Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I need to take some clips of a movie I bought in iTunes. This is to illustrate an analysis of the movie so the clips would ammount to 'fair use' under the copyright act.

My computer is currently being repaired and I'm using my iPod touch otherwise it would not be a problem to do this from my computer.

So is there any way that I can get this movie on my touch into some other ios app where I can take a clip from it and then export it it out, to you tube for example.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Probably not, as it is copy protected via DRM. You have to get that clip elsewhere (maybe it is already on YouTube), like a DVD or Blu Ray rip for example.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Yep, this is one of the classic reasons piracy exists, and will continue to.

The DRM iTunes (and other stores) use for video downloads effectively means you can't do anything with it of your own chosing under legal "fair use" requirements stipulated by law.

Help (NOT for piracy people – only for fair use situtions!):
• download uTorrent, open it and leave it open.
• type "the pirate bay mirror", find the film, click on Get This Torrent/Magnet link (ignore any Annonymous Downloads rubbish pop-ups telling you you're about to be sued by everybody, just click the Get This Torrent!).
• open that file in uTorrent. The film file(s) should eventually download.
• delete the crap "nfo" type files that come with most torrent downloads, and edit the segments in chosen app as needed.

...Then continue with your educational advancement, to hopefully get yourself future employment, to help grow the economy, unhindered by such ******** short-termist DRM nonsense, as set by some of the very companies that may want to employ you in the future. That's ironies for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.