mainly watching girly kiddie vidoes and playing dress up and nail painting games it works just fine.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
It really depends on what you do. I personally couldn't use any iOS device for four years. Four years is an eternity in the tech world. But, if you just do simple stuff like web browsing, email and watching videos, I'm sure it'd be fine. For those uses, the iPad 1 will still be fine in 2014 once it reaches it's 4th bday.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I still have the iPad 1. My gf mainly uses it for email, Facebook, and the Kindle app. I have it hooked up in the kitchen to a speaker with USB that keeps it charged all the time. I mainly use it for audio and video. I think it will still be functional in years to come for certain uses.

I have an iPad3 and plan on keeping until it starts feeling slow. I mainly updated for the better screen and LTE. I could care less about having a thinner, lighter iPad. However, the increase in speed is always a consideration.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
My first gen iPad, bought a few days after the original release, is still going strong. I use it for gaming, e-mail, browsing etc every day.

Sure, the screen isn't retina and Safari chokes on more than two tabs, but really, it's fine. I'd happily use it for taking notes if I were still a student.

I plan to keep right on using it as long as it lasts.

...so...I'd say an iPad 3 will easily last four years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.