Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I can't imagine Apple making more lineups for their Macs. It's already confusing enough for most people having to choose between a "classic unibody" MacBook Pro and the new MacBook Pro with the Retina display. What next after a split of the MacBook Air line? iMacs? :eek:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
To the naysayers who say the retina macbook air can't happen without a discrete GPU: lets not forget that the Haswell chip has processing comparable (somewhat) to a 650M card:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6600/...rformance-compared-to-nvidias-geforce-gt-650m

There's some nuances there, such as different SKUs of integrated GPU, but it's definitely all on the table.

That video comparison is on a very forgiving game FPS wise, the intel HD4000 plays it decently right now. Also the report doesnt report any actual data from the game just that "it looked like it ran the same".

Apple won't sacrifice battery life simply for retina.....it will likely keep the battery life it has now.....what product has gotten a retina screen and subsequently gotten worse battery life?

uhhh... the iPad 3 and 4 are thicker, heavier, take longer to charge (bigger battery), and has worse battery life than the iPad 2..... Apple cannot defy the laws of physics (no matter what their ads convince you).

Sure maybe Apple could create a rMBA that achieves the same battery life (due to improving battery tech and power reduction on haswell), but that only means they could keep the same screen and improve battery life by an hour or two. Plus the rMBP have some performace/graphical degradation because the processor has to work so hard to push that many pixels. Tradeoff isn't worth in IMO for an entry level, consumer device. Especially one that prides itself on being thin and light.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
The standard MBA 13" screen is fine and the Hi-Res 15" MBP screen (non-retina) does the job perfectly. The Retina display really is an answer to a question nobody is asking but Apple is pushing nevertheless.

Maybe other people have different requirements to you? I didn't know what to make of the Retina display until I saw how it rendered the photo and video thumbnails in iMovie and iPhoto ( and hopefully Aperture). Now I want a Retina Air ( An Air to complement my i7 MBP as I fly a lot)

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
So you would have to somehow make the keyboard smaller if you want to reduce the bezel size.

Not if you brought the keyboard right to the physical edge of the laptop. You'd have to figure out how to make the ports/keyboard travel all work on top of each other though.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
No way does the MacBook Air get retina this year. The performance would be laughable, unless they tripled the thickness and weight. It would be like the underpowered first generation Air all over again, when playing a youtube video caused the computer to overheat, video became choppy, and the machine wasn't good for anything more than internet surfing. No way would Apple release such a shameful product.....oh, wait.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
All thats great news, but how are they going to keep the battery life the same? Battery technology doesn't keep up with the leaps and bounds of the processors or displays.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Mmmmmm, Retina Air with touch-screen that attaches magnetically. Remove the screen and voila! - it becomes an iPad...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Haswell chart attached.

Two notable lines are 35W TDP processors.

Core i7 476ST, 2 Ghz, 4/8 cores/threads, etc.
Core i5 457OT, 2.9 Ghz, 2/4 cores/threads, etc.

Attachments

• haswell.jpg
    haswell.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 215

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I just hope they add more Thunderbolt ports. So I can plug in all my Thunderbolt accessories. The ones I use all the time.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Call me crazy but the Air doesn't need retina or any of the performance hits when it comes to displaying that high of a resolution on a portable machine.

The pixel density is already good :confused:
I agree, it'll be interesting to see unfold if this is true. Maybe they'll just make something like a +50% resolution bump rather than +100% as on the Retina MacBook Pro's as a compromise. They should get in the high-DPI ballpark even then. There is certain things that the MBA should not be (like heavier, thicker, more expensive, or shorter battery life), I agree about that.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Macbook air is the future. The larger models will eventually phase out. Nobody needs a larger and heavier computer these days. The Air can do everything you want.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
If the MBA gets Retina, why not just merge the MBP & MBA lines? If Apple doesn't merge them, it would be confusing to a lot of customers.

Plus, if they pixel doubled the screen like they did w/ the MBP, the 13" MBA would have a higher resolution than that of a MBP (2880 x 1600 on the MBP vs 2560-by-1600 on the MBP).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
uhhh... the iPad 3 and 4 are thicker, heavier, take longer to charge (bigger battery), and has worse battery life than the iPad 2..... Apple cannot defy the laws of physics (no matter what their ads convince you).

Sure maybe Apple could create a rMBA that achieves the same battery life (due to improving battery tech and power reduction on haswell), but that only means they could keep the same screen and improve battery life by an hour or two. Plus the rMBP have some performace/graphical degradation because the processor has to work so hard to push that many pixels. Tradeoff isn't worth in IMO for an entry level, consumer device. Especially one that prides itself on being thin and light.

Minimally thicker and heavier - sure they take longer to charge, but that wasn't what you said. You said you didn't want to sacrifice battery life.

Across the board for Apple products, the battery life either stays the same, or very slightly decreases when a retina display is added.....

Plus Apple isn't in the same place now as they were when they made the jump from the 2 to the 3. The next iPad is supposedly going to be lighter and thinner than even the 2.....

The rMBP gets the same battery life as the cMBP AND is lighter and thinner. AND was released more recently, giving you a better indication of what Apple is doing/can do with the battery tech they are using.

But relax, they've kept the cMBP around as a cheaper alternative, I'm sure they'll do the same for the MBA - at least to begin with. So you have nothing to worry about!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
We are headed to a point where the Air & Pro line's will be consolidated. The Air with Retina display would be one step closer to that.

Eventually you will just have the 11, 13, 15 inch MacBook with Retina Display.

I think this year it is more likely that we would see a 1080p IPS panel in the Air, at least the 13 inch model.

There is always going to be a "Pro" laptop and it will probably only be the 15" MBPR from here out after this year

You have a whole class of individuals that need a discreet GPU chip and expanded memory/super drive. Unavoidable.

But Haswell will be enough to bring the 13" MBAR and 13" MBPR and merge them into the same machine. They are almost identical right now.

So

11" MBAR
13" MBAR
15" MBAR (Maybe but doubtful)

15" MBPR

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Don't put retina in it, use a black bezel like the pros and use an IPS screen. That will be perfect for the airs.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If the MBA gets Retina, why not just merge the MBP & MBA lines? If Apple doesn't merge them, it would be confusing to a lot of customers.

Plus, if they pixel doubled the screen like they did w/ the MBP, the 13" MBA would have a higher resolution than that of a MBP (2880 x 1600 on the MBP vs 2560-by-1600 on the MBP).

Because there is still a difference in the performance - the MBA will still likely use the more watered down versions of the i5 and i7 AND come with less RAM standard.....

Hasn't that really always been the main difference between the two machines....power?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.