Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tacticus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hi, I am looking to sell my MacBook Pro and need to restore it to factory settings, does anybody know how I do this ? I don't have any installation disks (it didn't come with any).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Reboot and hold Cmd-Opt-R at the chime to get into Internet Recovery. You will then be able to launch Disk Utility and wipe the hard drive, then reinstall OS X. This process may take more than an hour.

Tacticus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Great thanks, the reinstall OS X step ..... I don't have discs so would that be from the hard drive ?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Great thanks, the reinstall OS X step ..... I don't have discs so would that be from the hard drive ?

I would recommend downloading and creating a bootable OS X Lion/ML thumb drive. Much faster than internet recovery unless you have super blazing internet.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
If your computer originally started on Lion, but you manually upgraded to Mountain Lion, what does Internet Restore install?

Also, while we're at it...how would you secure erase a SSD on OS X?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If your computer originally started on Lion, but you manually upgraded to Mountain Lion, what does Internet Restore install?

Internet Recovery (Cmd-Opt-R) uses the computer's serial number to download the version that it came with. This is not the same as the Recovery System (Cmd-R) which reinstalls the same version as is currently present.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Internet Recovery (Cmd-Opt-R) uses the computer's serial number to download the version that it came with. This is not the same as the Recovery System (Cmd-R) which reinstalls the same version as is currently present.

Thank you!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I had the exact same question here (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1543870/), but no answers there.

So I'm happy about finding this thread :)

Has anyone an idea about the SSD question? (see quote below).

That is correct... you don't want to secure erase an SSD. If you want to make sure your data is safe before you sell, just turn on Filevault2 encryption on the drive and wait for it to finish encrypting. Then follow the step in this thread to get to Internet Recovery and erase Macintosh HD, then reinstall the OS.

When you erase the HD, it will erase the encrypted Filevault2 volume. So even if someone used tools to recover what you erased, it would still be encrypted.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why does secure erase harm the SSD and why would Apple still provide a secure empty trash feature on SSD-based Macs?

The theory is that a secure erase by overwriting with zeros like DU does needlessly adds wear cycles to the drive. If you look at DU on a SSD Mac, you will see the secure erase option is greyed out.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
That is correct... you don't want to secure erase an SSD. If you want to make sure your data is safe before you sell, just turn on Filevault2 encryption on the drive and wait for it to finish encrypting. Then follow the step in this thread to get to Internet Recovery and erase Macintosh HD, then reinstall the OS.

When you erase the HD, it will erase the encrypted Filevault2 volume. So even if someone used tools to recover what you erased, it would still be encrypted.

Thanks! I'll try that.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
The theory is that a secure erase by overwriting with zeros like DU does needlessly adds wear cycles to the drive. If you look at DU on a SSD Mac, you will see the secure erase option is greyed out.

Secure erase is greyed out in Disk Utility, but you still have the option to "Secure Empty Trash" when emptying your trash bin. Isn't this in fact doing the same thing on a smaller scale?

And, if secure erase is the way to go for a HDD, how do you prevent recovery of data on an SSD if secure erase is not an option?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Secure erase is greyed out in Disk Utility, but you still have the option to "Secure Empty Trash" when emptying your trash bin. Isn't this in fact doing the same thing on a smaller scale?

And, if secure erase is the way to go for a HDD, how do you prevent recovery of data on an SSD if secure erase is not an option?

Yes, it would seem so. A secure empty trash does overwrite the area with random data, so in theory this adds one more "write cycle" to that area of the disk.

To prevent data recovery with an SSD you can either encrypt then delete like I described in post post above, or you can boot from Linux and run the ATA secure erase command which does not add a write cycle.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, it would seem so. A secure empty trash does overwrite the area with random data, so in theory this adds one more "write cycle" to that area of the disk.

To prevent data recovery with an SSD you can either encrypt then delete like I described in post post above, or you can boot from Linux and run the ATA secure erase command which does not add a write cycle.

Thanks. So if you only plan to have the SSD-equipped Mac for say 3 years and only do a secure empty trash occasionally, I'm guessing write cycles shouldn't be too big of a deal?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. So if you only plan to have the SSD-equipped Mac for say 3 years and only do a secure empty trash occasionally, I'm guessing write cycles shouldn't be too big of a deal?

I would not worry about it. There is some good info in this article on the topic.

This is from the article. Even with the newer TLC NAND, at 10GB writes a day you are looking at over 11 years. So even if secure empty trash cut that back somewhat, the computer will likely be dead and gone before the SSD starts to die.

screenshot20130220at115.png

jonmanheim

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
Details?

Reboot and hold Cmd-Opt-R at the chime to get into Internet Recovery. You will then be able to launch Disk Utility and wipe the hard drive, then reinstall OS X. This process may take more than an hour.

Can you give a little more detail on this process? I restarted with Cmd-option-R and got into a screen that says Mac OS X Utilities. I choose the Disk Utility option and Disk Utility opens. I have options to Erase or Restore my hard drive. But I don't see where it tells me there is an Internet Recovery option.
Thanks

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Can you give a little more detail on this process? I restarted with Cmd-option-R and got into a screen that says Mac OS X Utilities. I choose the Disk Utility option and Disk Utility opens. I have options to Erase or Restore my hard drive. But I don't see where it tells me there is an Internet Recovery option.
Thanks

You want to select the "install a new copy of OS X" option when the recovery program loads, not Disk Utility.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes. If its a newer machine it will boot over the Internet provided you put it on a network. Be patient because it is not fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.