Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You are comparing list prices. Anyway, Apple doesn't need to buy a separate GPU for the Mac Mini. They would with your hypothetical Pro Mac. And they don't want to cannibalize iMac sales.

Apple's Mac Mini line was a response to the demand for a "cheaper" Mac. Clearly they decided that a desktop device made from mobile parts was the way to go.

The bottom line is that Apple quite correctly predicted about a decade ago that the future of personal computing was in mobile devices. They made a huge bet on the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines over the years, and it paid off.

Thats the problem. Not everyone wants an imac or a mac mini. Some people don't see the tradeoffs of those designs as worth it for the extra cost and performance penalty. There are a ton of people that will refuse to buy an apple desktop unless they offered something that didn't have so many compromises.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thats the problem. Not everyone wants an imac or a mac mini. Some people don't see the tradeoffs of those designs as worth it for the extra cost and performance penalty. There are a ton of people that will refuse to buy an apple desktop unless they offered something that didn't have so many compromises.

My guess is that there aren't enough for Apple to care about. Mac is only about 20% of their revenues now.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Why would anyone ever need a Mac Pro? An iMac does everything a Mac Pro does, but in a smaller, sleeker, more portable case.

You obviously don't understand the market that the Mac Pro is catered to. When your computer is for work, and not to look good, it needs to be upgradable, it needs to have proper cooling, and it needs to be reliable.

Not getting the job done on deadline because your machine is still rendering, or it's throttling down because of heat, could mean losing the job and thus a $40,000 check, as well as a damaged reputation.

The fact of the matter is that the iMac is not as capable as a (future) Mac Pro, nor does it replace the place in the Market for the Mac Pro (FYI, I'm typing this from my fully blown 2012 iMac).

Renzatic

Suspended
My guess is that there aren't enough for Apple to care about. Mac is only about 20% of their revenues now.

But what a 20%. Just because they don't account for nearly as much money as the iDevices doesn't change the fact that the line still nets them at least a couple billion a year easily.

Remember. It's not only about how much you sell, but about how much you make. If the Mac Pro nets Apple 100 million dollars a year in profits, that's still money made. Sure, it's only a small amount in the grand scheme of things, but why cut a line and lose that extra line of profit?

Just because the market isn't as large relatively? Because it only accounts for a small percentage? I guess it's true Apple doesn't "need" the pro market, but continuing to support them isn't causing them any pain.

----------

That's the old Standard Service Station! It's about time somebody modeled one. :)

Whoa. You know where that's at? You got any pictures of it?

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Why would anyone ever need a Mac Pro? An iMac does everything a Mac Pro does, but in a smaller, sleeker, more portable case.

You have no idea how important a Mac Pro is to Developers, Editors, Video Production, Music Production. Just because you are obtuse in why users need a Mac Pro is not justification for there not to be a need to have the Mac Pro. Understand what it is meant to be used for before posting.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Why can't I just have a Mac with a few PCI slots? I don't need some giant tower with XEON processors, and the Mac mini is stupid.

Time to build another Hackintosh I guess.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Whatever happened to apple marketing themselves on the creative community that does all kinds of fantastic things on their souped-up macs.

It was the that same community that kept them alive in the lean years...

Apple needs the mac pro maybe as much for it's image as it does for its actual sales.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
the creative community that does all kinds of fantastic things on their souped-up macs.

It was the that same community that kept them alive in the lean years...

pay more attention..
they're still out there.. and in bigger numbers than the 'glory years' youre referring to.. ; )

plus the computers are way way more souped up nowadays..

iMeanIt

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Temporarily in Michigan
iMac vs. MacPro for Editing

I've been a professional editor for over 25 years, and have set-up and/or owned numerous iMac and MacPro editing systems. While I'm sure that most editors (like myself) would prefer to have a big-a-- MacPro with 12-cores, >32GB RAM, three-32" monitors and lots of PCI card accessories, there are TONS of jobs that could easily be edited with an iMac.

