Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Done? You have to reinstall all your Cydia apps, don't you? I mean, they don't magically reappear.

Of course I have to reinstall them. They aren't supposed to 'magically' reappear, because the means to get them has disappeared!

I haven't done much to my phone, and frankly, don't need to at this time. My only concerns are OpenSSH/OpenSSL, and MyWi.

After that, I'm good; YMMV.

BL.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
iPhone 5S is coming soon, you sure you want a 1/2 year old 5?

Oh, and you know this how?

Just curious, you think we'll still need RespringCacheFix from Ryan Petrich's repo? I know I'm early on this topic, but I'm about to backup my data, upgrade to 6.1.2, then jailbreak. Just wondering what the general consensus was around here. Is everyone gonna install that tweak or are they gonna wait?

Edit: OP, not sure you have the ability to do this or not, but maybe you should change the title of the thread to better accurately describe the situation. Just a thought. No biggie.

I can't edit the title :(

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
Having just restored my device after a bad tweak a couple of days ago, I don't want to go through all of it again. Shall just let it rest for a week or two before doing it. :D

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
iPhone 5S is coming soon, you sure you want a 1/2 year old 5?

I'm fine with it. I figure if I'm always waiting I'll never get anything. The 4 and the 4S were so similar (for what I use a phone for: no gaming, etc.), that I figure I would have been happy with either one.

The 6 is what I'd want probably, and I'm sure if I got the 5S in September or October or whenever it comes out, I'd be pissed when the 6 came out 6 months after that!

I figure this way I'll just resell and pony up the extra $200 or whatever if I REALLY want a new iPhone. I'm shocked at how well they hold up their value! Just sold my Galaxy Nexus for a measly $175, and that was with throwing in an extra battery and charger. :p

Oh, and back on topic:

Edit: Never mind. I see a little bit of reading goes a long way, lol

Last edited:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
If you are already jailbroken then you cannot simply update. You have to restore to the latest OS and jailbreak again.

When you say "restore to the latest OS," I'm not sure what you mean. The screen shot below shows, in the upper box, two choices: Update and Restore Phone.

Are you saying that Restore Phone automatically restores the phone to the way it was when you got it from Apple except with the very latest version of IOS?

If that is the case, would not the next step after Restore Phone to be to go to the bottom box in the screen shot and select Restore Backup?

Then, I presume, you could jailbreak the phone again with the latest Evisi0n, and then either reinstall your jailbreak apps or restore your apps via PKGbackup?

Attachments

• iphone backup-restore.jpg
    iphone backup-restore.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 58

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
When you say "restore to the latest OS," I'm not sure what you mean. The screen shot below shows, in the upper box, two choices: Update and Restore Phone.

Are you saying that Restore Phone automatically restores the phone to the way it was when you got it from Apple except with the very latest version of IOS?

If that is the case, would not the next step after Restore Phone to be to go to the bottom box in the screen shot and select Restore Backup?

Then, I presume, you could jailbreak the phone again with the latest Evisi0n, and then either reinstall your jailbreak apps or restore your apps via PKGbackup?

Using your screenshots, here are the steps:
1. Connect your phone to iTunes.
2. Click "Back Up Now"
3. When #2 is done, click "Restore iPhone..."
4. When #3 is done, click "Restore from backup..."
5. When #4 is done, run evasi0n and jailbreak

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm on 6.1.1 on my iPhone 5 and I'm considering updating to 6.1.2 just for the sake of being up to date. I don't think I will because I can't be bothered to setup everything and I don't think I'm affected by the exchange bug and that seems to be the only thing they changed according to this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1639

Edit: I mean 6.1.

Last edited:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I'm on 6.1.1 on my iPhone 5 and I'm considering updating to 6.1.2 just for the sake of being up to date. I don't think I will because I can't be bothered to setup everything and I don't think I'm affected by the exchange bug and that seems to be the only thing they changed according to this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1639

I'm going to wait a week and see if there are "adjustments" made to the JB. Some folks are having problems with the IOS update and the JB, and I am sure if I went ahead now, I'd be among them. :D

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I disbelieve this statement.

Sorry I meant 6.1.

I'm going to wait a week and see if there are "adjustments" made to the JB. Some folks are having problems with the IOS update and the JB, and I am sure if I went ahead now, I'd be among them. :D

Yeah I guess it's always best to wait for more people to be guinea pigs :p Are you having any issues with Exchange anyway?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
No problems with Exchange that I've noticed, and no excessive battery usage, either.

Yeah same here. If I have some free time I'll update just so that I can get a clean start now that I'm settled down and not installing/testing any new apps/tweaks.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Woot! Easy upgrade due to PkgBackup.

No more Exchange drain and a bonus: 3GB of Other gone! And this having done a Restore, not setup as New phone.

golo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
hi there, i have read all 3 pages but still confused. i have ip5 and running 6.1 i dont use exchange and probably dont have the bug on screen lock. now, i want to update to 6.1.2 if i do this i assume i will loose all of the packages i have already installed correct? if i loose all packages what happens with the following intelliscreenx, auxo, ifile, killbackground,mywi 6,sbsettings do i need to install them again? if i use open backup prior to upgrading my ios to 6.1.2, will the previos be saved?

I am new to this scene.

Any help and or comments will be appreciated.

thanks

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
hi there, i have read all 3 pages but still confused. i have ip5 and running 6.1 i dont use exchange and probably dont have the bug on screen lock. now, i want to update to 6.1.2 if i do this i assume i will loose all of the packages i have already installed correct? if i loose all packages what happens with the following intelliscreenx, auxo, ifile, killbackground,mywi 6,sbsettings do i need to install them again? if i use open backup prior to upgrading my ios to 6.1.2, will the previos be saved?

I am new to this scene.

Any help and or comments will be appreciated.

thanks

You can back up your Cydia apps with PkgBackup (in cydia of course)

Here is a tutorial for you. I am going to do the same tonight and upgrade to 6.1.2.... might as well have the latest update as long as its jailbreak friendly :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.