Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
i want an option to store the music on my internal drive and tv shows on an external one. i work as a dj and i always must have my music with me, tv shows and movies however don't fit on my internal HDD. at the moment it's not possible to set a different location for music and other media. :(

i like that itunes organizes my files but please let me put the movie/tv show location to another one that my internal disk...

Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and you can leave your tv shows and movies wherever you want.

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and you can leave your tv shows and movies wherever you want.

but i wanna use that feature. i'd always have to tick/untick that. i just want a setting that it puts my movies and tv shows to another location than my music.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

that doesnt fix the annoying manually re-consolidating of each and every external stored file does it?

its quite annoying to click info on every file once i had the external hdd unplugged to get the cover arts back of the external files

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Freedom is Slavery

I'm guessing Apple wishes people would just use one Apple ID.

:)

I would love to have just one Apple ID. Unfortunately I have two - AppleCare had me create a second one and switch to it for an issue I had back in 2009.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
but i wanna use that feature. i'd always have to tick/untick that. i just want a setting that it puts my movies and tv shows to another location than my music.

Then leave it checked but hold down option when adding TV or Movies to your library, and it won't copy them to the library.

----------

that doesnt fix the annoying manually re-consolidating of each and every external stored file does it?

its quite annoying to click info on every file once i had the external hdd unplugged to get the cover arts back of the external files

Sorry, I don't know. My iTunes library is on one USB external, with "keep iTunes organised" and "copy files…" checked. When I unmount the external it creates the new location in users/home/music. When I reconnect the external it immediately finds it. I would just have to consolidate to copy the files across the USB drive.

----------

Is this update not available in the UK yet or something? When I "check for updates" via iTunes, nothing is found.

Edit: nevermind, had to do it through software update (I'm on Lion.)

It has just shown up as an update through iTunes for me.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I wonder if this will fix the app syncing bug. When I delete a app from itunes I expect it to delete on all of my devices like it used to work..

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A few things:

1. Where's this Composer view? I don't see it.

2. This update seems to have fixed the resizing problem in Windows, where maximizing the window would cause it to extend beyond the screen. That's a relief, as that was becoming a bit of an annoyance.

3. I'm still disappointed that Apple removed the button that brings you to what's currently playing on the list. Prior to iTunes 11, one click would scroll the list to where you currently are. Now, there's an extra step involved, where you have to click the arrow beside the song title, and then click the option in the list. It's less convenient.

4. I'm still not a fan of how album art is displayed. I usually use the 'Songs' view, so it's disappointing seeing the album art relegated to a tiny little square at the top of the screen.

iTunes 11 is clearly an improvement over iTunes 10 in many ways (speed, performance, creating playlists, cleaner interface etc...) but it also removed some functionality that I really liked.

Tell Apple then.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Does it allow you to store media on an external drive and prevent iTunes from creating a local media folder every time you accidentally open iTunes when the external drive isn't mounted?

It works for me. My iTunes library is on an internal drive. I have set iTunes to 'Keep iTunes Media folder organised' but I have unchecked the option to 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library'.

When I rip a CD or buy anything from iTunes, it gets placed into the media folder inside the iTunes library. But when I import stuff from other sources, they get imported in place. I can thus place movies on an external disk or even a NAS and import them from there into my library (which doesn't copy them).

When I now try to play something that is on a disconnected disk, I get the exclamation mark. But if I re-connect the external disk (or mount the volume from the NAS), I can just start playing the items in question from within iTunes without having to point iTunes at the location.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Would love to know why itunes remains the only app that doesn't minimize by double clicking the top menu bar. It's infuriating, every other 3rd party app I have does it.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Yes!

They have added back the ability to scroll through an audio stream, strangely missing from iTunes 11.0

Now... bring back the volume control on the mini player and make the green button minimize it again! please:D

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

My music comes either from CDs or the iTunes Store, neither of these is affected by this setting (ie, you can have it unchecked and it is still stored inside the media folder). I thus can leave it unchecked permanently and thus import movies always in place.

But even if you have to change that setting semi-regularly, it won't be something daily, maybe once a week on average.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It works for me. My iTunes library is on an internal drive. I have set iTunes to 'Keep iTunes Media folder organised' but I have unchecked the option to 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library'.

When I rip a CD or buy anything from iTunes, it gets placed into the media folder inside the iTunes library. But when I import stuff from other sources, they get imported in place. I can thus place movies on an external disk or even a NAS and import them from there into my library (which doesn't copy them).

