Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMF

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Lisbon
the 5-inch iPhone A.K.A. The iBrick

We want things to go thin and flexible. This is way to big to fit on the pocket, even if the side of the iPhone 4 was used to make the folding more easily.

Bring us the AMOLED or OLED screens that you can fold and place on pocket without break it. That for me will be a technology break-through ;)

djpuma

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Apple needs to make the phone wider, not just taller.

I know this is a mockup, a bad one at that, but, I really think Apple should make a wider phone already.
It's been too many years with the same small ass width of these iphones.
I'm still on my iphone 4s cause the iphone 5 is just taller.

If Apple does make a bigger iphone, I'm sure people will talk **** cause Apple said that the current size is all one needs and can easily fit in your hand.

Dijkertje

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
Naaldwijk
We are currently seeing 1920x1080 resolution on 4,7" ~ 5,0" displays on the competition.

The iPhone 5 has 1136x640, why don't they go to 1704x960 for a 5" iteration?
It'd be the same jump as the competition (720 + 360 = 1080, therefore 1.5x).

At least I'd be opted for a 5 inch iPhone. I wouldn't be for a 5 inch iPhone if the resolution stays the same, because why else go bigger in the screen size?

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Things people do just to pass the msg unto others and apple :rolleyes:

Come on dont you think apple had looked at all the sizes before making up their mind on a 4" inch.

im sure there is a 5 inch on Ive self laughing right now - " they didnt even get the design right":p

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So is it wider too and not just taller?

I'm seriously considering selling my iPhone 5 to get the Galaxy Note 2 or the Galaxy S 4. Think it's going to be announced next month.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Except that 468ppi is pointless. If to my eye the screen looks perfect and I don't see any pixels, why do I care? I would prefer that stick with logical PPI and give me an awesome screen then try and be the everyone else.

It's the spec race all over, I would much rather have a lower Megapixel camera that takes good pics then a high Megapixel camera that takes alright pics.
Calculation:
angular resolution of Retina: 1' = 1/60° (sometimes better).
Viewing Distance (minimal): ~ 6 inch

1/((1/60)°*(pi/180°)*6 inch) = 573 px/inch

So yes, this would be the actual limit. Everything up to approximately 600 ppi is somehow reasonable (granted, I'd say somewhere around 400-500 ppi it gets a bit ridiculous due to antialiasing, which lowers the effective angular resolution a bit), but yes, I'd love to see a higher resolution display. When I'm reading small texts I certainly see the pixels. They are not bothering me much, but still. I always thought Apple was about these kind of things.

isopepper

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
If you're thinking about switching on your next refresh because the UI and text are too small for you to use comfortably on your retina iPhone, vote this up.

How about no.

How about you cats with fighter pilot eyes and toothpick size fingers think about people whose bodies aren't like yours?

Apple has been my weapon of choice since 1985, longer than some of you "no, just no" folks have been alive. So, what? Well, I'm getting to the point where even with glasses, I can't see the tiny type on my retina 4s. Further, it would be great to have larger targets to manipulate.

1. Take your iPhone 5.
2. Hold it a few inches closer to your face.
3. Boom, bigger screen!

That you still can't see, if you've got presbyopia - a common affliction.
pinch to zoom? three finger accessibility salute? - scroll each line to read
reader? - great if the 'made for mobile' page allows it
font size in control panel? - doesn't affect apps

All solved to a large degree with a scaled up iPhone, cf. the popularity of Nintendo's DSI/3DS XL consoles. Same horrid res, just bigger - and wildly popular with young (and old!). Just think, if you debased the wonderful res of the retina iPhone slightly in the name of accessibility, how popular would that be ...? and it still wouldn't be HORRIBLE res.

NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR RETINA IPHONE. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A ONE FINGER RETINA PHONE. STOP STOMPING THE ALTERNATIVE!

2/10 don't bother.

The UI isn't redone, it's just made bigger. that's not what Apple needs to do! They need to rework the UI so it works better on the bigger screen instead of just stretching (pinch-to-zooming IRL if you will) the UI elements.

For people with No PIN or PIN = 1111 the lock screen is fine. For people who have to use 'turn off simple passphrase' and answer comms in the middle of the night, the portrait lockscreen is a forced UI choice that stinks.

That's one example where a better UI would be great, but this is fixed somewhat by just making the pixels bigger.

iPhone5+ or HTC for my 4s successor? Apple, you decide.

Pardon the slightly caustic post - trying to get the attention of the "no, just no" types. I don't hate you!

