Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

firefox.png
Firefox 19 is slated to be launched on Tuesday, but as noted by The Next Web, the latest version is already available for download from Mozilla's servers. The U.S. version of Firefox 19 for the Mac can be found in the aforementioned folder by accessing the Mac directory and then selecting "en-US."

Most notably, this update includes a built-in PDF viewer, making former PDF viewing plug-ins obsolete. The viewer was built using HTML5 and will provide a quicker, more secure way to read PDFs in the browser.

Firefox 19, which comes more than a month after Firefox 18, also includes remote debugging, bug fixes, and CSS improvements. While the official release notes have yet to be posted, the beta notes are available:
-Built-in PDF viewer
-Canvas elements can export their content as an image blob using canvas.toBlob()
-Startup performance improvements (bugs 715402 and 756313)
-Debugger now supports pausing on exceptions and hiding non-enumerable properties
-Remote Web Console is available for connecting to Firefox on Android or Firefox OS (experimental, set devtools.debugger.remote-enabled to true)
-There is now a Browser Debugger available for add-on and browser developers (experimental, set devtools.chrome.enabled to true)
-Web Console CSS links now open in the Style Editor
-CSS @page is now supported
-CSS viewport-percentage length units implemented (vh, vw, vmin and vmax)
-CSS text-transform now supports full-width
-Starting Firefox with -private flag incorrectly claims you are not in Private Browsing mode (802274)
The official launch of Firefox 19 will take place tomorrow, on February 19. The updated version of the browser will be available for download from the Mozilla website.

Update: The FTP link has been removed. Firefox 19 is now officially available from the Mozilla website.

Article Link: Firefox 19 for Mac Now Available for Download

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Firefox has fallen so far behind Chrome and Safari.

Really? I still see Firefox as a the better browser, by far.

Tell me, how functional is Chrome & Safari's NoScript extension? How customizable are their interfaces?

I can't think of any reason to use something like Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Safari.

balwx

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
FF, Chrome, IE, Safari....

Feels like I was using NCSA Mosaic not that long ago.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Are people on Mac still using Firefox? I switched to Chrome after Firefox 4 but I'd be curious to see what's the user base for each browser now.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Really? I still see Firefox as a the better browser, by far.

Tell me, how functional is Chrome & Safari's NoScript extension? How customizable are their interfaces?

I can't think of any reason to use something like Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Safari.

Agreed, and it is open source, and serviced by a dedicated community.

I try not to get paranoid about things, but having Google collect and hang on to all my info does get me wondering at times...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I use to love FF myself, but when they had that period where each new release broke each and every plug in, I gave up; I think this has been long since corrected, but I just moved on. It just became too frustrating and the new version numbering thing is retarded; they would be way better off following the generally accepted practice of point releases for minor changes like this, and version changes for major releases.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Eh... I use Firefox at school, and IMO it's pretty decent. All the major browsers are good now, for most purposes. I use Chrome personally, but I wouldn't at all mind using FF, Safari, or IE (on Windows) either.

It's not bad by any means, but while Chrome and Safari have done a good job of excising themselves of bloat and focusing on application speed, Firefox has gone the heavy customization route. Great for some people, but completely unnecessary for my needs. All of them offer extensions, but Firefox, to me, is defined by these extensions, and the performance slows a bit too much for my liking.

On a Windows machine, though, I'd choose it 10 out of 10 times over Safari.

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Safari Sucks

Firefox has fallen so far behind Chrome and Safari.

Firefox still has features that I consider absolutely necessary, that no other browser has ever had. Chrome is good, not great, I still use it. And I wouldn't use Safari if you paid me to. (I would use IE but only if paid. :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.