Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
HDR, for one.

Good example, I believe I remember hacks to get that working on the 3Gs (maybe 3G) when it was native on the iPhone 4. Hmm I wonder if there is a hack to get a photo during video on my 4S like is native on the iPhone 5?

I for one am a bit nervous of iOS 7 being that I have a 4S. I got all the software the 5 did (minus the photo during video) so I'm sure there will be something I don't get just hope its nothing really cool.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No thanks for a dedicated back button. I accidentally click them so easily on the S3 and Note 2 when I used them extensively. Was annoying when viewing videos and turning the phone.

Never happens to me. I really dont see how you can do this since the button is so far down. You must hold the phones funny.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't give a damn what the average user does. That's not what the thread is about. And you'd be surprised at the amount of "average" users who come to me asking "why can't I do this" or "why can't I do that? My old phone could." I don't think you have enough information to come to the conclusion that people don't want or need choice. People get iPhones because of marketing and getting what their friends have. Not because they like being trapped in a bubble.

You're right, this thread is about people wishing that iOS was more like Android without realizing that maybe they don't like iOS like they used to. They don't realize that maybe they'd be happier paying 350$ or so for a Nexus 4 or getting a Note 2 next time they update.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I update every 12 months and my 2 month old Nexus 4 is my first real attempt with Android, and I like it.

Would I switch back to iOS, if the inovation in terms or both software and hardware was there, I would seriously consider it.

There are something's in Android I just like and for me just do what I want. Like the ability to download any file and send it in an email. Or change my default browser.

Also, cost. My Nexus 4 was half the price of my iPhone 5. When a device can do what I want it to do for £300 or, let's assume iOS 7 brings everything I want, for £600, I'm going to choose the £300 device and spend the other £300 on something far better than a smartphone

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Just trying to think of what else could be missing beyond that but nothing comes to mind.

I'm not arguing that Nexus users are screwed and iOS is b3tt3r!!!1. I'm simply pointing out the fact that they are the same. Newer devices get newer/better features, be it Android, iOS or Windows.

No need to construe this as a iOS vs. Android war. I'm just pointing out facts. That goes for you too, jrswizzle.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm not arguing that Nexus users are screwed and iOS is b3tt3r!!!1. I'm simply pointing out the fact that they are the same. Newer devices get newer/better features, be it Android, iOS or Windows.

No need to construe this as a iOS vs. Android war. I'm just pointing out facts. That goes for you too, jrswizzle.

I was genuinely curious when you said that the Galaxy Nexus lacked features as I wasn't personally aware of any! I've always been under the impression that they were the same. :)

Apologies if I came across anything other than inquisitive. You've taught me something new today!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
For me to come back to iOS (on a phone) I need to see....

Some sort of live icon or updating icon. I'm not talking about badges.

Toggles. For God's sake, toggles!

A notification center that doesn't suck (live icons could help here as well)

Those are the big ones for me. I'd come back in a heartbeat. iOS could learn a lot from Android and WP8 right now and make the best of three worlds.

But Apple own't do it. I'm pretty certain of that. I hope they prove me wrong!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Those are the big ones for me. I'd come back in a heartbeat. iOS could learn a lot from Android and WP8 right now and make the best of three worlds.

Well im not sure why some are waiting for Apple to do these things just so they can run back to them. Whats wrong with the devices that DO have these things?

Its been 2.7 years since ive used an iPhone and i havent missed it at all after the 3 weeks that went by and i got used to Android i saw how great it was.

Apple would really have to do something spectacular for me to consider going to an iPhone again and even then, if it is only a 4" screen, its a no go.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
You're right, this thread is about people wishing that iOS was more like Android without realizing that maybe they don't like iOS like they used to. They don't realize that maybe they'd be happier paying 350$ or so for a Nexus 4 or getting a Note 2 next time they update.

Ugh. No it is not about making iOS = android.

It was about taking a couple great things from android and seeing if that would make ios "better".

----------

Hmm that sounds scary. Meaning android is just a stopgap for some people here until apple does their bidding?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
...this thread is about people wishing that iOS was more like Android without realizing that maybe they don't like iOS like they used to.....

I see nothing wrong with that. Even in the dark ages of Android, the OS had a much better notifications system that trumped iOS's in every way. Now, after Apple ripped off Android to get get better notifications, folks are even more satisfied with their devices.

