Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
This person wants to sell it to me brand new sealed, the fact that it doesn't have 16GB RAM makes me wondering if should take this deal or spend more cash on a 16 model since they're not upgradeable. What would you guys do?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
This person wants to sell it to me brand new sealed, the fact that it doesn't have 16GB RAM makes me wondering if should take this deal or spend more cash on a 16 model since they're not upgradeable. What would you guys do?

That's definitely not worth it to buy 3rd party (and used) for a price that high. You can buy a refurb rMBP 15" from Apple directly, for roughly around that price (I think something like $1,779 USD).

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
its brand new (Sealed)

Advantages of Apple refurbished:
You get the name on the receipt, meaning your name for Apple service, can buy AppleCare, fresh one year warranty and most times, Apple refurbished is a new product that was returned literally days after purchase and re sealed for you.
You can also buy the 16GB upgrade.

This "sealed" Retina, how do you know it's really sealed? I can replicate a shrink wrap in fifteen minutes. How do you know it's the real thing? Gonna open it? It's not sealed anymore. When was it purchased? Last week? Why wouldn't they return it since no restocking fee? Purchased passed the return date? Why keep it sealed?

I have a lot of curiosities when someone is offering me a sealed product at a loss they could easily recoup with a standard return.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Advantages of Apple refurbished:
You get the name on the receipt, meaning your name for Apple service, can buy AppleCare, fresh one year warranty and most times, Apple refurbished is a new product that was returned literally days after purchase and re sealed for you.
You can also buy the 16GB upgrade.

This "sealed" Retina, how do you know it's really sealed? I can replicate a shrink wrap in fifteen minutes. How do you know it's the real thing? Gonna open it? It's not sealed anymore. When was it purchased? Last week? Why wouldn't they return it since no restocking fee? Purchased passed the return date? Why keep it sealed?

I have a lot of curiosities when someone is offering me a sealed product at a loss they could easily recoup with a standard return.

No 16GB refurbished models :( its OK I'm just going to buy an iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.