When I now try to play something that is on a disconnected disk, I get the exclamation mark. But if I re-connect the external disk (or mount the volume from the NAS), I can just start playing the items in question from within iTunes without having to point iTunes at the location.

i wish that would work for me :-/ it never finds the cover art / files again in my case unless i click on it.
some are found, some arent. it does it quite randomly. the next time im gonna plug it in again its gonna find other files ^^

24xp85h.png

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

I never manually re-consolidate anything but then I only very rarely browse by cover art. But as I just tested it for a movie, the cover art remained in iTunes even after unmounting the drive the movie was stored on, even through an iTunes re-start.

----------

i wish that would work for me :-/ it never finds the cover art / files again in my case unless i click on it.
some are found, some arent. it does it quite randomly. the next time im gonna plug it in again its gonna find other files ^^

24xp85h.png

For songs it might depend on whether the cover art is stored in the song file or in the iTunes library. That changed at some point if I remember it correctly, it might be that for older content it is still stored in the file and not in the library database.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I never manually re-consolidate anything but then I only very rarely browse by cover art. But as I just tested it for a movie, the cover art remained in iTunes even after unmounting the drive the movie was stored on, even through an iTunes re-start.

----------

For songs it might depend on whether the cover art is stored in the song file or in the iTunes library. That changed at some point if I remember it correctly, it might be that for older content it is still stored in the file and not in the library database.

those cover arts (in the picture) are stored within the files. ive been googling it for years and everyone seemed to have this issue with movies & tv shows being stored external, so i kinda just lived with it. thats why i'm so surprised that many people dont seem to have this issue on this thread

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I wonder if this will fix the app syncing bug. When I delete a app from itunes I expect it to delete on all of my devices like it used to work..

Yes, I hate that! Also, if you update an app on the iPad or iPhone, it won't copy the update back to iTunes during a sync.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
those cover arts (in the picture) are stored within the files. ive been googling it for years and everyone seemed to have this issue with movies & tv shows being stored external, so i kinda just lived with it. thats why i'm so surprised that many people dont seem to have this issue on this thread

This link confirms my recollection that iTunes by default stores the album art no longer in the actual music files but in a folder inside the iTunes library. I would have thought that applies regardless of where the music files are stored.

This link claims it depends on how you added the album art in the first place.

For most people, the problem is the other way around, ie, the artwork is in the library but not in the music files which makes them less portable. You managed to get into the opposite situation.

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
For number 3: Cmd-L should take you to the track that is currently playing.

I'm on a PC, so I just tried CTRL-L, and that works. Cool, that should come in handy, but it's still not quite as convenient as the old method.

Go to Preferences>General and check that under 'Views' Show Composers is checked.

Ah, thanks. I don't think the 'Composer' fields in my library are organized well enough for the feature to really be of use to me, but it's nice to know that it's there.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
i want an option to store the music on my internal drive and tv shows on an external one. i work as a dj and i always must have my music with me, tv shows and movies however don't fit on my internal HDD. at the moment it's not possible to set a different location for music and other media. :(

i like that itunes organizes my files but please let me put the movie/tv show location to another one that my internal disk...

I'm pretty sure you can work around this manually using symbolic links.

1) Close itunes
2) Delete the Movies and TV Shows folders in Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Media
3) Make Movies and TV Shows folders on your external drive and put your items in it
4) Open the application Terminal
5) Use the ln command to create links to your external drive

Usage:
ln -s path-to-actual-folder(folder you made on external drive) name-of-link(itunes media folder)

Example:
ln -s /Volumes/HD2/Movies ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Movies
ln -s /Volumes/HD2/TV\ Shows ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/TV\ Shows

I think that should allow iTunes to organize your stuff on an external along with the other stuff you keep on your internal drive. Not sure what side effects disconnecting your external would have though.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
i wish apple would get rid of the idiotic 90 days limit on iTunes Match. i downloaded a song with my main ID on my iphone and i had to restore it so i redownloaded the song on my computer and now i cant sign in with my other id anymore because iTunes match cant be started for 90 days wtf. now i have to wait 90 days before i can get back 4000! of my songs just because i wanted to redownload ONE song i legally purchased with my other id :mad:

the one time i actually buy a song on iTunes :rolleyes: lesson learned

Create a 2nd user account, download it there and then home share copy it to your main library.

----------

I'm guessing Apple wishes people would just use one Apple ID.

:)

Not possible when Apple didn't plan ahead with ID creation pre-iTunes. More so for people using more than 1 country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.