Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
in such short time. a year ago iPad3 with Retna display came out, then the 4, and now the 128GB iPad4, all within 12 month period. i doubt anybody stood in line for the iPad4 like they did for the first couple releases. imo, Apple is cheapening the iPad brand.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
People don't stand in line for MacBook Pro spec bumps either. The iPad is becoming a mature product; it won't be reinventing the wheel every year.

S

syd430

People were going nuts for the Apple II in the 70's too I believe. A tablet is a tablet. It's not really going to fundamentally change, just like the PC never did. It's all iterative updates from here on out. Don't worry too much though, the iWatch will be out soon if you need something new to throw your money at.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's still a lot less than Samsung by example ;)

In all honesty tho the 4 needed to happen to bring all apples iOS devices inline with the same connector technology. As for the 128gb models I'd say that's a smart move as bulk purchases reduce future cost. ;)

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Just the opposite, Apple is strengthening the iPad "brand" if you will. But really Apple is more concerned with the "apple" brand , not the iPad brand.

zerind

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
"cheapen the brand" ... I'm confused. You do realize this is a mass produced consumer gizmo that they make millions of, right? This isn't some limited edition luxury item, but rather a commodity. How exactly are they cheapening the brand?

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Well, the only mistake has been the iPad 4 seven months later than the iPad 3. Partially justified by the lightning connector and the adjustment of specs because the Retina display required the cpu of the iPad 4 since its launch and last but not least, to maximize the profits during Christmas.
The 128GB is just an increase of storage to compete with Surface tablets but it's still an iPad 4.

A truly reshaping of Apple and iPad brands would be the iPad 5/Mini 2 on March (and the next next generation on Fall), but I doubt that it's going to happen.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Btw, if Apple is cheapening the iPad brand by updating it once or twice a year, I wonder what that says about the Galaxy S, Galaxy S Duos, Galaxy SII, Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S WiFi, Galaxy Xcover, Galaxy Y, Galaxy W, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Gio, Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Camera.
I don't even know what half of that stuff is supposed to be, though I understand the difference between an iPad and an iPad Mini. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
What I meant is that the iPad 3 was kinda slow due to the retina display by the time it was released already. The iPad 4 needed to happen not only for the Lightning port, but for the A6X as well.

In terms of a gaming device your right but for a lot of people it is not a gaming device in the first place. I too have some games on my 3 and they all play very well (GOF2HD is laggy on def Resolution though). But for University I don't see big differences because reading and writing is excellent on both iPad 3 and 4.

The 4 happened MOSTLY because of the Connector. Maybe the A6 Chip was designed to work with the 3 but didn't make it in time so they threw it in the 4 instead. The 4 is really just a speed bump and no real update. The future will tell us more :)

Giuly

macrumors 68040
But for University I don't see big differences because reading and writing is excellent on both iPad 3 and 4.
Try using Safari with more than one tab open, it gets creeping slow.

The worst thing about Safari, even on a Mac, is that if you have enough tabs open, it starts randomly to reload all of them when you switch between them and i.e. wipe your forms. I'm complaining about this for years now, but I guess it's rocket science to cache the contents of a tab in it's current state including any form data on the hard drive when the RAM is full. Purging and reloading is surely easier.

Last edited:

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Try using Safari with more than one tab open, it gets creeping slow.

What a load of bull.

I use my iPad 3 for browsing more than anything else and I use safari with multiple tabs and never has this happened.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think Apple have(or had) an aggressive release schedule for the iPad as they wanted to dominate a fledgling but hugely important industry.

Yes, it does mean there aren't the same kind of big, wham-bam announcements. But I think it'll be difficult for Apple to keep making big annoucements for the iPad, as they're a bit limited in what they can do with such a small and simple enclosure. New expansion bays/slots? No. New design? Limited options. Marginally thinner/faster/better-battery-life? Great, but hardly a huge announcement.

----------

The worst thing about Safari, even on a Mac, is that if you have enough tabs open, it starts randomly to reload all of them when you switch between them and i.e. wipe your forms. I'm complaining about this for years now, but I guess it's rocket science to cache the contents of a tab in it's current state including any form data on the hard drive when the RAM is full. Purging and reloading is surely easier.

On the Mac, I think that's a bug, it happens to me occasionally too. I think it's a WebKit process crashing, which forces all the tabs to reload. It's not 'correct' behaviour.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
I don't think that Apple is cheapening the iPad brand, they are moving along with the market. Every day the manufacturers are coming up with faster CPUs, and GPUs. Apple is the market leader in tablet market and they have the every right to protect it.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted on this forum.

Good for you to not be affected by this, but for me Safari gets unresponsive and it's annoying. Maybe I just push it too much with 15 or more tabs of pages that make use of JavaScript. Here's an experiment for you: Open 10 tabs with subforums, then go to theverge.com and slowly scroll down to load all the images. Notice how it starts to take some time do display the page as you approach the bottom. Once you hit it, switch tabs.

The iPad 3 might be like an F-22 for you, but since I've received my iPhone 5, it feels just as fast as it really is: Twice as fast as an iPad 1. Hence the need for an A6X version.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
in such short time. a year ago iPad3 with Retna display came out, then the 4, and now the 128GB iPad4, all within 12 month period. i doubt anybody stood in line for the iPad4 like they did for the first couple releases. imo, Apple is cheapening the iPad brand.

I disagree completely.

While its true the timing is short between models, Apple's doing things today they would never have tried before. It's as though they're confused.

----------

Btw, if Apple is cheapening the iPad brand by updating it once or twice a year, I wonder what that says about the Galaxy S, Galaxy S Duos, Galaxy SII, Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S WiFi, Galaxy Xcover, Galaxy Y, Galaxy W, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Gio, Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Camera.
I don't even know what half of that stuff is supposed to be, though I understand the difference between an iPad and an iPad Mini. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how these Android Haters sleep at night ?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

why do you care if people stood in line for the ipad4 and the last time i heard, the ipad3 and ipad4 was still a quality product minus whatever QC issues.

more than the usual product releases...yes. cheapening the brand...no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.