Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

java_logo_new-150x275.jpg
Apple has released updated versions of Java for OS X, following a prominent hacking of Apple employees' Macs, plus the remote blocking of the Java plugin due to security vulnerabilities.

This is the standard quarterly update of Java 6 that Apple distributes, while customers looking for Java 7 should download straight from Oracle.

The update includes the malware removal tool mentioned earlier that will "remove the most common variants of malware". If malware is found, the user is notified -- otherwise, no notification is made.
About Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 13

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 13 delivers improved security, reliability, and compatibility by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_41.

On systems that have not already installed Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 9 or later, this update will configure web browsers to not automatically run Java applets. Java applets may be re-enabled by clicking the region labeled "Inactive plug-in" on a web page. If no applets have been run for an extended period of time, the Java web plug-in will deactivate.

Please quit any web browsers and Java applications before installing this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5651 for more details about this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for information about the security content of this update.
There are two download packages available through Apple's software download site, one for OS X Snow Leopard and the other for OS X Lion or Mountain Lion. They may also be downloaded through Software Update or the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java Updates for OS X, Including Malware Removal Tool

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
They also updated iTunes to 11.0.2. This makes me wonder if the iTunes update patches one of the holes that evasi0n uses to jailbreak.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I don't get it if I am running 10.8, and already have the latest version of Java from Oracle do I need this? Why is it showing up in Software Update?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
They also updated iTunes to 11.0.2. This makes me wonder if the iTunes update patches one of the holes that evasi0n uses to jailbreak.

That... is interesting.

If so, it may be worth not upgrading iTunes until you've jailbroken your iDevice on the latest iOS, then update. It would be interesting to hear what the evad3rs have to say..

Perhaps a thread spin-off?

BL.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I don't get it if I already have the latest version of Java from Oracle do I need this? Why is it showing up in Software Update?

Type "java -version" in Terminal. Although Java is now shipped by Oracle, Apple may support updates for security purpose.

Except if you have Java 7, I doubt you'll have the latest version of Java 6 already.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Wow, I just noticed (last week?) that my Snow Leopard machine had the update to 6_39 (the big recent Java patch), so this is definitely something new.

Nice to see Apple keeping the 6 updates coming so those machines that can't go on to Lion can still have updated VM's.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I'm surprised Apple is still offering Java updates for Snow Leopard. Usually their policy is supporting the most recent 2 OS versions only and Leopard didn't get Java updates this long once Lion was released. Works out for me anyways since one of my older Macs still runs Snow Leopard. Too bad they don't offer full security updates to address other parts of the OS.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Type "java -version" in Terminal. Although Java is now shipped by Oracle, Apple may support updates for security purpose.

Except if you have Java 7, I doubt you'll have the latest version of Java 6 already.

I know I have Java 7 I downloaded it from Oracle

Terminal says:

java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't get it if I am running 10.8, and already have the latest version of Java from Oracle do I need this? Why is it showing up in Software Update?

Having multiple versions is confusing and maybe Oracle's version sits on top of Apple's. Unrelated to today's update, I did a fresh install of 10.8.2 on a new machine yesterday and tried to run a Java app, and it went to Software Update and automatically pulled down Apple's Java 6. Once that was installed, I tried to run the app again and it sent me to Oracle's site to download Java 7. I had previously thought that 6 and 7 were separate so I'm not sure why I had to download 6 in order to run an app in 7.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I know I have Java 7 I downloaded it from Oracle

Terminal says:

java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

Well, you have Java 6, which isn't updated, and probably installed Java 7 without activating it as the default JVM. So, as you have still Java 6, the Software Update is offering you the actual update. Plus, you must note that all Java applications will run under Java 6 if you don't change the settings.

VanZan

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
Well, you have Java 6, which isn't updated, and probably installed Java 7 without activating it as the default JVM. So, as you have still Java 6, the Software Update is offering you the actual update. Plus, you must note that all Java applications will run under Java 6 if you don't change the settings.
I may have exactly the same problem and get the exact same response in Terminal as todd2000. So I tried this link: http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/08/how-to-disable-java/

How come I can't find 'Java Preferences' in the Utilities folder? Typing it in Spotlight won't help either.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I'm not sure if I'm behind the times but Oracle released a Java update on Windows that uninstalls all versions of Java 6 on Windows.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Same here, I have the 1.6.0_37, I have downloaded the one from the oracle website and run again the terminal app to check which version and still says as the above. What am I not getting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.