Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Looking for a new hard drive for storage (1000s of video files). Will also use it to convert some of the files with handbrake on a daily basis.

Would I go for a WD Black or is a green sufficient? Should I look into another brand or maybe a WD Red?

Thanks!

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I'm currently getting the best times I've ever seen from a consumer grade drive in the Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3-platter models (ST3000DM001). When two are in a RAID0 array they compete with fast SSD units... Only with enough space to actually be useful... ;)

Screenshot_1_21_13_1_52_PM.png

2-Drive RAID0
One should be about half this.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
What are you most concerned about?

Budget, warranty, longevity or performance?

Figure that out and you will probably be able to answer your own question.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
4TB blacks are nice you need the space..

3TB Seagate Barracuda's are great for a bit less storage.

I think at this point it's more pick your poison and go

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
What are you most concerned about?

Budget, warranty, longevity or performance?

Figure that out and you will probably be able to answer your own question.

Probably more longevity than anything else. That's why I'm leaning towards WD Green or Red. I'm not sure about Seagate since all hdd I've had issues with in the past have been Seagate's.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Probably more longevity than anything else. That's why I'm leaning towards WD Green or Red. I'm not sure about Seagate since all hdd I've had issues with in the past have been Seagate's.

If its longevity your after then I would suggest either WD Black or WD Red, Green's are ok, but more for budget minded individuals.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Isnt' the WD RED series 'NAS' oriented?

Yes, but I've read some people have said you don't have to use it in NAS configurations... that's just how they're marketed.

At this point, I'm considering purchasing 2 WD Greens and using them in a Raid 1 config. If do that, can I keep one of the drives in the Mac Pro and the other in my safe? If I update files on the drive in my mac, will the other drive (kept in safe) update to match the drive in my mac if I plug it in from time to time?

Or am I better off using CCC? I have about 1.5TB of files.

Thanks!

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I recently grabbed a couple of Seagate 4TB USB3 externals at Costo for a low price. I gutted them b/c they had Barracuda XT's inside and the 3 year warranty on the bare drive is valid.

YMMV of course..

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Yes, but I've read some people have said you don't have to use it in NAS configurations... that's just how they're marketed.

At this point, I'm considering purchasing 2 WD Greens and using them in a Raid 1 config. If do that, can I keep one of the drives in the Mac Pro and the other in my safe? If I update files on the drive in my mac, will the other drive (kept in safe) update to match the drive in my mac if I plug it in from time to time?

Thanks!

CCC or SuperDuper is what you need! Not only a full backup but with both proggies you're able to make BOOTABLE CLONES (FW400-800) , which saved my bacon several times!

My config is backup partitions with CCC and backup all backed-up partitions to a BACKUP-ONLINE! The only way to be safe in case of fire, earthquakes, burglers, mother-in-laws, husbands and wifes!!!! ;-)

A RAID IS NEVER A BACKUP!!!!

RAID0 = Speed
RAID1 = Redaundancy
RAID5 = Hotswaps etc

Backup local and OFSITE is your way to safety!

Good luck!

Cheers

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013

Thanks!

It sounds like safety is a priority. Raid 1 is OK but it can slow things down. Just make one drive a clone of the other and set a schedule with CCC or SD to do it nightly.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I'm currently getting the best times I've ever seen from a consumer grade drive in the Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3-platter models (ST3000DM001). When two are in a RAID0 array they compete with fast SSD units... Only with enough space to actually be useful... ;)

2-Drive RAID0
One should be about half this.

Nice. The new single TB platters get 200+ read/ write for probably 400+ in 2 disk RAID0 stripe. So those are my fastest ever seen. But they are Seagate so they'll probably blow up on you.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
It sounds like safety is a priority. Raid 1 is OK but it can slow things down. Just make one drive a clone of the other and set a schedule with CCC or SD to do it nightly.

Thanks for the input everyone. Will order two WD Greens, keep one in the mac pro and use CCC to clone the other once a week or so.

Anyone have any suggestion for a dock or external casing for the second hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.