Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loganjb25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Hi everyone, I have an iPhone 3gs 8gb, and the screen and back housing is all screwed and need replacing, but I see on the logic board, right next to the cable 7 connection, a chunk of the logic board is gone, will this affect the iPhone, like what will I lose if I get the iPhone fixed? Is it the arial there? Please help, and thanks in advance, I will give you as much detail as you want..
Best regards
Logan

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 125

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
There is a small metal guy that touches the metal ring around the screen - I have seen that break off these logic boards before, and it normally results in an extreme loss of signal. I'm honestly not sure what effects that entire section of the logic board would have, but I'm sure that it would be nothing good.

Attachments

• hsa3HpY6I2UNWjYJ.huge.jpeg
    hsa3HpY6I2UNWjYJ.huge.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 87

loganjb25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
There is a small metal guy that touches the metal ring around the screen - I have seen that break off these logic boards before, and it normally results in an extreme loss of signal. I'm honestly not sure what effects that entire section of the logic board would have, but I'm sure that it would be nothing good.

Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors

----------

is it worth the bother for a 3gs/8?

i picked up a 3gs/32 in mint condition for £80

Nice bargain!

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors

----------

Nice bargain!

Thats a bargain? I got mine for $70 last year.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

I generally have 4-5 bars of service at my home with very fast data on AT&T. When I have used an iPhone with that little tab broken off, data speeds plummeted to less than EDGE when they were there at all, and call quality suffered greatly.

loganjb25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012

I generally have 4-5 bars of service at my home with very fast data on AT&T. When I have used an iPhone with that little tab broken off, data speeds plummeted to less than EDGE when they were there at all, and call quality suffered greatly.

Thanks for that, well Im from New Zealand, and the Vodafone Network is 2g and 3g here, and I get full bars of both, so would that matter, so just when they move to 3g completely I would have to sell/upgrade?

----------

Thats a bargain? I got mine for $70 last year.
Im from NZ so it explains it all, before my current iPhone, I had a 3gs 32gb, and payed 300 USD for it, and I want to get a new one if this one can't be fixed, can you suggest any shops around the world, whcih sell 3gs 32gb, and have a warranty, I see apple dont any more. Reason I like the 3gs is its curveness, I dont like the new iPhones, as they are to squarish for me, just my opinion, but thanks anyway

----------

Also what about txting? Was that normal, and would the bars of reception differ to a normal iPhone without that tab broken, as I very rarely use Data and calling

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also what about txting? Was that normal, and would the bars of reception differ to a normal iPhone without that tab broken, as I very rarely use Data and calling

Reception would cover just about everything from voice calling, SMS, MMS, data use.

loganjb25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Reception would cover just about everything from voice calling, SMS, MMS, data use.

Okay thanks, so there is a good chance that it wont work like before, and it will have badish recption picking up?

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK

----------

Nice bargain!

i thought it was good value too, and a few weeks later i got another 3gs/32 for £80 so my parents have matching phones lol

loganjb25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
i thought it was good value too, and a few weeks later i got another 3gs/32 for £80 so my parents have matching phones lol

Bump, also so can someone help me get this straight, the little metal tab, that runs off the logic board, and touches the bezel, does that help it with reception? Is there a way I could solder a wire to the board in the right place and run it to the bezel?

Thanks

loganjb25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012

bump

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.