Well im not sure why some are waiting for Apple to do these things just so they can run back to them. Whats wrong with the devices that DO have these things?

Its been 2.7 years since ive used an iPhone and i havent missed it at all after the 3 weeks that went by and i got used to Android i saw how great it was.

Apple would really have to do something spectacular for me to consider going to an iPhone again and even then, if it is only a 4" screen, its a no go.

I agree with you 100%. For me, I'd probably never go back to an iPod Touch or iPhone. I've been looking for a Palm TX replacement since 2006 and the Note II has been it without a doubt.

Although, I'd love to see an much improved OS for the iPad side of things. I don't see myself getting an Android tablet as of yet. The Note puts my iPad to shame in terms of functionality and portability, but and iPad Mini with those OS features would keep me in the Apple camp for larger computing.

Hmm that sounds scary. Meaning android is just a stopgap for some people here until apple does their bidding?

I think that's perfect. Nothing would wake Apple up faster than loosing market-share. They won't change a thing if people keep buying what they're peddling.

robrob74

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
The one thing I'd like is to have a file folder to which you can download files to from safari or transfer files to through iTunes, upon going into this folder, you can click on any file and your "open in" would pop up with all compatible apps. I currently use a download app to accomplish this, but to have it natively in safari would be great.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I see nothing wrong with that. Even in the dark ages of Android, the OS had a much better notifications system that trumped iOS's in every way. Now, after Apple ripped off Android to get get better notifications, folks are even more satisfied with their devices.

I agree with you 100%. For me, I'd probably never go back to an iPod Touch or iPhone. I've been looking for a Palm TX replacement since 2006 and the Note II has been it without a doubt.

Although, I'd love to see an much improved OS for the iPad side of things. I don't see myself getting an Android tablet as of yet. The Note puts my iPad to shame in terms of functionality and portability, but and iPad Mini with those OS features would keep me in the Apple camp for larger computing.

I think that's perfect. Nothing would wake Apple up faster than loosing market-share. They won't change a thing if people keep buying what they're peddling.

True but what I find "scary" is all those android users itching to go back to apple once they "fix" iOS....as in there is no inherent qualities in android?

I have used it and I would say the only lacking thing is a solid phone that completely married the OS, with a very optimized software. Nexus doesn't match that 100% still.

I have always maintained that google should get serious with their nexus line. They have done that with the tablets, why not the phone?

Now on topic, I would like to add that iCloud for a non apple ecosystem person is not as great to use and I wish it was more compatible. Unless I purchase music from iTunes, I don't have a choice to upload my own non itunes songs unless I buy iTunes Match on a per year basis. I dont like that, and IF i got it right google music doesn't have that limitation.

Then the fact that idevices are anti social devices. If I have my own Mac/pc, ipad and iPhone, great! If I want to share down thing from another pc, whether it is my second machine or someone else's, it is a PITA. Basically, I see the "I" in those devices as "only me and no one else". Like a kid has candy and he says "it is for me only, no one else. Stay away". I don't know, bad analogy maybe as I suck at them but I get a similar feeling when I use my devices.

Photo stream is ok I guess but not a true competitor to cloud picture storage where your pictures aren't deleted if you don't delete. Still, I want to share albums, not just individul pics, no idea how to do it using photo stream. With Dropbox for example, I can auto upload a picture to my pc far away in the proper folder without having to manage the albums on pc. Can do it directly on a mobile device.

----------

The one thing I'd like is to have a file folder to which you can download files to from safari or transfer files to through iTunes, upon going into this folder, you can click on any file and your "open in" would pop up with all compatible apps. I currently use a download app to accomplish this, but to have it natively in safari would be great.

Oh yeah, now that an ipad can be jailbroken, safari can become a true modern browser. I get that on the iPhone someone may not need it, but no native upload ability on safari is stupid. And not everyone uploads pictures all day. What about allowing us to upload any file from safari? Guess what, apparently some cydia devs can do it and there is a tweak for that.

Same for downloading a file to a folder of your choice and even in an app folder, SDM does it.

Those things would make an ipad even better. They are also not as hard to implement or break anything as seen from the actual use of those tweaks.

Thank god for jailbreak.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Never happens to me. I really dont see how you can do this since the button is so far down. You must hold the phones funny.

Ditto. With all the phones I've had over the years, this has not happened to me even a single time.

