Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So with production back to normal it can only mean a new one is not too far off :D

And like others here, if the next Mini is retina I'll get one, never bought an iPad before and my 3Gs is getting old, knowing new models are not too far off is the many reason I'm not getting the current Mini, retina or not I like the size and weight, or lack or it.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
So are you basically repeating the same stuff that was said about the iPad 3 and how no way it could be retina because of those same reasons and we wouldn't see it till iPad 4?

Well the iPad 3 got thicker, didn't it? Apple had to compromise the thickness of the design which they won't or shouldn't do with the mini. Compromising the thickness of the mini would defy the purpose of the device. I'm with nagromme on this one, which actually seems likely given that some credible computer hardware magazine sites such as Anandtech says it would be close to impossible to pull it off without making a significant trade-off.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wish it was: Apple managed to improve its poor iPad mini display

How can a company have a hard time making lo res fuzz screen like that? Great job Apple, finding some quality partners in the post-Samsung world :rolleyes:

I suppose you should start a company making displays. Can't be difficult, right?

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I really love my iPad mini, and use it a whooole lot more than I used my big iPad. But I am really spoiled with retina display on my MacBook, iPhone and former iPad so I'm really looking forward to the next update!

Well the iPad 3 got thicker, didn't? Apple had to compromise the thickness of the design which they won't or shouldn't do with the mini. Compromising the thickness of the mini would defy the purpose of the device. I'm with nagromme on this one, which actually seems likely given that some credible computer hardware magazine sites such as Anandtech says it would be close to impossible to pull it off without making a significant trade-off.
I'm kinda hoping apple will pull it off, but I'm not quite sure if they can. They can make it a bit thicker, but they can't compromise the width, length and weight. That's what's important about the mini IMO.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
When this thing is retina I buy it. It's that simple. Love the size, the feel, just don't like the less-sharp-than-my-iPhone display. It's jarring.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
So are you basically repeating the same stuff that was said about the iPad 3 and how no way it could be retina because of those same reasons and we wouldn't see it till iPad 4?

Except that you need to do all of it in less space starting at $329 and not $499.

HTC just releases their new flagship phone which does everything that people here want except it does it in a smaller package. However, it will most likely start a $650 off contract. I doubt Apple could sell many iPad minis at $650.

I personally don't care about retina. I just want Apple to incorporate the new display technology that uses less power and use Gorilla Glass 3 for the front panel. I will then be buying an iPad mini2

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Am I the only one hoping for a March release?

If it is a March release seems a bit odd we haven't seen any leaked parts or event rumors. All the rumors about March/April time frame seem to be coming from Wall Street analysts. Probably just more wishful thinking on their part.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I have a suspicion that they will either up the price of the retina mini or reduce the price of the first mini and have them share the market. So $349-mini retina;$299-original. Or something along those lines.

The only problem is with the iPod Touch's price, which is ridiculously high.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Apple, please go Retina without raising the price. I know it will hurt your (bit) margins but you will destroy the market :D

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Apple, please go Retina without raising the price. I know it will hurt your (bit) margins but you will destroy the market :D

Hmmmmm, the lust for destruction and death continues unabated.
Fascinating.
Mega Mini Micro Monstro to the battlefield.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The ipad mini display really isnt that bad. You know I was pissed off at the fact that it wasnt equipped with retina. I was totally against buying an ipad mini. But I have one now. And I love it. It is the same as my ipad 2 was. When I compare it to my mom's ipad mini. There is a difference but its not bad.

On top of that I wasnt waiting til october to buy an ipad mini.

I absolutely love the 'it's not that bad' justification crowd. Mostly because they are going to be the first ones crowing over how great the Retina version is and how it's SO much better than the original.

A close second is the 'Retina is technologically impossible until at least 2014 crowd who acted like it needed to cold fusion to work. Never mind there is very likely Retina prototypes in production right now.

The bronze goes to the 'Mark my words, Apple will never NEVER a Mini' crowd. They were a hoot.

Apple are still absolute geniuses and maximizing their revenue stream. They slow played this one perfectly. They cobbled together the most basic entry level Mini at the highest tangible price point, they could knowing people would flock to the form factor. Zero innovation needed.

Then they focused on getting the Retina version in the pipeline knowing those same buyers would come back again. Now they are just debating if they want to release it in March or October. I'd bet on the latter...mostly because they Mini sales are still strong and they can ride another Christmas rush.

cha-ching

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
If the full size iPad loses some weight and bezel, then a retina mini will be less of a temptation.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less likely it seems that the 2nd gen Mini will be retina, although I really want it to be.

When the iPads are refreshed, the iPad2 will finally go away, since it is no longer needed. The iPad mini serves the same purpose as the lower-cost iPad.

The "iPad with Retina Display" will be the high-end model. So, the next Mini could be a spec bump, with the A6 chip from the iPhone 5 (A6X not needed without a retina display) and more RAM. Maybe a better camera.

The iPad5 will have an A7X chip, and with the high-res screen and ludicrous performance, it'll be a pretty compelling package.

It's going to be a tough decision for sure. The iPad Mini form factor is perfect, but with the bigger iPad getting closer to that form factor, I won't know what to buy!

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
A close second is the 'Retina is technologically impossible until at least 2014 crowd who acted like it needed to cold fusion to work. Never mind there is very likely Retina prototypes in production right now.

Well that's nothing short of an exaggeration. The problem has never been to make a retina screen, but maintaining the same size and weight with a retina screen. It doesn't take a genius, but perhaps some knowledge of chipsets and components to figure it out that it will be very hard to make it happen without a trade-off.

And please don't get all high-and-mighty again.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I wish it was: Apple managed to improve its poor iPad mini display

How can a company have a hard time making lo res fuzz screen like that? Great job Apple, finding some quality partners in the post-Samsung world :rolleyes:

I trust you're joking, unless you normally hold your mini at the tip of your nose. At the normal 1-ft viewing distance, I can't see a difference in clarity between my iPad 3 retina and iPad mini display. I can barely begin to see a difference at about 6 inches from my eyes.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
As for retina, all of the following must be solved first:

* Bigger battery to drive that power-hungry display (remember: the iPad 4 is thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 for this reason!)

* Bigger battery to drive the powerful CPU and GPU needed to drive all those pixels.

* Making that extra-powerful battery happen without the device being thicker and heavier

* Fitting the thicker retina display in the same thin case... so maybe the battery has to be... smaller?

* Achieving high enough yields of the new display--and being confident of those yields (why make a better iPad if that means selling fewer?)

Those will be solved... but soon? I'm doubtful. Sounds like 2014 to me.

I've never understood this argument. Why is retina solvable on an iPod/iPhone/iPad? But somehow not solvable on a Mini? Retina iPad is 0.8 mm thicker and 2 ounces heavier than non-retina iPad. Big deal. Retina iPods are thinner than non-retina iPod. And the (retina) iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter than the (non-retina) iPhone 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.