Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
If Apple is going to put a retina panel in a MacBook Air then they better have made significant leaps in battery and display tech. They cannot make the Air thicker for a bigger battery, they already have...it's a 13" rMBP... I don't know about this rumor. Little too good to be true.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Hope they dont introduce retina or a redesign... Bought my air 4 weeks ago... Dont want a new one making a show and making mine look out of date :)

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
Won't the rMBP 13" and the rMBA 13" totally overlap each other? I mean, they'd be basically the same exact computer at like 95% of the components, and the thickness/weight difference is not that significant any more.

Shouldn't Apple merge those 2 products then?

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
As a current MB Air owner I'm curious about the battery life, because the only real concern that I have after more than a year of usage is a battery life, which is unfortunatelly not very impressive and I am afraid with a retina display we can hope the same battery life at best, which is not a good news, though the display itself would be a very welcome addition.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple's old refresh model/timeline has been shattered.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. But those that have been adamant about timing their purchases and/or thinking that their new model will stay the "latest and greatest" for as long as they have will probably be frustrated. And a few will no doubt post here something along "money grab" or that they are pissed about a new model so soon after they just spent their money on X.

S

syd430

Call me crazy but the Air doesn't need retina or any of the performance hits when it comes to displaying that high of a resolution on a portable machine.

The pixel density is already good :confused:

True, but colour gamut and contrast could be greatly improved. It's a bit average in this department at hte moment

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Count me in if there is an 11.6" rMBA. I recently switched from an 11.6" MBA to a 13.3" rMBP, and while I like the screen, I do miss the portability of the MBA.

Redesign? YES! Retina? NO THANKS!

Not that the current MBA is ugly, but it is starting to look a bit aging... plus I'm ready to hop to the MBA from my late 2007 whitebook and I would like to hop on at the very beginning of a design, not the tail end...

I don't need retina on it though... too much of a power/battery hog to be worth it. That should remain a major differentiating feature between the pro and the air.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Dang....I've wanted an Air for a while and was content with waiting until Haswell given the substantial increase in graphics power it will supposedly bring.....but now a redesign and possibly retina???

TAKE. MY. MONEY. :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If Apple is going to put a retina panel in a MacBook Air then they better have made significant leaps in battery and display tech. They cannot make the Air thicker for a bigger battery, they already have...it's a 13" rMBP... I don't know about this rumor. Little too good to be true.

Considering that Samsung has 13" notebooks that weigh 2.5 lbs, I think Apple could find a way to squeeze a bigger battery in there without increasing the weight significantly.

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Call me crazy but the Air doesn't need retina or any of the performance hits when it comes to displaying that high of a resolution on a portable machine.

The pixel density is already good :confused:

Pixel density is ok, but small font sizes look jagged, and the overall colour saturation/gamut is poor in comparison to most Mac displays, it really needs updating. I can see this happening, Apple always find a way eventually.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Meh. I never liked the Air as much as the Pro anyways. Specs aren't as good, Pro is sexier :cool:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Redesign? YES! Retina? NO THANKS!

Not that the current MBA is ugly, but it is starting to look a bit aging... plus I'm ready to hop to the MBA from my late 2007 whitebook and I would like to hop on at the very beginning of a design, not the tail end...

I don't need retina on it though... too much of a power/battery hog to be worth it. That should remain a major differentiating feature between the pro and the air.

Apple won't sacrifice battery life simply for retina.....it will likely keep the battery life it has now.....what product has gotten a retina screen and subsequently gotten worse battery life?

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Apple's old refresh model/timeline has been shattered.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. But those that have been adamant about timing their purchases and/or thinking that their new model will stay the "latest and greatest" for as long as they have will probably be frustrated. And a few will no doubt post here something along "money grab" or that they are pissed about a new model so soon after they just spent their money on X.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#MacBook_Air

You can't really make that case for the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.