Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Wondering if the iTunes Match cover art issue is fixed yet.

Also if the ability to search via home share for large libraries is fixed as well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Create a 2nd user account, download it there and then home share copy it to your main library.

----------

Not possible when Apple didn't plan ahead with ID creation pre-iTunes. More so for people using more than 1 country.

that doesnt work unfortunately. apple is being darn smart and still knows that its the same machine and gives me the same bs message. i even tried a "time jump" with time machine. they must have locked it deep within the machine or something.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
No great problems over here

;) For the lack of Coverflow alone, I've avoided iTunes 11 like the plague. Some obviously do not care about that, but with version 10.7 I've had little trouble with an external library—so perhaps another reason to avoid version 11 for now.

Music is stored locally on the internal drive, but space limitations have long since dictated most video moved to an external hard drive. In this instance a Time Capsule not otherwise used for Time Machine backups, although I cannot see why that would make a difference one way or another.

But can report that the files and their associated cover art are invariably accessible when the external drive is mounted (with cover art always viewable in iTunes, external mounted or not). And I have to pay no particular attention to it, turning off the computer, un-mounting, remounting and so forth in no particular order. Any movie or TV program only has to be located once, when first moved from the internal drive to the external. It will then display the exclamation mark (!), and simply a matter of pointing to its new location—but again, only once the first time.

Sometimes—seemingly at random and for no accountable reason—the associated artwork for a movie or TV program will vanish but then unaccountably reappear. No idea why, although playing the file in question seems to bring it back, or it will just reappear later on its own. But this minor in the grander scheme of things.

Perhaps that was the default setting, do not recall, but in iTunes preferences, under Advanced, both "Keep iTunes Media folder organized," and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are checked, selected, and active.

IF one has any different experience, and iTunes 11 responsible, then Apple owes you a big apology. And you can thank them for the inconvenience by taking the trouble to revert back to iTunes 10.

Reports have it many love the new version of iTunes. Fine. To each their own. Nothing wrong, either, with having the experience work all the more swiftly and efficiently. Although I've never had much trouble in that regard with version 10. Indeed, never much cause for complaint. I doubt I could say the same with version 11—at least and until Apple decides to "fix" what they should not so abruptly have messed with.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Anyone else feel that the scrolling speed in album view is sloooow?

Yes! Until I scroll all the way through all 4600 albums and let the artwork load then its fine. It is annoying that I have to do this now every time I restart iTunes to get the scrolling to run smoother.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Does it allow you to store media on an external drive and prevent iTunes from creating a local media folder every time you accidentally open iTunes when the external drive isn't mounted?

Nice. If they haven't addressed this, you should submit this to iTunes feedback. I plan to do the same.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Does it allow you to store media on an external drive and prevent iTunes from creating a local media folder every time you accidentally open iTunes when the external drive isn't mounted?

This is what I really want. Having an iTunes library hosted on an AFP server works, but Apple makes it kinda annoying. I don't care at all about these other things they add, though they are more good than bad.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Also, does it fix the bug where Firewall keeps asking permission for iTunes? My mid-2012 MacBook Pro has been bugging me with this since day 1...

Edit: IT DOES! THANKS, APPLE!

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This is what I really want. Having an iTunes library hosted on an AFP server works, but Apple makes it kinda annoying. I don't care at all about these other things they add, though they are more good than bad.

We should all submit this request to Apple - automatic consolidation for external libraries when you mount your external. They could even integrate it as an automatic feature in the next Time Capsule..would be awesome.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
And it bugged up my podcast unplay count, now I have like 1900 when I had like 500 previously.

Great, just lost like 90% of the podcast because of the stupid update.

Wow, the podcasts are really, really broken in 11.0.2. All available, but undownloaded podcasts show as available and unplayed, making it very difficult to determine which podcasts are really there.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
We should all submit this request to Apple - automatic consolidation for external libraries when you mount your external. They could even integrate it as an automatic feature in the next Time Capsule..would be awesome.

Speaking of that, iTunes has no Time Machine support like the kind iPhoto has. In fact, even 3rd-party apps should be able to hook into Time Machine. For example, Photoshop could give you older versions of a particular document right inside the app.

bobsax

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
A few things:

iTunes 11 is clearly an improvement over iTunes 10 in many ways (speed, performance, creating playlists, cleaner interface etc...) but it also removed some functionality that I really liked.

Wow!
I couldn't disagree more!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone else feel that the scrolling speed in album view is sloooow?

Can't say I've really noticed a difference. The default artwork has changed though:

artwork.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.