Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aKCLee

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Canada
poutine

doesn't get more Canadian than this, eh? ;)

8477919590_9221e0c582_c.jpg

8476828711_66f69123c1_c.jpg

8476828287_6b50ecb605_c.jpg

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i always cook for valentine's day. i hate all the amateurs, the crowds and the BS prix fixe menus. in any case, i had chopped off a bit of my finger over the weekend and have been sidelined pretty much this week. determined to stay in, i made a simple iceberg salad and some spaghetti (packaged) and meatballs (frozen) for the kids. for my wife and i, i got some fish eggs. although the kids love the stuff, i rationed their portions. :D paired it with a little billecart salmon.

001Box-vi.jpg

002Tin-vi.jpg

003Setting-vi.jpg

004Prepared-vi.jpg

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
soul reaver, breakfast is king!! how come you didn't get busted for consecutive posts? LOL

friday's lent meal - spinach and mushroom quiche
001Quiche-vi.jpg

served with a little tabasco creme fraiche and some cotija cheese
002Quiche2-vi.jpg

dinner party on saturday
tuna tartare inspired by eric ripert on won ton chip
004Tuna-vi.jpg

bbq shrimp
005Shrimp-vi.jpg

brased short rib, demi glace, parmesan polenta, red wine mushroom, shaved cauiflouwer, asparagus and herb salad
006ShortRib-vi.jpg

my wife made an apple tart with brown butter custard. this was amazing. thanks ann burell.
007Tart-vi.jpg

last night our neighbors came over. she brought this mini pie maker. didn't even know they existed. i'm sold and getting one!
008Pies-vi.jpg

here's my last minute starter salad - iceberg, pasta, fried won ton strips, trader joe's goddess dressing. wish i had some chicken. mandarin oranges and some green onions would be good too. also, that dressing could benefit from a touch of acid.
009Salad-vi.jpg

sorry, forgot to snap the pic of the salisbury steak and garlic mashed. :(

Last edited:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I see lup cheong on the background. What's the other stuff? Kinda looks like Kim Chee. That porridge looks tasty, albeit, more soupy that what I am familiar with. Also, when my grandmother made it, she would have a ton of accoutrements like lettuce, crushed peanuts, salted turnip, green onion and grated ginger. Maybe it's a regional thing.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I see lup cheong on the background. What's the other stuff? Kinda looks like Kim Chee. That porridge looks tasty, albeit, more soupy that what I am familiar with. Also, when my grandmother made it, she would have a ton of accoutrements like lettuce, crushed peanuts, salted turnip, green onion and grated ginger. Maybe it's a regional thing.

It's is lap cheong (Chinese sausage) and the other thing is tripe. Porridge is tasty and healthier too because my girlfriend uses barely instead of rice.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
soulreaver and Mr Kram: great looking homemade meals there!

Here was Valentine's Day dinner at home:

Pan-seared NY Strip with herb & butter mushrooms and braised radishes.
IMGP7763_zpse46b7c9a.jpg

Creme Brûlée
IMGP7797_zpsb703d4a4.jpg

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
It's is lap cheong (Chinese sausage) and the other thing is tripe. Porridge is tasty and healthier too because my girlfriend uses barely instead of rice.

love me some tripe too. that one looks curried.

soulreaver and Mr Kram: great looking homemade meals there!

Here was Valentine's Day dinner at home:

Pan-seared NY Strip with herb & butter mushrooms and braised radishes.

Creme Brûlée
thanks. you're no slouch either...

Last edited:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
eric fresh gnocchi is my favorite. that looks great.

the kids wanted fondue the other night
001Fondue-vi.jpg

002Cheese-vi.jpg

made chicken piccata and rice pilaf for the entree
003Chicken-vi.jpg

last night i cooked some chinese
westlake minced beef soup
001Soup-vi.jpg

kau yuk (braised pork belly) with steamed bao
002KauYuk-vi.jpg

clams with black bean sauce
003Clams-vi.jpg

steamed chicken, lup cheong (sausage) and ****ake mushrooms
004Rice-vi.jpg

pan fried crispy noodles with shrimp and mixed vegetables
005Noodles-vi.jpg

aKCLee

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Canada
dessert

deep fried tempura battered Snickers chocolate bars with two scoops of vanilla ice cream drizzled in chocolate syrup :Q...

8505751772_fb7364006f_b.jpg

Last edited:

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Irish Breakfast

Since this is the resident food thread in MR I figured I would post this question here.

We went to Ireland this past October and I really enjoyed the Irish breakfast every morning (see attached). I was wondering if anyone knows of any way to get authentic Irish sausage(bangers) in the states.

I have been craving having a full Irish breakfast sometimes on the weekends, but it wouldn't be right unless I can get the real authentic sausages. To my knowledge we don't have anything close to them here in the states.

Attachments

• Breakfast.jpg
    Breakfast.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.