Most people hold a phone at it's bottom - doesn't sound odd to me.
Most people don't grip the phone from the front.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Ditto. With all the phones I've had over the years, this has not happened to me even a single time.

Most people don't grip the phone from the front.

Actually this is where i would swear at my GS3 sometimes too.

I am watching youtube in landscape mode, my thumb wanders to the back key and boom, video lost.

Happened daily, annoyed me lots.

This is where i like actual physical and on screen buttons as they tend to resist that.

My other issue with GS3's flimsy build was the volume control. So it is in my pocket and it is chilly (Today it is -22C here btw). I put my hand inside the pocket. Somehow my finger pushed on the volume rocker and my ears get a huge shock from the abrupt volume increase to the max (was wearing headphones), again happened frequently.

Funny thing is that this did not happen on Galaxy S1 captivate, or the Xperia Arc when i had it, and never happens on the iPhone 5 as the volume buttons are solid and need some real force to depress.

This is not android vs. iOS btw, so do not take it as that. This is my annoyance with how samsung builds their phones. Sure some people may have no issues, but I did and it annoyed me so much that it was one of the factors for a switch to the iPhone. Android itself was great, phone was not.

And this seems to be my issue with most android phones. The OS is fantastic. I don't even have any problems with "lag", that split second difference means nothing to me, and my apps never crashed a lot, everything "just worked" and was stable and reliable unlike things blown here by people.

But my gosh, the OEMs try their best to dismember the android experience as much as possible. Ugh.

4.2.2 JellyBean on iPhone 5? I would be happy forever.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think it should crash more and have a robot icon on bootup instead of the apple logo :rolleyes:

----------

Most people hold a phone at it's bottom - doesn't sound odd to me.

Not sure what you mean by that. I dont see most people doing that. I see most people holding it like this, or very similar to this. I hold it this way but have my pinky underneath it a lot of times and ive never hit the back button on accident.

Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_Sprint_35326393_06_610x436.jpg

----------

Actually this is where i would swear at my GS3 sometimes too.

I am watching youtube in landscape mode, my thumb wanders to the back key and boom, video lost.

Happened daily, annoyed me lots.

This is where i like actual physical and on screen buttons as they tend to resist that.

My other issue with GS3's flimsy build was the volume control. So it is in my pocket and it is chilly (Today it is -22C here btw). I put my hand inside the pocket. Somehow my finger pushed on the volume rocker and my ears get a huge shock from the abrupt volume increase to the max (was wearing headphones), again happened frequently.

Funny thing is that this did not happen on Galaxy S1 captivate, or the Xperia Arc when i had it, and never happens on the iPhone 5 as the volume buttons are solid and need some real force to depress.

This is not android vs. iOS btw, so do not take it as that. This is my annoyance with how samsung builds their phones. Sure some people may have no issues, but I did and it annoyed me so much that it was one of the factors for a switch to the iPhone. Android itself was great, phone was not.

And this seems to be my issue with most android phones. The OS is fantastic. I don't even have any problems with "lag", that split second difference means nothing to me, and my apps never crashed a lot, everything "just worked" and was stable and reliable unlike things blown here by people.

But my gosh, the OEMs try their best to dismember the android experience as much as possible. Ugh.

4.2.2 JellyBean on iPhone 5? I would be happy forever.

I never had that issue either. I guess its just where or how you grab the phone. I love the capacitive buttons and would prefer they get rid of the physical home button though i dont have any issues with the home button either, i just think it looks better without it.
I wouldnt like having buttons that you have to push hard to get them to work. That would irritate me.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Not sure what you mean by that. I dont see most people doing that. I see most people holding it like this, or very similar to this. I hold it this way but have my pinky underneath it a lot of times and ive never hit the back button on accident.

----------

I never had that issue either. I guess its just where or how you grab the phone. I love the capacitive buttons and would prefer they get rid of the physical home button though i dont have any issues with the home button either, i just think it looks better without it.
I wouldnt like having buttons that you have to push hard to get them to work. That would irritate me.

I guess it works if you are right handed then.

My fingers can touch the back button because i don't hold the phone in my right hand like in the picture above.

But watching stuff in landscape is still prone to accidental touching because i grab the device in both sides at the edges. If i keep it in one hand only held from the back, my hand gets tired much faster. If i use two hands, i press back and lose the video, it was a never ending vicious cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.