As some have suggested, NAB would be a fantastic opportunity for Apple to roll-out new MacPros and iMacs to broadcasters. News editors don't need a MacPro to cut news stories, and a TV Station could save a lot of money by networking a half-dozen (or more) 27" iMac based edit booths and a couple of MacPro systems for longer documentary and special programs. And any number of businesses that need in-house production might also be very well served with iMac based systems, Thunderbolt drives and BOBs (Breakout Boxes).

Let's also not forget that FCPX is seeing new updates, including a major revision in the last year, and is an impressive editing system that can easily run on an iMac and handle most (at least 6-broadcast cameras) of the "multi-cam" shoots (that everybody "freaked" about loosing from FCP7), has an outstanding chroma-keyer, excellent audio enhancement and noise reduction, color correction, multiple formats (in one timeline) and excellent news graphics. Some are also speculating that Apple will add a matching 27" monitor to the product lineup - 'a two-monitor iMac set-up would KILL in a broadcast news setting.

It may be just a gut feeling, but I think Tim has big plans to bring broadcasters back into the fold with both iMacs and MacPros running a soon to be (again) updated version of FCPX where jobs get "turned over" sometimes in a matter of 15-minutes, but rarely more than 90.

So, in the big picture, there's plenty of room for iMacs to do professional broadcast and lower-end industrial/training work, while the new MacPros will still make the room-lights dim and flicker when the machines are turned on and rendering multiple layers of composited and motion-graphics.

And as a side-note, from my experience - I get seasick and whiplash with more than two large (27' or 32") monitors plus SD-CRT and HD-LCD monitors. Two 27" screens (one easily selectable between clip-bins and pixel for pixel 1920x1080 monitoring) would be a sweet system that could easily be run as a professional editor's "home" workstation" that he/she could enhance their ongoing projects after-hours, and transfer them into the "office suite" MacPro systems at any time. I often prefer to edit at home - and could add many billable hours with a reasonably-priced iMac based editing system there.

So, as Chauncey Gardiner said in the film "Being There:" "Look for new growth in the spring."

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
As a Mac Pro user, and someone who has always used Apple's towers for work, I can safely say that the Mac Pro form factor is not easily replaced by an iMac.

Speaking purely anecdotally, my Mac Pro has housed various configurations of 4 hard disks, mixing SSDs and Spinning Disks, had two graphics cards simultaneously to power multiple monitors, and now has an OWC Accelsior PCI SSD RAID card along with USB3 and eSATA ports.

I have easily been able to personally make all the upgrades I need for RAM, Storage, GPU, PCI Cards, and even got in and detached the bluetooth chip so I could use a 3rd party solution. I couldn't do any of this on an iMac 2012, aside from the RAM, without plugging in external devices.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 2012 iMacs, especially the topped-up 27" model is a fantastic mid-weight workstation. I have two of them here for my two other designers/developers in my design/web studio. But they are basically stuck with 32GB RAM, and their 1.1TB fusion drives, unless I send them in to be pulled apart - and no true pro in a work environment could pause their workflow for such a long time just to stick in a new drive.

Food for thought. But if you use logic and reasoning, as much as it is true that Apple's focus is consumer products, you would know that Apple is smart enough to keep the Mac Pro moving forward.

LogicRumours

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
I'm sure Apple will bring out a solution for the Pro market which depends on powerful/configurable hardware.

The possible reasons for an iMac Pro is Thunderbolt - having an external drive is no problem for the video market as you can work of them with some good speeds... Audio cards for studios are all USB/FW these days with TB ones popping up. Nevertheless, a Mac Pro revision in a very hip and new form factor could really be a hit...

iGrouch

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
Off Ramp M50
Still a couple on the refurb store. Maybe they are just not available because the last ones were snapped up.

It's in the lap of the gods now.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Thank God this machine is off the market. I can't count the number of bandaids I've had to buy due to small mishaps with the unprotected fan blades when my small children are playing inside the spacious case of my Mac Pro while I'm running it.

:D

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I got rid of my 2010 Mac Pro last month. I built my own Windows station with an i7 3970X and a Quadro K5000. Couldn't be happier. Dexpot makes the transition easier. Snow Leopard Expose and Spaces were the only things I would have missed.

----------

You guys have actually convinced yourselves that you need 12 cores? :rolleyes:

Go back to your iPhoto and iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.