Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ragz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I use a mid 2007 iMac. Now its time to upgrade. I am wondering if it makes sense to get the latest 27 inch with 3TB hdd and a 768gb SSD or wait for haswell and hope that it comes with a retina display?

cheers
A

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I use a mid 2007 iMac. Now its time to upgrade. I am wondering if it makes sense to get the latest 27 inch with 3TB hdd and a 768gb SSD or wait for haswell and hope that it comes with a retina display?

cheers
A

There's a good possibility we shall see a retina iMac but I would wait at this point for haswell regardless if it has retina or not. A lot of members here think it will come late in this year.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
There's a good possibility we shall see a retina iMac but I would wait at this point for haswell regardless if it has retina or not. A lot of members here think it will come late in this year.

It will be interesting to see what Apple determines "retina" to be on an iMac. For the 27", I really, really doubt we'll see a 5120x2880 resolution. It's rather unnecessary due to the distance you view the iMac display at.

That said, I certainly wouldn't be averse to a slightly higher resolution iMac. No doubt about that.

Scrap that, - let's see 5120x2880, Apple! And saying that, with the huge amount of empty space inside the 27" iMac, I'd LOVE to see Apple power that ridiculous resolution with a Geforce 680MX GTX SLI setup. That would be fantastic, and really set the iMac into whole new levels of power. There's certainly room for a larger power supply and dual video cards, though the logic board would need a huge redesign.

So what, though? DO IT, APPLE! :)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Until late 2014 no chance. I think with iTV will launch iMac retina, both retina display for sure.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
By definition, at the distance you normally sit away from it, the iMac is almost "retina" already.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
By definition, at the distance you normally sit away from it, the iMac is almost "retina" already.

Retina is half about the ppi. The other is the crazy res.

I'd LOVE to see Apple power that ridiculous resolution with a Geforce 680MX GTX SLI setup. That would be fantastic.
So what, though? DO IT, APPLE! :)

I was pretty bummed when i saw that it's faster than the 680mx by a good margin.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010

Good point. Although I would welcome a retina iMac (why not?), my late 2012 27'' iMac has a great screen. The text, images, graphics etc. are so crisp and detailed. Even if a retina iMac should come out by the end of this year (however unlikely), if someone needs an iMac now I would suggest go and buy one. The problem is the resolution of the 27'', which is already massive. Apple tends to stick to their guns, and a resolution-doubling would produce so many pixels that I just can't see it happening anytime soon. If we should get a new retina iMac or thunderbolt display (to go with a new mac pro), it would probably be a new size/model all together (or just the 21'' size).

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Only a guess, but I would guess that retina is still a ways off and when it comes, it will either by the 21" first or perhaps a smaller screen. As for waiting, if you need/want it now, buy it now. Anyone who advises waiting for the next release has either not been on these boards for very long or has a very short memory.

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
Haswell iMac

From what I've seen Haswell is oriented more to reducing power than a real speed bump. Granted probably a fairly good improvement but probably will not see an iMac for a while (until the Haswell chips are over the intial release price boost).

Just my wooden nickels worth...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They can't even deliver normal screens right now, so I would think late 2014-2015 if at all.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
If you want retina iMacs than it will cost you... MORE. I'm estimating $4-5k for a 27" model.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
well

my calculating stinks so I couldn't say when this might happen. :D

I was playing with a 27" fusion drive iMac at the 5th Avenue apple store this morning and was suprised at how pleased I was with the display. Text looked wonderful. It was so nice to see adobe software and many other applications/documents open without much glare on a such a large screen (I'm used to working on 19" and 21.5" monitors).

Certainly makes me eager for the revised ATDs - those will be amazing. Not sold on fusion yet (frankly I don't trust two internal drives in this anorexic iMac), but I feel my hate for the new design slipping away after actively using a new iMac with a bit horsepower of inside and seeing how little glare was reflecting back at me.

Retina? If they can deliver that without glare and all the usual issues and not charge much more for it... maybe...

I would have to actually see the Retina though, because the only time I really noticed the retina difference is on the rMBPs due to less glare than than iDevices.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The chance of a retina display on the iMac this year is almost zero in my opinion. The very earliest I would expect to see such a thing would be late 2014.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

Haswell is probably good for a 10% bump at similar clock speeds. Whoopy-dee-doo. More users would probably be interested in 802.11ac wireless than in Haswell, but in any event it could be early next year before anything OTHER than Haswell and an 802.11ac upgrade happen for iMac.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think Retina will come to iMac any time soon.

I'm more excited for Nvidia's Maxwell.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Cost would add at least $1000-2000 more to the machine. How many people can afford that? My opinion on why I do not think we will see one.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Cost would add at least $1000-2000 more to the machine. How many people can afford that? My opinion on why I do not think we will see one.

Why do you think it will be $1000-2000 more? I'm pretty much willing to bet that it won't be that much more, if/when it comes out. It will be a premium, sure, but not anywhere near a $2k premium.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
question: new iMac owners if there is Retina this year or next will you sell your old and upgrade?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Why do you think it will be $1000-2000 more? I'm pretty much willing to bet that it won't be that much more, if/when it comes out. It will be a premium, sure, but not anywhere near a $2k premium.

Part of my thinking is screen cost, the other is Apple is about profit margin. Only an opinion though.

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
question: new iMac owners if there is Retina this year or next will you sell your old and upgrade?

No, with the 27" display I have to sit fairly far back to use the whole screen as it is today. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference with Retina display based the sitting position and desk setup I use with a 27" display. With a 15" or 12" screen-possiably, with a 27" screen-very unlikely.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013

Personally I would keep what I have and forget about what others could purchase.. My MPR is 5 years old and still works well!

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Having the 27" @ 2560x1440, I very pleased with it.

My budget is $2,500 so if Retina is going to cost over $3k, i will be forced back to MacBook Air which by then should also have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.