Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
This is a noble cause...

That I will support wholeheartedly.

There aren't nearly enough distros that work well on PowerPC. Compared with x86, where there are kabillions upon kabillions. Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora for sure, but they are not exactly lightweight. Sure, you can apply any window manager you want to Debian but this is quite beyond average or casual OS X users. For truly lightweight there is only Lubuntu and MintPPC. As far a as MintPPC, development seems to have stalled on it, and its also not exactly user friendly to the uninitiated. If you don't believe me, head on over to the forums and see the headaches caused by noveau driver issues, x.org config files, networking, weird video, etc.

Plus, Crunchbang is Debian based, so should work on this, if it ever materializes:

http://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2012/11/servergy-announces-new-powerpc.html

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
No, it isn't. Intel Cores and Xeons are up to date and have a large user base. PowerPCs are outdated, power consuming, and have a small user base.

No a POWER series cpu is not outdated there was one released last year. The power 8 will come out this or next year?

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
yawn...

Naysayers.. can't live with them! Please if you can't accept that there are many of us still around then please don't post here. We have enough anti-PowerPC going around to handle.

If you want to debate about Intel versus PowerPC and even ARM, this is not the place.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
As I just told you, POWER and PowerPC are not the same thing!
Well, to play devil's advocate, IBM did unify the POWER and PowerPC ISAs not long after Apple went to x86, and the resulting merged Power ISA is much more PowerPC than POWER. IIRC it was POWER6 that went forward with the new unified architecture, and it had a lot more in common with our older desktop Macs than with POWER5 under the hood.

That said, as amazing as POWER7 has been and I'm sure POWER8 will be, considering Big Blue no longer does any desktop versions whatsoever outside of speculative R&D, I don't see how this applies to us. Those are big iron server chips that cost as much as an entire computer. Entry level machines sporting POWER7s are on the wrong side of $10,000.

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
But they are similar! Intel xeon and intel core i7 are not he same but they are still x86 just like powerpc is isa 2.06

And men and women are both the same because they are both humans and not chips. Porsche and Hyundai are both the same because they're not bicycles.

Geeez I miss Zen

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Naysayers.. can't live with them! Please if you can't accept that there are many of us still around then please don't post here. We have enough anti-PowerPC going around to handle.

If you want to debate about Intel versus PowerPC and even ARM, this is not the place.

I was thinking the same thing!

G5-Sir Mac Alot

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ridgefield, WA USA
Personally I would love to try a Linux distribution that would be more PowerMac friendly. Ive tried alot of them and every now and then use my Lubuntu partition, but have been frustrated with the bugs and hiccups that they all seem to have.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Not being a Linux buff under PowerPC, your choices are the following:

MintPPC via Debian
Yellow Dog Linux 6.7 I think.. Personally, I don't like Linux on my PPC macs, but if I have to go that route, I would choose FreeBSD which is similar to the underlying kernel of Mac OS X, Darwin.

Personally I would love to try a Linux distribution that would be more PowerMac friendly. Ive tried alot of them and every now and then use my Lubuntu partition, but have been frustrated with the bugs and hiccups that they all seem to have.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Many more choices...

A quick trip to distrowatch will bring up:

MintPPC
CRUXPPC
Fedora PPC
Ubuntu PPC
Lubuntu PPC
Gentoo PPC
OpenSUSE PPC
Finnix if you super luv command line.

None are super easy to install, configure, and most (Ubuntu) are dog slow on older PowerPC macs. None are very mac like (though Lubuntu can be quite nice). Most have major issues with things like powermanagment, media playback, and portables (ibook, Powerbook) are a total pain the ass. This is why, if Crunchbang can be successfully ported and maintained that would be.....AWESOME news.

And, there is no PPC equivalent to Puppy Linux, or ConnochaetOS, ie, versions that are specifically DESIGNED for older hardware. Zen (there would have been much swinging of the maple leafed sword and blood shed on this post) is beginning work on porting Puppy to PPC, but it may be awhile with his new job.

G5-Sir Mac Alot

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ridgefield, WA USA
Yep, Ive tried all of those. Id say Mint and Lubuntu were probably the best of the bunch. BSD sounds like its got a ton of quirks as well (as far as for use with G5's). But Im more than willing to try this one. Any idea when you miht have it ready to test?

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
And what is your opinion on FreeBSD? I would think BSD flavors of UNIX would be similar in design and use compared to Darwin.

A quick trip to distrowatch will bring up:

MintPPC
CRUXPPC
Fedora PPC
Ubuntu PPC
Lubuntu PPC
Gentoo PPC
OpenSUSE PPC
Finnix if you super luv command line.

None are super easy to install, configure, and most (Ubuntu) are dog slow on older PowerPC macs. None are very mac like (though Lubuntu can be quite nice). Most have major issues with things like powermanagment, media playback, and portables (ibook, Powerbook) are a total pain the ass. This is why, if Crunchbang can be successfully ported and maintained that would be.....AWESOME news.

And, there is no PPC equivalent to Puppy Linux, or ConnochaetOS, ie, versions that are specifically DESIGNED for older hardware. Zen (there would have been much swinging of the maple leafed sword and blood shed on this post) is beginning work on porting Puppy to PPC, but it may be awhile with his new job.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
What about Chromium OS? It's an open-sourced version of Chrome OS. Chrome OS can run on ARM well but it can run on traditional PCs well too. And it being open-source we could configure it to be more desktop friendly than netbook friendly and be based more on your machine than on the web. It's supposed to be lightweight enough aswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.