Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wreckthisplace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Hey all,

I had 4x4GB of RAM in my computer totalling 16GB. I had to send back two 4GB RAM sticks (one was bad) to Corsair. I now have 2x4GB in my computer totalling 8GB of RAM.

I received the package with my new RAM in it today and for some reason Corsair sent me back one 16GB stick. I'm now not sure what to do. Is it ok to use 2x4GB and 1x16GB of RAM (totalling 24GB) or will that cause performance issues? Or is it best to just bite the bullet and go buy 2x4GB of RAM so in the end I will have 4x4GB of RAM bringing me back to where I started, but unfortunately costing me money.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
You could ask Corsair to exchange that 1x16 for 2x8 and see if they are amenable. Have you unpackaged it yet? Was there any explanation of why they sent it to you?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Send it back and get the correct DIMMs.

Whilst you CAN install RAM in odd numbers of chips, you will get half the memory bandwidth, and I doubt your pro is certified for 16 GB dimms anyway. It may/may not work, but if it does performance will be less than it should be.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I received the package with my new RAM in it today and for some reason Corsair sent me back one 16GB stick.
As already mentioned, the current 16GB memory modules on the market are all registered DIMMs (at least in the US) and I am not even aware that Corsair makes them since it is mainly selling non-ECC and unbuffered desktop/laptop memory. You cannot mix registered with unbuffered memory if your current memory is unbuffered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.