Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.
Java is a runtime environment with access to the host system they say. One with many flaws say. And one that can be embedded by any sketchy website they say.

Disable the Java browser plugin (Applications->Utilities->Java Preferences->Untick Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications) and move on?

Last edited:

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.

Security Professional Here.

Technically this is a Java vulnerability not some new OS X 0-day like you constantly see with Windows. Java has always been insecure--that's not Apple's fault.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
In the 90s it was the Japanese we were terrified of (to this day Japan owns roughly as much US debt as China, both around 7%).

In hindsight the Japanese are much more benevolent rivals than the Chinese. Weird how democracy works that way.

The '80s was Japan's big moment. At that time many people were convinced that Japan had figured it all out, but by the early '90s the Japanese economy was falling into a recession from which they never really recovered. I don't see where benevolence has much to do with it. As for the Chinese, it isn't totally clear what they are stealing, or why. Trying to gain control over power grids and oil pipelines may require hacking into corporate systems, but obviously this isn't entirely about industrial espionage, or maybe not at all.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
The '80s was Japan's big moment. At that time many people were convinced that Japan had figured it all out, but by the early '90s the Japanese economy was falling into a recession from which they never really recovered. I don't see where benevolence has much to do with it. As for the Chinese, it isn't totally clear what they are stealing, or why. Trying to gain control over power grids and oil pipelines may require hacking into corporate systems, but obviously this isn't entirely about industrial espionage, or maybe not at all.

1+ billion Chinese citizens.

It's probably a small group of hackers having fun.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Macs were never unhackable. Just hackers didn't care to hack it since its marketshare was way too low.

Last edited by a moderator:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
What gets me is this...

If you have read anything about the NSA(Read "Body of Secrets", forget the author, a great read)... Its supposedly the most massive aggregation of data storage and computing power in the planet. They can read every e-mail, phone conversation and credit card purchase you make (around the WORLD) and actually they supposedly installed a new system that checks purchase patterns even with cash and then the system alerts the concerned people. All transatlantic internet/voice cables exit the sea shore and into AT&T offices where NSA siphons off all the traffic in parallel for analysis. And so on and on....

Then there is this immense brain power. NSA employs the largest number of mathematicians in the world.

With all this power, why can't NSA thwart these hackers? Do they think its child's play and beneath them? If they do, then its about time they got in the game and gave the Chinese hackers a taste of sweet and sour,IP packets.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

yeah, I remember reading Michael Crichton's 'Rising Sun' about 20 years ago and how it laid out how America would regret selling so much debt and it's corporate soul to Japan as they would use that leverage and corporate espionage to own America one day.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Can we just separate China from the rest of the internet?

They do nothing except hack others. My company has already banned all Chinese ips since all they do is try to hack our systems all day.

Let them have their great firewall.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Nobody (well, nobody rational) says unhackable. Just that the likelihood was much, much, much lower than Windows machines. It would be like me saying "my neighborhood has been so safe for years that I feel comfortable leaving my doors unlocked all the time". I didn't say my house can't be broken into, just that it has never happened and therefore I don't worry about it.

However, inevitably, once the first few break-ins start, people will start to take more precautions. It's only sensible.

Easy fix - turn off Java in your browser. I did that months ago, and at least in my case there's been absolutely no impact - Java's just not used that many places on the web.

Me too, and it hasn't affected me at all. There are pockets of people who will get very upset at you for suggesting this is the solution though, since apparently Java is needed for some people to access their work environments or banking clients.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I think this is the second company (Saw a news piece yesterday, can't recall the other company) that said they got it by visiting a developer site. Crazy stuff.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Silly all around. The real news here is not Apple related, it's foreign relations related. If the Chinese government is endorsing any cyber hacking on any US company, it should be seen as a threat and policies should be tightened. Plenty of other countries to go to for production.

Ahhh..but, if it was all this easy... hard to bite the hand that feeds you.

Maybe it's not too hard.
One could argue that china "bites." ;)

BvW

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
China is a dictatorship and policestate sparing no expense to monitor and censor its citizens. What is the likely hood that the government does not know the names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts of these "rogue hackers"?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
China is a dictatorship and policestate sparing no expense to monitor and censor its citizens. What is the likely hood that the government does not know the names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts of these "rogue hackers"?

And what's the difference between China and the US again?

"Monitor" its citizens? "Names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts" of anyone? US "Patriot" Act anyone?

This thread is soon going to the Political area, I am sure... ;)

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
What does hacking US companies have to do with Liberating Chinese People?
Maybe they should ask Apple or Apple's advertising agency for some re-design or re-branding? I doubt Apple will help them with that now. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.