Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Tizen might be novel, but where it will lack in is:

- Ecosystem
- App Store
- Name Brand

In terms of name brand, sure Samsung makes hardware, but Google, Apple, and Microsoft have long been software giants. Just look at how tough of a time Windows Phones are having, they suffer from the first two. Samsung needs Google as much as Google needs them b/c smartphone tech has matured.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
wow man you are so far out there,first of all google bought moto(that's was basically bankrupt)for its patents to fight against apple.That is the only reason it bought moto and Samsung started tizen because of apple suing everyone that remotely used anything from google.

You do know that moto invented the cell phone right and hold over 14,000 us patents on its technology?google also cant patent things in android as its open source but moto did patent a bunch of things from the beginning .you see moto and any other companys can patent things in there own themed versions of android and google got so lucky that moto patented pretty much everything pure android put out.without moto google would stand no chance in any court system and now not even apple will go after them since they can just say you are using a **** load of our patents now.

now on to the moto google x cell that is coming out,this is google being smart and trying to get some money out of the moto buy out as that company actually made googles stock drop as its sales have been in the red for the past 2 years.

Now with Samsung getting its ass kicked in court and not knowing where it would end up with android they decided to start a side project to have as a lets say back up.

The last nexus that is pure android was on a Samsung phone and to this day there has still not been a nexus device made by moto.

tezen is not even close to what android is now but its something to fall back on if Samsung cant use android without going to court over icons and the shape of there phones.

Ill end this rant one more time that google bought Motorola for there patents,not there hardware or phones,heck google has enough money to build a brand new cell company from the ground up and call it iGoogle for all they care,but they cant get access to 17,000 patents on mobile tech that way.

sending an email on a cell is one of there patents and they have a crap load of them now waiting for apple to try and start with them.

Wow. Lots of inaccuracies in this post. But Google buying Motorola for patents isn't one of them. Google did buy Motorola for that purpose, but then they restructured the company by firing dead weight and cutting excessive programs. Look at Googles stock price today. I'd say they were successful. I think the decision to branch out to hardware was dependent upon Motorola proving it could still function and pull its own weight.

But please don't believe the garbage about Samsung getting its butt kicked in court. The only loss of significance was from a US kangaroo court, with a jury scooped out of Apple's backyard. That said, I think Apple's plan backfired. Samsung has become more prominent and have sold more phones since Apple started suing them. And Judge John as denied Apples request for more monetary damages and bans on Samsung phones. And it is looking more and more like Apple will never see that $1 billion either.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Wow, that looks......BEAUTIFUL!
And I'm a huge Touchwiz fan. Could this be an indication of how Touchwiz 6 may look like? I'd be more than happy if it was. But my head says most likely not since the whole point of Tizen is to offer something different from it's Android devices. Samsung can really hit this out of the park. And from the Tizen demo on the GS3, I have to say this OS is SMOOOOOTH as well as RESPONSIVE. More so than the current Android version. If you see the video of the demo, you can see the movement of the finger is followed almost immediately with the movement of the screen. Extremely responsive. And as the OP says, that's one helluva browser score. :D

this is exactly what i was trying to say in comparison with iOS touch movement and the screen following your finger precisely compared to Android. iOS just feels more responsive and follows your finger better, glad Samsung can make a OS to really take advantage of their hardware

----------

Bada was never meant for high end devices. That's where Android came in. But when Google bought Motorola, that changed things. Any OEM with half a brain would have been concerned. Hence Samsung's move to developing Tizen. Nobody knows how Tizen will do, but one thing's for sure, Samsung is moving forward with SOMETHING rather than sitting on their laurels. That's more than I can say for a company that barely upgrades their hardware and keeps an OS looking the same since 2007. Keep the hatin'. ;)

who cares if the OS looks the same, the functionality has been improved 100x fold... do people complain about Windows looking the same for over 15 years? a cool looking OS doesnt make it a good OS... and Samsung is moving forward with someone else's product (Google and Android)... why doesnt Samsung go make their own OS?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Tizen might be novel, but where it will lack in is:

- Ecosystem
- App Store
- Name Brand

In terms of name brand, sure Samsung makes hardware, but Google, Apple, and Microsoft have long been software giants. Just look at how tough of a time Windows Phones are having, they suffer from the first two. Samsung needs Google as much as Google needs them b/c smartphone tech has matured.

Um, Samsung already has an app store and they have been using Kies for a while now. Once Tizen becomes known it is linked to Samsung, i dont think there will be a problem with the name brand.

Right now Tizen isnt anything but a concept and one at this moment, i myself dont care about. Maybe later on i will if it becomes something that is good.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
yeah its not like they are reinventing the wheel or something like that

lol exactly. This wreaks of been there, done that. Unless they plan to bring something game-changing or meaningfully differentiating, this isn't the least bit intriguing.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
That's purely speculation.