Last edited:

tomsamson

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
While it was fun to do the papercraft (so yeah, i actually printed it out =) ),
the form factor makes no sense at all.
The widescreen aspect ratio for the screen in the iPhone 5 was a really bad choice by Apple (as can be seen by contender devices being both taller AND wider in screen selling great) and the only halfway proper argument for only gain in height and no gain in width was in being able to say: "but, but.. you can still use it with one thumb!!"

So, now, when making the overall size larger, so that one can't use it anymore with one thumb/hand in some situations, it would make ZERO sense to stick with the stupid widescreen aspect ratio. It would then make way more sense to go with the aspect ratio of the previous iPhones for the screen, so that one then gets a proper gain in width, too, not mostly in height.

Besides that, i'm all for a larger screen, cause yeah, most people should be able to use a phone with two hands in between (which one does for many apps like many games anyway) and besides that even when using it with one hand one doesn't have to constantly reach the opposite furthest away edge with the thumb all the time.
Also the larger screen smartphones only feel weird when first seeing them, after using them for a while they feel great and the iPhone screen feels tiny.

The only big downside would be if it comes with lowering the ppi and especially bummer: If Apple still doesn't properly upgrade iOS after all those years, it has to be updated to make proper use of the more in available screen real estate and besides that, yeah, iOS just overall feels super boring by now. Good still, yes, but yeah, not really fresh by any means.

AppleBill

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
iphone 6

iPhone 6.

Same display.

No dead space.

Compact design.

Winner.

Attachments

• front6.jpg
    front6.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 99

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
How hard is it to re-write an App for a bigger screen? Not being snarky, just don't know how big an issue that would be.
If you have access to an iPhone 5, just check how many of the apps installed (by the respective user) still have the black bars at the top and the bottom. On my iPhone, among the first (those on the first three screens) 45 non-Apple apps, eight still have the black bars. And a month ago that number was still at 10.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
I just printed it out and put it together and it's NOT WORKING?! What the heck is this? The phone function isn't working. The Music app isn't launching and it won't connect to Wi-Fi. I'm calling Apple right now and complaining. Bunch of idiotz

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I just printed it out and put it together and it's NOT WORKING?! What the heck is this? The phone function isn't working. The Music app isn't launching and it won't connect to Wi-Fi. I'm calling Apple right now and complaining. Bunch of idiotz

The scotch tape could block the screen from sensing touch inputs. Take out any excess.
If that's not it, take it to the Apple store. Have them take it apart and reassemble it themselves, because you're folding it wrong.

hamidb83

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
The iPhone 5 has 1136x640, why don't they go to 1704x960 for a 5" iteration?
It'd be the same jump as the competition (720 + 360 = 1080, therefore 1.5x).
I was thinking the same. It is not going to be hard for them to change the resolution. They can easily change the resolution to 1704x960.
It is by tripling the nonretina (logical) resolution of iPhone 5. : 568x320
It will affect developers the same way iphone4 did. They just need to update the artwork.

But the problem is on a 5 inch phone for example, it will not enhance the user experience by utilizing the bigger screen. It will just make things bigger.
Maybe they let developers choose between two logical resolutions of 568x320 with pixel tripling or 852x640 with pixel doubling.

Just my thoughts on how it can be done. But overall i dont know if a 5 inch phone is a good idea anyway. You can just hold your phone closer to your face and its bigger. Lol

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Apple needs to make the phone wider, not just taller.

I know this is a mockup, a bad one at that, but, I really think Apple should make a wider phone already.
It's been too many years with the same small ass width of these iphones.
I'm still on my iphone 4s cause the iphone 5 is just taller.

If Apple does make a bigger iphone, I'm sure people will talk **** cause Apple said that the current size is all one needs and can easily fit in your hand.

Agree If they just stretch it out again like with iPhone 5 it would look silly.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Maybe Apple's clever strategy here is to make the iPhone 5 taller, then make the iPhone 6 wider and back to the aspect ratio of pre-iPhone 5. It could be their phased way of changing the resolution without causing too much upset for developers.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I'll be very disappointed if this replaces the smaller, more sensibly sized model. If they give us a choice, fine. Keeping the same number of pixels and lowering the pixel density slightly seems like the most sensible way to handle it… although it won't appeal to the spec whores, who want to be able to say they have the biggest AND the best.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
And how often does your TV move from that stand? That logic doesn't apply to phones. Some people want a huge screen; others prefer a phone with a smaller screen size. IMO, 5 inches is a ridiculously large screen, and the mock-up only supports this.

This mockup is based on the same exact phone design as the iPhone 5. There's no way they'll need top and bottom bezels that large with all the extra space behind the screen itself.

Eventually, Apple will go away from a big round button at the bottom of their phones. It's cumbersome, outdated, and hinders their ability to slim the bezels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.