Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Anyone try to use evasion to jb it ??

And if it does break the jailbreak? Then what? You have to live with the passcode workaround in which someone can break into your iPhone? You have live with compromised battery life and the Exchange bug? Is it really worth it?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.:confused:

This is why I only jailbreak for fun, and try to avoid DEPENDING on a jailbreak for anything.

Right now the nicest thing about my jailbroken iPad is being able to run Google Maps full screen using FullForce. That's literally the ONLY thing I'm doing with the jailbreak that I would miss heavily upon losing it. And maybe Google will release an ipad native version of Maps before then.

Oh, and an SNES emulator. But big whoop, I can play with those on my computer. It's not playable with a touchscreen anyway, so it's more of a "look how cool!" sort of thing.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
And if it does break the jailbreak? Then what? You have to live with the passcode workaround in which someone can break into your iPhone? You have live with compromised battery life and the Exchange bug? Is it really worth it?
Yes, it's worth it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I don't even trust jailbroken devices that much. That's why I'll jailbreak my iPad but never my iPhone.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
To all the people asking if evasi0n still works: even if the jailbreak exploit is still present in 6.1.2, evasi0n won't work yet because the team has not updated the software to let 6.1.2 work. evasi0n checks the firmware before jailbreaking.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't even trust jailbroken devices that much. That's why I'll jailbreak my iPad but never my iPhone.

I've been JB'ing since the first release, however I noticed with the recent JB my iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 2 and 4 were running terribly slow. This is only with the JB and nothing "third party" Cydia wise installed. I also removed "Netatalk" (a Cydia app I liked to use for AFP access) from my iPad's as a test and it still shows up in Finder on the WiFi network. I performed a clean restore of my iPhone's and noticed my battery life was improved immensely and the WiFi was no longer dismally slow.

I checked background processes when JB'en and nothing appeared to the naked eye, which leads me to suspect there is something else going on.

MediaMind

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
And still no solution for Wifi and bluetooth problem for iPhone 4S users!
Thank you Apple (sarcastic)!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.:confused:

I think you raise a valid point under your mistaken belief people jailbreak to "show off." I actually like some of the jailbreak tweaks and it's worth while. But, I am tired of the cat and mouse and I plan to switch to a Google Nexus phone. Why? iOS has become stale and I am tired of jailbreaking to enable functionality that better my smart phone experience. For example, having to jailbreak in order to share files between apps or to just set a default browser app is an embarrassment to a smart phone OS.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I just updated via iTunes. I had to download the over 800 MB file and it took nearly 10 minutes to install but it worked. The stupid OTA update could not install a 12 MB update which is useless. At least I am up to date now.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah, but ALSO..allows you to sync up google Contacts and Calendars.
The Gmail doesnt.

Hmm well except mail push, you may use Google Card Dav for contact and Cal Dav for calendar...

Works perfectly without exchange...

i use exchange only for push... :(

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Im running the iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 on my Iphone 4S. If i restore on itunes to iOS 6.1.2 do you think my iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 backup will work? i think so. Anyone think otherwise?

Just wondering

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Hmm well except mail push, you may use Google Card Dav for contact and Cal Dav for calendar...

Works perfectly without exchange...

i use exchange only for push... :(

I may be wrong but I have multiple calendars and this was the way to get them on the phone?

jthompson666

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
All you iPod Touch 5G users? Simply KEEP trying.. It took me 5 or 6 attempts over 2 hours (rebooting and general use between attempts) then it just worked. Good Luck ;)

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
Works great 6.1.2 on my iPhone 5 (NOT):

After updating and iTunes reporting that my iPhone is on 6.1.2 it (iTunes) tells me that a software update is available (6.1.2) and then updates to 6.1.2, already 3 times now.

The address of Apple: "1 Infinite Loop" gets a whole new dimension....

Please Mr Apple / Tim, can we go back to the situation of 2 years ago when all was working exactly as planned without "Microsoft-like" surprises....

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Evasi0n Not working

Is evasi0n working? Thanks.

As I mentioned before, I was forced to restore phone for upgrade to 6.1.2. I restored from backup.

Evasi0n and software not there, and Evasi0n does NOT work for me. I went to the website to get the latest version too.
evasi0nScreenSnapz001.jpg

On a positive note, my Other space is now a little less than 1 GB instead of 3.5GB.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
All you iPod Touch 5G users? Simply KEEP trying.. It took me 5 or 6 attempts over 2 hours (rebooting and general use between attempts) then it just worked. Good Luck ;)

Yeah. It's supposed to not work. It makes you appreciate the exclusivity of having a successful update! :D

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Sounds promising once Evasi0n has been updated.

Tweet from planetbeing..

"Not yet able to test all devices, but it's looking good for 6.1.2. iPad mini wi-fi and iPhone 5 are still jailbreakable."

BradH65

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Kingston, ON
Well that was fun and NOT!

Updated iPad 4th Gen with 0 issues, quick, simple and no messing with apps, passwords, accounts...

The iPhone 5-32 however was not so easy (and funnily, the iPad was almost out of room and the iPhone was less than 1/2 full). First time tried to update, error -1, reboot and reset iPhone, this time error 3014 (Both times, iPhone in recovery mode grrr...), turn off mac-mini mid-2011, unplug all USB cables except Lightening cable, start MacMini, turn off dropbox, turn off memory clean, turn off SnagIt, turn off Keycard, in iTunes, eject iPad 4th gen and then proceed with factory restore that actually worked this time and updated the software/firmware... but now I have to spend an hour syncing everything and making sure everything works as it was not to mention put everything back into folders that I had it organized the way I wanted it...

Alas, the upgrade took but was a PITA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.