More speculation.

Google has a patent pending right now for the notification panel, so that statement isn't accurate.

Do you really think this is something they didn't think of until now? You don't think that possibility was considered prior to them purchasing Motorola?

Yet more speculation. I'd guess that it had more to do with Google buying Motorola than anything Apple did.

You state this as if it is fact, when in actuality it is nothing more than speculation and conjecture. The fact is, you have no idea what the reasons were for Google purchasing Motorola.

----------

Exactly! He acts as if Google just looked up one day after the purchase and realized that they could use Motorola to build their own phone...and that they had no idea they could do that before.

are you seriously saying that google buying a failing company for there patents is speculating?You do know googles head lawyers were right by samsungs side the whole time and the second apple won google sued apple(it was later droped after google and apple talked behind doors)using those very patents they got from motorala forcing apple to hold up selling the iphone 5 and any new imac right?

google it up and start reading.

Ohh wait Ill do it for you,here is a press realese right off google.com about the moto buyout.

Benefits of the deal

•Motorola Mobility’s patent portfolio will help protect the Android ecosystem. Android, which is open-source software, is vital to competition in the mobile device space, ensuring hardware manufacturers, mobile phone carriers, applications developers and consumers all have choice.

http://www.google.com/press/motorola/

speculate that

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
are you seriously saying that google buying a failing company for there patents is speculating?You do know googles head lawyers were right by samsungs side the whole time and the second apple won google sued apple(it was later droped after google and apple talked behind doors)using those very patents they got from motorala forcing apple to hold up selling the iphone 5 and any new imac right?

google it up and start reading.

Ohh wait Ill do it for you,here is a press realese right off google.com about the moto buyout.

Benefits of the deal
•Google and Motorola Mobility together will accelerate innovation and choice in mobile computing. Consumers will get better phones at lower prices.
•Motorola Mobility’s patent portfolio will help protect the Android ecosystem. Android, which is open-source software, is vital to competition in the mobile device space, ensuring hardware manufacturers, mobile phone carriers, applications developers and consumers all have choice.

http://www.google.com/press/motorola/

speculate that
...you forgot to include this...

Why Motorola Mobility?

Motorola Mobility’s full commitment to the Android operating system means there is a natural fit between our companies.
Motorola Mobility was a founding member of the Open Handset Alliance in 2007.
Motorola Mobility in 2008 made a big bet on Android as the sole operating system for all its smartphone devices.
Google is great at software; Motorola Mobility is great at devices. The combination of the two makes sense and will enable faster innovation.

You were saying? :D

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
...you forgot to include this...

Why Motorola Mobility?

Motorola Mobility’s full commitment to the Android operating system means there is a natural fit between our companies.
Motorola Mobility was a founding member of the Open Handset Alliance in 2007.
Motorola Mobility in 2008 made a big bet on Android as the sole operating system for all its smartphone devices.
Google is great at software; Motorola Mobility is great at devices. The combination of the two makes sense and will enable faster innovation.

You were saying? :D

you do know google sued apple with there patents legit like a week after they bought moto right.

unreal man just unreal,motorola is a failing android maker and they only make phones for 1 carrier and that's Verizon.Google bought them for there patents and everyone but you I guess knew that.

to this very day there still has not been a nexus made by Motorola,you do know what a nexus is right?
how naïve are you?did you want google to just put out a press release saying they just bought them for there patents lol

the android nexus team(you know the developers that make android)have never to this day worked with Motorola to make a device.

If they cared about the moto hardware they would of made a pure android nexus phone using Motorola .

now back on to tizen,what did you want Samsung to do when they are facing apple in court that could of lead them to pull all there phones off the market for stupid dress patents apple was fighting them for.They started tizen as a plan b if they had to leave android.

lets blow 14 billion dollars on a company that is going bankrupt and is in the negative cash flow to work together with them to make a nice phone...lmfao man thanks I needed this late night chuckle and the funny part is Motorola makes locked down cdma phones for Verizon so google cant even sell them as they are not gsm based phones.

even better yet buy a company that only makes phones for Verizon that is locked down and not using gsm open unlocked bands and pick a company that is 100% against using a nexus phone on there locked down systems.The new nexus 4 will not work on verizons network and that is googles nexus phone.

