Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I use an Airstash, which I like for a few reasons:

1) It's about the size of a pack of gum, so quite tiny (it's like a large USB stick)....smaller than the HD equivalents.

2) I can pop whatever SD cards I want in it. I have a 32 GB in there now, so I can put a bunch of movies on it, and serve to my iPad + other devices at the same time.

If I need more storage, I can buy extra SD cards. If you were carrying 50 moves or so, it would make more sense to get one of the streaming HD solutions, but for 5-10 movies, this works great, and spare SD cards are cheap. Works great.

Only downside is that it's not that cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirSta...=UTF8&qid=1361199817&sr=8-2&keywords=airstash

Martylaa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Durham

1) It's about the size of a pack of gum, so quite tiny (it's like a large USB stick)....smaller than the HD equivalents.

2) I can pop whatever SD cards I want in it. I have a 32 GB in there now, so I can put a bunch of movies on it, and serve to my iPad + other devices at the same time.

If I need more storage, I can buy extra SD cards. If you were carrying 50 moves or so, it would make more sense to get one of the streaming HD solutions, but for 5-10 movies, this works great, and spare SD cards are cheap. Works great.

Only downside is that it's not that cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirSta...=UTF8&qid=1361199817&sr=8-2&keywords=airstash

Des it only work in a wifi enabled area?
Or could I use one at work without wifi?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Can you watch movies from potable hard drive on the mini?

Yes you can.

Before anyone tries to contradict me, quod erat demonstrandum:

IMG_9621.jpg

Here's what you need:

Jailbroken iPad mini
Lightning to USB camera adapter
FAT32-formatted external hard drive (No NTFS or exFAT)
External power source. This can be a hard drive with its own power source, a powered USB hub, or what I'm using: an external USB cattery pack with a dual-input cable; one going to the Lightning adapter, the other to the battery pack
iFile (app, available from Cydia)

Honestly though, the USB adapter + unpowered USB hub + a few flash drives is a much more portable solution

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012

I have the Airstash as well and it works quite well. It also obviates the need for a camera connection kit since it can import/export photos off SD cards. Pretty nifty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.