Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Same here, I have the 1.6.0_37, I have downloaded the one from the oracle website and run again the terminal app to check which version and still says as the above. What am I not getting?

That Terminal command shows the version of the Java JRE you have, which is not the same thing as the web plugin. The web plugin is what was updated by Apple today.

http://javatester.org/version.html

Turn on Java in your browser and visit this page. It will show what Java plugin version your browser is running.

----------

Just got a popup notice that Oracle has released an update to Java 7 bringing it up to v15.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
There have been so many java updates as of recent- I'm at a loss of what is current and what is suspect.

In addition, I have to support my family both in house and abroad. It's becoming a fiasco. One needs it for banking, 2 for gaming etc etc.

What a pain in the ass.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Followed the instructions and I still can't get the plugin to run on some websites.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Well, you have Java 6, which isn't updated, and probably installed Java 7 without activating it as the default JVM. So, as you have still Java 6, the Software Update is offering you the actual update. Plus, you must note that all Java applications will run under Java 6 if you don't change the settings.

My JRE is set to 1.70_15 in Java Control Panel, but according to cnet Oracles Control panel can't access Apples Runtime anyway.

That Terminal command shows the version of the Java JRE you have, which is not the same thing as the web plugin. The web plugin is what was updated by Apple today.

http://javatester.org/version.html

Turn on Java in your browser and visit this page. It will show what Java plugin version your browser is running.

That site says 1.7.0.15

So it seems that I'm using Oracles version of 7 for internet plug-ins and 6 for the system? Which I guess makes sense since this page http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...anage-the-java-6-and-java-7-runtimes-in-os-x/ says "The installation of Java 7 does not remove the Java 6 runtime from OS X, but simply replaces Apple's Java Internet plug-in link with its plug-in package."

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
This is all very confusing. I've had a preference pane in preferences, for Java, and I've been updating Java through the app that the pane launches.

Though today that seems to be broken, so I went to Applications, searched for JavaSomethingOrOther.plugin, and blew it away. The preference pane is now gone, so I'm no longer getting the error. LOL.

I'm lost. Do we get Java from Oracle or Apple?

Bah, I don't even need it really. Maybe I should just get rid of it altogether.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I am just glad my GoPro has an alternative firmware update to java. I don't need Java at all now :)

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
I know I have Java 7 I downloaded it from Oracle

Terminal says:

java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

How do you get that you have "Java 7" from all that? It looks like 1.6!! Arrrgh. Lost. Confused.

mike105

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
When I check my java version via terminal command, I get: "No Java runtime present, requesting install."

I have Java 7 from Oracle ... so I'm all good, and don't have to worry about this update right?

Also, I am running 10.8.2

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone know how to manually run the malware removal "tool" they are talking about?

I don't trust that it's ran automatically - I ran the update, but I want to be absolutely certain that I don't have malware

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I haven't got this update yet.... Software Update still reports "No updates available"

But i don't use Java anyway.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
People still use Java?

Better scan your floppy drives after the update too then. :D

It's still the most popular programming language in the world and the leading industry standard. And even Apple run their entire server backends on it. (No, they do not use Objective-C there. Just like they run Solaris and not OS X on their own server farms.) So yes, I think people still use Java. :rolleyes:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Does anyone know how to manually run the malware removal "tool" they are talking about?

I don't trust that it's ran automatically - I ran the update, but I want to be absolutely certain that I don't have malware

It's designed to be run automatically via launchd.

It you insist on running it manually, you can open Terminal (in Utilities), paste in the following and press return. You'll need to authenticate.

Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/MRT

I've included the output that I received below.

Code:
2013-02-20 05:52:36.665 MRT[818:707] Error opening path for pattern match: Too many levels of symbolic links
2013-02-20 05:52:37.624 MRT[818:707] Error opening path for pattern match: Too many levels of symbolic links
2013-02-20 05:52:38.117 MRT[818:707] MRT finished scan. Malware files were not found.
2013-02-20 05:52:38.123 MRT[818:707] Error: SMJobRemove: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kSMErrorDomainLaunchd error 6 - The specified job could not be found.)

I assume that the final error occurs because the executable is being invoked directly but is designed to be invoked by launchd (and to clean up after itself, so to speak). Not sure which paths contained too many levels of symlinks, but I assume that these messages are also inconsequential.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'm surprised Apple is still offering Java updates for Snow Leopard. Usually their policy is supporting the most recent 2 OS versions only and Leopard didn't get Java updates this long once Lion was released. Works out for me anyways since one of my older Macs still runs Snow Leopard. Too bad they don't offer full security updates to address other parts of the OS.

With the faster release cycles I believe we're going to see continued support..

It's still the most popular programming language in the world and the leading industry standard. And even Apple run their entire server backends on it. (No, they do not use Objective-C there. Just like they run Solaris and not OS X on their own server farms.) So yes, I think people still use Java. :rolleyes:

See but it's outside the Apple world so it has no value or is legacy. If jesus errr Tim Cook says it's ok it'll be the best thing ever

mdewakanton

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Type "java -version" in Terminal.

After installing java update 13 on 10.6.8 I got an odd message:

Last login: Wed Feb 20 12:58:15 on ttys000
MacBookPro:~ mdewakanton$ java version
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: version
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: version
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.