Last edited:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
you do know google sued apple with there patents legit like a week after they bought moto right.

unreal man just unreal,motorola is a failing android maker and they only make phones for 1 carrier and that's Verizon.Google bought them for there patents and everyone but you I guess knew that.

to this very day there still has not been a nexus made by Motorola,you do know what a nexus is right?
how naïve are you?did you want google to just put out a press release saying they just bought them for there patents lol
To suggest that patents are the sole reason for the purchase is asinine. To suggest Google has no interest in Motorola's hardware is even more asinine. To ignore the parts of the very press release you linked to, simply because it doesn't support your argument is imbecilic. Oh and by the way, you can drop the condescending tone..I have owned every Nexus created...and in my office, just about every person either has a Galaxy Nexus or a Nexus 4..so yeah I am quite familiar with Nexus....and 9.9/10, a lot more than you. ;)

the android nexus team(you know the developers that make android)have never to this day worked with Motorola to make a device.

If they cared about the moto hardware they would of made a pure android nexus phone using Motorola .
...OR perhaps they realize the OEM alienation that would have caused, and thus chose not to go that route. :rolleyes:

now back on to tizen,what did you want Samsung to do when they are facing apple in court that could of lead them to pull all there phones off the market for stupid dress patents apple was fighting them for.The started tizen as a plan b if they had to leave android.
As I've already stated, I think Tizen has more to do with Google and Motorola, than anything Apple is doing. Samsung needs something to fall back on in the event Google begins to keep things in-house with Motorola. It is smart for them to have an insurance policy.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
You do know moto is a cdma cell maker right?

you do know that google hates cdma and does not have the nexus 4 on any cdma network right

Ill bet my nexus and my gs3 that you are not using a nexus device

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/08/21/and-now-google-sues-apple/

As Anthony points out, Google is now suing Apple over patents that it says are owned by the newly acquired Motorola Mobility. Given that we are rapidly reaching the lawsuit horizon, where everybody has or is suing everyone else, we might actually end up with a sensible clarification of the law on what patents are actually valid and how. We certainly need this to happen, for there to be a sorting out.

We’ve Apple suing Samsung in certain parts of the world over design patents: essentially concerning the look and feel of products, not the specific manner in which they work. Apple has managed to get certain Samsung products banned from sale in certain territories, failed in others. We’ve Samsung suing Apple in the US over certain standards essential patents. Effectively Apple says that as Samsung won’t license them on the agreed reasonable and non-discriminatory terms then Apple ain’t gonna pay nuttin’ No Sir!

Motorola has already sued Apple over similar standards based patents. Now the new suit is over non=essential patents. As Anthony says, this is significantly different:

The Wall Street Journal reports that Google/Motorola is alleging that Apple has infringed on seven of its patents, none of which are standard-essential. This distinction is important. As FOSS Patents explains, “The announcement comes six days before the target date for a final decision on the ITC investigation of Motorola’s first ITC complaint against Apple (July 23). A preliminary ruling by an ITC judge held Apple to infringe only one of Motorola’s asserted patents, which is a standard-essential one that raises competition issues and is, therefore, less likely to result in an actual import ban.”

If a patent is deemed to be “essential” to an “industry standard,” then, as Tim Cook told Walt Mossberg, there is just “an economic argument” about how much licensees have to pay the patent holder, but courts rarely grant injunctions for standard-essential patents.

On non-essential patents import bans can be and indeed are sometimes enforced. Indeed, Apple is asking for such a ban on Samsung products. And Google is asking for such a ban on Apple products. Just for those who don’t know this, Samsung’s products run Google’s Android operating system which brings us full circle in this group suing each other.

The thing that interests me most in all of this though is how much it has cost Google to be able to do this. The headline price for Motorola Mobility was $12.5 billion. Which we might think is a pretty high price to pay for a loss making handset maker and a few patents. Even the ability to entirely nail Apple (if they can) is expensive at that price. However, as it was pointed out to me when they made the purchase, that’s not actually the real price to Google of this wonderful opportunity to attack Apple. That’s more like $3.8 billion.

For Motorola had a series of accumulated tax losses which can be set against future Google profits. Thus lowering considerably the real as opposed to headline costs.
Plus, of course, there’s the potential to collect royalties on these patents being asserted (assuming they are successfully so asserted) and the opportunity to nail Apple seems to come almost for free. At least, in this rarefied world of large telecoms companies, where a $billion here or there seems to be a rounding error.

As I noted at the start my main hope is that once everyone has sued everyone, all the appeals courts have had their say, then the law on patents, who can do what with them, should be much clearer. That’s what we all might get out of it of course. But along the way we might get some interesting diversions: for example, it’s actually possible that Apple won’t get Samsung kit banned from the US but Google might get Apple kit so banned. And wouldn’t that be fun? Very much the biter bit that would be.

Since Google (NSDQ:GOOG) bought Motorola Mobility last May and subsequently axed 4,000 jobs, Google took ownership of that company's 17,000 patents. It was a windfall for the patent-lacking Google. Moto has contended it has tried to work out an arrangement for the use of the patents with Apple, but it has been unsuccessful in those negotiations. Potentially, Google could succeed in getting a U.S. import ban placed on Apple devices, which are manufactured in China.

