Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
I want a Label input :(

This, and tag support like iPhoto has. Also, Composer View would make much more sense if iTunes would recognize or allow the input of separate names for composers rather than just one single string of all composers involved.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Because it's the only (legit) way to transfer media from a computer to an iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Oh, okay. I didn't realise that was still the case (I thought they were all now 'PC free').

Then I'm even more surprised that iTunes is so bad if its the only interface between their computers and their top selling products. I thought iTunes used to be quite good, shame it's gone so downhill.

----------

You know what would be great now? Mac OS X 10.8.3 update, it is not asking for much.

Why? Are there big problems with 10.8.2?

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Yeah, automatic consolidation when it's mounted would be an excellent idea. The thing is most Apple laptops now have teeny tiny SSD drives, but peoples media collections are only getting bigger. It would be nice if iTunes could cater a bit more to those who need to use an external.

I use my Time Capsule as external storage, which is probably why I'm always forgetting to quit iTunes before leaving my house. I have to manually consolidate my library several times a week because of this. Maybe I should just use a physical external HD. Would make it easier to remember.

I also have my music library on TC and haven't had problems with the iTunes Library. I have the TC set to mount at start up - maybe that's the trick?
Anyways, maybe that'll help you.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
The best update they could give Itunes is to delete it and let people put stuff on their iphones through a finder-like interface.

Itunes is a bag of hurt. Ive hated it since day one.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
The best update they could give Itunes is to delete it and let people put stuff on their iphones through a finder-like interface.

Itunes is a bag of hurt. Ive hated it since day one.

I will be on all Google software devices soon, or on Windows. iTunes in its latest iteration is disgusting. Their total iOS'ing of the OS is bumming me out super hard. iTunes Match is also worthless. Changed my catalog, artwork and genres. Wrong titles on artwork etc... What happened? I been a Apple user since 94'

Dear Apple,
Please no watches, no tvs, just do what you do good software and ok hardware, make it clean and intuitive... and please make iCloud work :facepalm
with love
Donnie D

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I'm guessing Apple wishes people would just use one Apple ID.

:)

How is guessing required? Apple has been consolidating the logins for the support forums, Apple Store, iTunes Store etc for years now. They've said straight out "we want you to have all your activities with us under one ID."

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Yes! Until I scroll all the way through all 4600 albums and let the artwork load then its fine. It is annoying that I have to do this now every time I restart iTunes to get the scrolling to run smoother.

It has always been like this and this is something I don't actually get - Apple TV or iPhone/iPad do manage to have the artwork available from the very first second. Given the limited recsources of iOS compared to OS X hardware this is not quite understadable.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
but i wanna use that feature. i'd always have to tick/untick that. i just want a setting that it puts my movies and tv shows to another location than my music.
The closest you can do is the "Organize Library..." choice and there's a checkbox that will sort the different media types into separate folders. So music is in one, and movies in another, etc. But they all live in the library folder, so you can't split them between drives.

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Composer's View! Holy Grail, at Apple they have finally discovered that there are other musical genres, apart for Country and Western!

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Thank god, finally a Composers view. As a classical musician, when I search for music, I tend to search by composer and not so much artists. And since so many titles are similar, it's hard to search by song (ha, like I remember any opus numbers).

It doesn't help if you have a bunch of stuff in different genres and different requirements for each genre. Like you, if I want to listen to classical, I tend to search by composer. But, if it's other genres such as folk or rock, then I'll go by artist or album. That doesn't work easily here. Guess, what I want is to have genres in the sidebar.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It doesn't help if you have a bunch of stuff in different genres and different requirements for each genre. Like you, if I want to listen to classical, I tend to search by composer. But, if it's other genres such as folk or rock, then I'll go by artist or album. That doesn't work easily here. Guess, what I want is to have genres in the sidebar.

Not sure I see the issue. You can put (e.g.) "Classical" in the search box and press Enter to filter by genre in the new Composer view. Alternatively, and this is how I've been using iTunes 11, you can either create a classical playlist with column browser columns composers/groupings/artists, or create smart playlists for your favorite classical composers and set them to show the artist list or album view.

lmddawson

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Seems they've disabled the ability to drag and drop new songs into your library. What's the point :mad:

eatapc

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
How is guessing required? Apple has been consolidating the logins for the support forums, Apple Store, iTunes Store etc for years now. They've said straight out "we want you to have all your activities with us under one ID."

Apple will not let me consolidate my two accounts (one created accidentally). I've begged. Phone support, e-mail support, the Genius Bar -- all said it was impossible.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
It has always been like this and this is something I don't actually get - Apple TV or iPhone/iPad do manage to have the artwork available from the very first second. Given the limited recsources of iOS compared to OS X hardware this is not quite understadable.

It has never been like this for me and I've been on iTunes since day 1. It has been like this as far as loading artwork on my iPad and Apple TV. Exactly the opposite of what you say. i can understand my iPad mini having a problem loading artwork (in remote app) for 4600 albums but a macbook pro with 8gb of ram should not all of the sudden after an update have problems rendering artwork on iTunes.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Sorry to be that guy, but:

Minor update to iTunes... front page news? This seems like the perfect thing to put on Page 2 or Mac Blog or whatever.

Any update to the dog that is iTunes 11 is welcome IMHO. This thing has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese so I doubt this update will address even a minor proportion of the problems but it's better than nothing. I just hope to god someone somewhere in Apple is working night and day on an iTunes 12 that fixes all the problems.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Any update to the dog that is iTunes 11 is welcome IMHO. This thing has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese so I doubt this update will address even a minor proportion of the problems but it's better than nothing. I just hope to god someone somewhere in Apple is working night and day on an iTunes 12 that fixes all the problems.

What holes are they?

redshield3

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
This is still my #1 problem. 27" iMac
uNA8NZt.jpg

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I STILL want album covers displayed larger than a postage stamp. Clearly it's set up for a Macbook-sized screen, but they get completely lost on a 27" imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.