Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Hi.... Am new to apple & currently buying my first 27imac!!

However while sorting out in the loft my father found & gave me this old apple lap top with an old airport base station & speakers....

Does anyone know what type it is.... How is best to dispose of it assuming no one wants to purchase it!

Many thanks

Model number M6411. When open it says iBook on the upper part above the screen!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 433

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
iBook

Looks like a graphite 466 MHz iBook. Probably has its airport wireless card if he used it with that airport base station. The speaker is an isub to give bass to iMacs and iBooks. Great find. Hope you use them. I have yet to have a 466 in my collection. People want too much for them.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Thanks for response!

Do you know what they are worth approx ?

Also do you know the best way of disposing of lap tops without compromising any info which may be on the hard drive?

Thanks?

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Depends

About 50 to 150. Up to you, just erase all the folders on the hard drive or format from cd if you can find it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks..

So what's best method/source to sell it ?!?

You can't access the Market Place here yet, so I'd look for an Apple collectors site...There are many. If you were UK based I'd be really interested....But shipping etc. would make it prohibitively expensive....Nice find indeed..I'd keep it...:)

----------

You can't access the Market Place here yet, so I'd look for an Apple collectors site...There are many. If you were UK based I'd be really interested....But shipping etc. would make it prohibitively expensive....Nice find indeed..I'd keep it...:)

Oops...You ARE UK based...PM me. I don't know if you'd be interested, but I have a 2011 imac 27" for sale too...Maybe we could work something out?

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
North Essex area..... Yourself?

When you say keep it..... What would be the point..... I have no need for it..... Not exactly functional in today's times....?!? Don't see any real benefit unless it would be worth a lot more in the future?!?

Certainly worth considering your very kind offer of 2011 iMac however I have kinda set my heart on a new machine & secondly... I have read so many horror stories on here about things going wrong i believe starting from brand new with apple care would be the best way to go about things.... Although am open to influence ?

What is the spec of machine & reason for sale if you don't mind me asking ?

Many thanks!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
North Essex area..... Yourself?

When you say keep it..... What would be the point..... I have no need for it..... Not exactly functional in today's times....?!? Don't see any real benefit unless it would be worth a lot more in the future?!?

Certainly worth considering your very kind offer of 2011 iMac however I have kinda set my heart on a new machine & secondly... I have read so many horror stories on here about things going wrong i believe starting from brand new with apple care would be the best way to go about things.... Although am open to influence ?

What is the spec of machine & reason for sale if you don't mind me asking ?

Many thanks!

The 27" is the maxed out July 2011 model, has full AC through July 2015 and is pristine condition...If you are interested drop me an email:)

I upgraded to a new 27" with 3TB fusion drive whihc is the reason for the sale...The Imac is a very fast and capable Mac.

Attachments

• Imac.png
    Imac.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Looks a great machine!! So the AC is transferable as such to a new owner.... Or simply it stays with machine ?!?

Where are you based & how much was you wanting for the machine ?

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Use Disk Utility to format the hard drive. Make sure the Zero out option is selected, otherwise it could be easy to recover the files. To do this, start up from the OS install disc or connect it to another mac through firewire and hold T down while starting up to tether the drive and do it through the other mac.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Does anyone know of any places/sites who might be interested in taking/purchasing old apple gear?!?

Thanks

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
My first Mac was a iBook Clamshell. Loved that sucker all the way into late 2009. I've had every model of the Clamshell. Still have a Tangerine Clamshell in the original box never opened in my attic back home. :eek:

Here's a some pics from my early Apple days. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    596.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    814 KB · Views: 109

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
My first Mac was a iBook Clamshell. Loved that sucker all the way into late 2009. I've had every model of the Clamshell. Still have a Tangerine Clamshell in the original box never opened in my attic back home. :eek:

Here's a some pics from my early Apple days. :)

Wow Great Mac collections! They say older Macs were built to be tough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.