The patent infringement lawsuit was filed one week before a decision is expected on an earlier International Trade Commission investigation of Motorola's first ITC complaint against Apple. A preliminary ruling found that Apple may have violated one of the patents in that case. However, the patent was a "standard-essential" one, which means it would not be subject to an import ban.

Patent infringement lawsuits in IT have become a common occurrence, often with the same players repeatedly taking each other to court. Motorola and Apple are involved in litigation not only in the United States but also in Europe. The courts seem to be suffering from patent litigation exhaustion: For example, earlier this summer, Judge Richard Possner dismissed a patent infringement suit between the two companies, noting that, "I have tentatively decided that the case should be dismissed with prejudice because neither party can establish a right to relief. The trial scheduled to begin this coming Monday is therefore canceled."

Last edited:

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Don't be an imbecile..

ohh wait and moto cells have locked bootloaders that are encrypted and impossible to hack so no devs can even make custom roms and kernals for them.

yeah Im sure google wanted to blow BILLIONS for that pos company to help make better unlocked open android phones.

lets not forget that literally the day after they bought moto they filed suit against apple.

Samsung gets android for free and the whole point of android is to be opened sourced and the nexus now that is made by LG with google have developed on a lg phone and not on a moto phone,they also went full unlocked and open gsm radio bands meaning they could do what ever they wanted and were not going to listen to any cdma carrier to do what they want,like when Verizon took out google wallet on the old nexus phone and how Verizon locked the bootloader on the gs3 phone and every other network kept it unlocked.
he nexus 4 is not even a true lte 4g phone it runs 3g because of the radio bands that allows google to sell the phone world wide and not be limited to anyone holding it back.

Ill believe the bs you are typing when I see an unlocked moto nexus phone

why would google go with moto when they only make phones for one company and based on cdma?That is the worst company and platform to buy looking at it as a android platform

maybe they bought them for those 17000 patents on cellular technology was the reason,just saying
think about it and sleep on it

ten bucks says the next nexus will be by sony or even apple before we see one by moto

Last edited:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
ohh wait and moto cells have locked bootloaders that are encrypted and impossible to hack so no devs can even make custom roms and kernals for them.
It's obvious you don't know very much about Google and how it operates. If you did, you would know why that statement doesn't matter.

yeah Im sure google wanted to blow BILLIONS for that pos company to help make better unlocked open android phones.
maybe they bought them for those 17000 patents on cellular technology was the reason,just saying
think about it and sleep on it
Nobody said it was THE reason...it is A reason... :rolleyes: You seem to be under the impression that patents are the sole reason for the purchase...even though in the very link you provided, they even debunk your theory. But hey, don't let facts get in your way.. :p

Ill believe the bs you are typing when I see an unlocked moto nexus phone
Since you continue to make unintelligent comments (such as the one about owning a Nexus)...I think we're done here.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Um, Samsung already has an app store and they have been using Kies for a while now. Once Tizen becomes known it is linked to Samsung, i dont think there will be a problem with the name brand.

Right now Tizen isnt anything but a concept and one at this moment, i myself dont care about. Maybe later on i will if it becomes something that is good.

Good catch =D

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
you do know that google hates cdma and does not have the nexus 4 on any cdma network right

Google hates CDMA? Are you telling me that Google hates a specific technology?

Do you have any document released by Google saying this or are you just making it up to help prove your point?

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I think Samsung should release a version for s3. No root no hacks or whatever. Just give me the choice ... Android or Tizen or Ubuntu!

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Bada was never meant for high end devices. That's where Android came in. But when Google bought Motorola, that changed things. Any OEM with half a brain would have been concerned. Hence Samsung's move to developing Tizen. Nobody knows how Tizen will do, but one thing's for sure, Samsung is moving forward with SOMETHING rather than sitting on their laurels. That's more than I can say for a company that barely upgrades their hardware and keeps an OS looking the same since 2007. Keep the hatin'. ;)

But it's been said over, and over that Google only purchased Motorola for it's patents to help shield itself against all of the lawsuits coming from Microsoft, and Apple. Using the argument that Motorola was all in for Android since day one, and they seemed like a natural fit is a load of crap. That was a $12 billion purchase that has yet to materialize into anything. Tizen really reminds me of WebOS. Only time will tell here, but I think Android on Samsung devices is here to stay.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Unless Tizen can flawlessly run Android apps, its going to fail. Platforms successes revolve around Apps, whats the number 1 complaint about Windows Phone right now? Lack of major apps. Blackberry 10 can emulate them, but it's only Android 2.2, and it's far from perfect.

The only way I'll see it succeed is if Tizen has the Google Play Store with it, and you can simply download and run Android apps like native.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.