Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello,
I got a new iPad 4th gen last Sunday, and yesterday I noticed this, It looks to big to be 2 stuck pixels, anyone have any idea? Also, what should I do about it? Pretty much, i'm asking if you think this is worth swapping?

Attachments

• DSC_0809 copy.jpg
    DSC_0809 copy.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC_0813 d.jpg
    DSC_0813 d.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Simple really. If you feel it's abnormal and affects your satisfaction with the iPad, swap it for a new one. You're still within 14 days.

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
The picture isn't that clear, but if you really have any doubts of it, just take it to your local Genius Bar and they should replace it for you for free. Also, what version of iOS did your iPad come on because I just ordered one a few days ago too?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
You positive it's not a mark on top of the screen?

If you think its a stuck pixel some have had success playing the following youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oj9U-Ux6QHY

I'm not sure how often it works, but comments seem to give a 50:50 impression.

Be aware! Fast flashing colours - Don't watch if your dyslexic
I've never seen this actually work before, but I might try it, I'm sure its not a mark on the top of the screen, as I cannot see it unless the area it is in is black.

The picture isn't that clear, but if you really have any doubts of it, just take it to your local Genius Bar and they should replace it for you for free. Also, what version of iOS did your iPad come on because I just ordered one a few days ago too?

Are you sure you are seeing it right? this picture looks pretty clear to me, also, my iPad came with 6.1

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I had the same on my first Ipad mini. It was almost like a tiny hole in the top layer of the panel rather than stuck pixels. The retailer I bought from replaced with a brand new one but I had to wait two months for them to get stock. MUCH better screen on the new one. My first bright white uniform idevice.

Edit: Mine didn't really bother me but it's sort of thing I'd feel obliged to declare when selling on.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
That and you have some pretty decent light bleed.

My camera enhances that really bad, the blue spot bothers me more
Probably caused by whatever's trapped under the screen. :)
I don't think anything is trapped, i think this is more of a screen defect

I had the same on my first Ipad mini. It was almost like a tiny hole in the top layer of the panel rather than stuck pixels. The retailer I bought from replaced with a brand new one but I had to wait two months for them to get stock. MUCH better screen on the new one. My first bright white uniform idevice.

Edit: Mine didn't really bother me but it's sort of thing I'd feel obliged to declare when selling on.

I looked, I don't see any "holes"

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I had a 2008 Macbook Pro (last one before the unibody) and I had two spots on my screen like this. I brought it to the Apple store and the person at the genius bar thought it was a pixel issue and told me they needed to send it in to get looked at. I got a call from Apple saying that it wasn't being caused by dead pixels, but pressure damage to the LCD. They said because it was caused by damage, AppleCare wouldn't cover it (I was right near the end of my 3 years). I told them I couldn't afford to pay the $1200 or so they quoted me for a new LCD and to just send it back since it was still in perfect condition otherwise. Then they replaced the LCD at no charge as a one-time "courtesy" for being a loyal customer!

Anyway what I am getting at is since your iPad is new, it could have been damaged before somewhere along the line before you purchased it. I would definitely take it in!

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I had a 2008 Macbook Pro (last one before the unibody) and I had two spots on my screen like this. I brought it to the Apple store and the person at the genius bar thought it was a pixel issue and told me they needed to send it in to get looked at. I got a call from Apple saying that it wasn't being caused by dead pixels, but pressure damage to the LCD. They said because it was caused by damage, AppleCare wouldn't cover it (I was right near the end of my 3 years). I told them I couldn't afford to pay the $1200 or so they quoted me for a new LCD and to just send it back since it was still in perfect condition otherwise. Then they replaced the LCD at no charge as a one-time "courtesy" for being a loyal customer!

Anyway what I am getting at is since your iPad is new, it could have been damaged before somewhere along the line before you purchased it. I would definitely take it in!
Thanks for your help, I wasn't sure if this was a stuck pixel or not, but your explanation makes sense, I'll be calling before the 14 days are up to arrange a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.